What's going on Envato?

But to all… how in the world would Envato verify its real ID?

1 Like

“We are sorry but you cannot use the photo from the prison.Thank you” :joy:

3 Likes

With a copy of your bankaccount and a tiny payment for control.

1 Like

Both Audible Magic and Shazam are both accurate, but it’s Audible Magic that Envato would probably want to use for copyright infringement screening. While Shazam would be cheaper to use at no cost to them, it is more for identifying songs as opposed to copyright and there wouldn’t be a built in workflow. Audible Magic’s business model is exactly what is needed. They work with companies that need to insure that uploaded content does not infringe on a copyright. A music licensing platform could benefit from this and it’s probably one of the things Envato has been considering. It’s similar to YouTube’s Content ID, but not limited to one platform. If Envato were to start using it, a copyright owner who enrolled in Audible Magic would not have any music that someone stole from him allowed on this site or any other that uses Audible Magic technology if that copyright holder set the rule to block such uploads. It doesn’t cover everyone, only those who have enrolled in Audible Magic’s content database. But if you want to be safe, this is something worth the cost and doing something is generally better than doing nothing.

Some people might consider the following to be drawbacks -

• Most vendor sites don’t currently use any sort of matching technology, so the person is only protected if a thief attempts to upload to a protected site.

• A copyright holder can currently enroll music in Audible Magic’s database for free, but each song has to have an ISRC code, which is not free. For those in production music with a lot of files, it would be worth it to pay a one time fee for a ISRC registrant code. That then allows you to generate up to 100,000 ISRC codes annually. That’s a one-time registration cost of $95 and you’re done. Otherwise, you can get ISRC codes from a manager service, but you pay for each track. The going rate is about $2 per track, so it can add up if you have a lot of tracks and produce more regularly. Most library owners and composers probably want to pay the $95 and handle their own registrations.

To me, this can be worth it because an ISRC code serves other tracking purposes. Over 60 of my songs have been stolen, so I take this pretty seriously.

2 Likes

Well, it should be. That’s what a queue is for. Any other way is unfair.

And I fully support obbligatory verification.

3 Likes

Some great ideas are being thrown around in here, i hope Envato looks really carefully at them! Wishing all the best to the new reviewers and let’s all hope for some shorter periods in the coming weeks! Cheers!

1 Like

Yes, that’s understood as all music licensing sites rely on disclaimers to toss the ball back on to the court of the person submitting the music and deflect any liability away from themselves. We also realize that you happily accept your share of the licensing fees from stolen music you failed to detect and aren’t obligated to reimburse the rightful copyright holder for any loss. If you’re unable to stop stolen music from being offered on your site because you don’t have any sort of countermeasures in place, you will lose support from your content providers. We musicians have numerous other options with respect to licensing our music. If many authors here decide to explore more secure options and abandon AJ, Envato’s content supply will dwindle along with its profit margins. It certainly looks to me like “the natives are restless”.

Digital download theft and resale is not even close to being a new issue and yet it has been allowed to grow and continue. This is the reality of the current environment for businesses licensing intellectual property in cyberspace. AJ is very well known for being a place where stolen files are offered and free bundles of un-watermarked AJ music are offered throughout the internet. If Envato and other licensing outlets step up to the plate on this problem and embrace automatic content recognition technology with developed solutions for copyright protection (such as Audible Magic, Digimarc and NexGuard) and ID verification, it will be for the betterment of the industry as a whole. We content providers have the responsibility to enroll our content in these services and register our copyrights, but these things will not help us to the extent they can if licensing sites also participate by incorporating ACR technology and third party ID verification into their platform.

Enough already with being cheap. I’ve seen AudioJungle’s earnings because your office was proud enough to make it public. The world has changed and old standards have to change with it. These are your costs of doing business in a high theft environment. Cover the costs by charging rates more comparable with the rest of the royalty free market instead of using a business model based on underselling your competition and targeting people who really would rather pay nothing. Or try creating publishing entities, allowing PRO registered music and collecting your publisher’s share of that performance royalty revenue. Really, I mean sometimes I find it hard to take AJ’s business model seriously, despite the obvious success, because it appears to be based largely on exploitation with little regard for how it affects the industry overall. It doesn’t have to be that way.

There’s going to be a day when disclaimers aren’t going to be acceptable to legitimate copyright holders anymore because they relieve you from due diligence that keeps our copyrights secure. The licensing platforms that can offer solid protection are going to be the ones that survive.

11 Likes

Third party verification services are generally used to authenticate submitted ID. Envato would have to contract one of them to handle authentication or it would just be a façade. Collection of ID without a way to verify them is meaningless. I won’t and should not go into how ID verification services do what they do, but I have worked with some of those services and they are very successful, some more so than others. Just Google “id verification” and you’ll see many of the services with basic discussions of what they offer.

It sounds really strange because I’m Power Elite author and I have the item which is already 62 days in queue, no review. Please be more specific about the priority you are talking about. Honestly the only thing that I feel is disrespect :frowning: Am I wrong?

3 Likes

Same. Though i am not Power Elite, just Elite authors. I mean we are in the same boat.

No priority for Power autor , no priorty for Elite author and no priority for me too. Who is priority here then?

Pirates, fake authors and thieves.

5 Likes

Is this really true! Can they stop them. Who owns Envato now?

1 Like

Very curious about this prioritisation too. Exept maybe elite authors who earned their status and deserve some kind of facilities, the queue for the rest should be fair to all. What criteria should apply for a new author to cut in front of lets say, an author with 1-2-3-4… years? I mean, we all make the same products to sell here and there should be fair play for all…just saying. Thanks

1 Like

Though this weekend`s “crysis” annoys me as well, I think you misread what the Envato guy wrote. He meant that such “prioritisation” was rather an outcome, and not the intention from the start. Kind of experiment that had an unexpected downside to it, almost a bug, hence he accented, that this change was rolled back.

1 Like

WTF. Which GTA? I know that 5 has songs like Lady Gaga and others well-known artists in the world.

It was an account, that just uploaded main soundtrack from GTA to Audiojungle =)) It’s OK for now. Hope soon it wil not happens again

LOOOL and he got sales??

1 Like

Had to wait 30+ days for a track to get it hard rejected but on the other hand someone is uploading tracks from games and they go right through the review process… this is great…

Fully Support!!

1 Like