I’m an author here for last 5 years, I’ve produced a number of WordPress themes some individually and some with other authors collaboration. I’m soon to be an elite author. I was primarily a developer at first but now I’m more inclined towards designing.
I was thinking to expand my commercial theme development work, for this, I’ve considered a number of routes and I need your advice in this regard. I’m mentioning those routes and their pros and cons which I’ve currently in mind.
1: First approach would be to keep collaborating with authors on percentage basis.
+ author would already know how to develop and support a product on themeforest
+ author would have interest (codependency) in the success of the product
- percentage base profit splitting might not be most economical
2: Second approach would be to open a local office and hire some local developer(s) based on fixed salary.
+ can hire local talent on relatively low and fixed $ amount
- most probably, they will need training about how to develop and support a commercial product
- less codependecy, developer may leave the job for better opportunities and hiring and training new developer will take time.
- recurring office rent and expenses
3: Third approach would be to hire a remote developer on fixed salary. Same pros/cons as above in (2) except.
- can avoid office rent and expenses
- less control over employee
I need your suggestions regarding what could be the best approach.