Lexicon PCM

TDR Kotelnikov

FabFilter ProQ 2

A1 Stereo Imager

Slate VCC

Fabfilter ProL

Here is mine…Sometimes I add and some reverb on master

SPL Vitalizer, Fab FIlter EQ, Waves H Comp, L2 or L3 multimaximizer

iZotope Imager and iZotope exciter. Less is more, especially when you producing for about 6 years.

Just doing a 30 day trial with Fabfilters Saturn. Just used it on a new track I downloaded about 30 minutes ago and I must say it’s a great piece of kit for warming etc. It has the tendency to glue things together very well imo, especiallyl with the ability to use different bands across the spectrum. I’m certainly no mastering expert by any means, but this is worth the 30 day trial for anyone.

I don’t yet have any of these fancy exciters but my chain is:

• EQ
  • Multi-band compressor (very useful)
  • Limiter

Mine goes…EQ, Maximus (multi-band compressor), thrillseeker xtc (free and sweet exciter), Limiter. Then I will have TT Dynamic Range Meter to keep an eye on levels and dynamic range, along with wavecandy’s rms meter, and SSL X-ISM intersample meter, but all of those are just for keeping an eye on the all the levels.

SmartOwlMusic said

Mine goes…EQ, Maximus (multi-band compressor), thrillseeker xtc (free and sweet exciter), Limiter. Then I will have TT Dynamic Range Meter to keep an eye on levels and dynamic range, along with wavecandy’s rms meter, and SSL X-ISM intersample meter, but all of those are just for keeping an eye on the all the levels.

Maximus is great. I use it too!

I’m always put eq after multiband then stero imager and limiter and i see most of author here put eq before multiband comps. Am i doing it wrong all this time

Just Izotope Ozone 6 dynamics and maximizer. Sometimes dynamic EQ on the high end. On my 80’s tracks I also use tape simulator Magnetic II.

Sometimes but not always Waves API 2500, Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter and/or S1 Imager, with the L316 at the end of the chain.

I found Reviver by Fielding DSP is really nice (no aiasing, clean exciter) plugin for busses to excite (29 dolla it’s great). And also I’ve started using two compressor on two buss with more gentle setting then one with “rude” settings: glue and kotelnikov do great job for me.

For rock stuff I have had some success mixing with this video 7 Step Process I found on You-Tube.

It takes a while but it can improve your master. Honestly though I usually go the quick route with TRS RACK, VRM Revival and I do use on every single track the “virtual console” by Slate as well.
I do need to read over these posts and improve my mixing. Note to self ! :open_mouth: LOL
Great Post Though, Interesting how people mix. Cheers!

Fabfilter pro L => s(m)exoscope

As for me, I really like the way ssl comp (from Waves) sounds on master bus. Then I usually put some eq (Logic’s standard or FabFilter), Fab Filter multiband (if needed), maybe some reverb, exciter (Aphex Vintage, for example) and finish with FabFilter Pro L.

By the way, I prefer to do mastering in the same project with composing and mixing. Somebody says that it’s not right and even not professional… well, maybe, but still it is faster and more comfortable (to fix something in mix).

What do you think? Do you do mastering in the same project, or bounce a mixdown and drop to another “mastering project”?

I do in the same project. In my workflow, mastering is just final ab-ing beetwen several commercial records and my mix (via MagicAB). If my mix is weak, I change my mix, but not insert in my 2-buss chain.

BaltaZzar, why you use multiband and reverb on your 2buss?

Curve eq and uad pricision maximizer. I try to keep tracks dynamic, since I found that loudness war does not affect on sales. I try not to do any harm. :wink:

JohnRosso, well, I insert multiband sometimes to add more punch on hi freq, or compress lows. It depends (I just love the way it works)… And about reverb on master - it’s only in orchestral music to add some wide stereo space (I use reverb section of O-Zone ).

I am going to post mine before I start reading all of your guys! Interesting thread (especially if you’re a big producer nerd like me ;).

So lately I’ve been starting mine out with Izotope Ozone 5 - I usually just use the loudness maximizer and the harmonic excitation. Sometimes when I’m close to finishing a track I’ll mess around with the multi-band compression just to see how it makes it sound.

Next I put in a Fabfilter pro Q but I leave it untouched until I am done with the mixdown.

Next is Oxford Inflator which I use to raise the volume a bit more.

Next is another Pro Q which I may not even end up using depending on the mix.

Finally I end with Oxford limiter on the brick wall setting at 0 db threshold.

The alternative to Oxford Limiter is AOMs Invisible Limiter which is pretty sweet too. (Anyone use these or have a preference?).

Quick Summary: Izotope ozone 5 - Fabfilter pro Q - Oxford Inflator - Pro Q - Oxford limiter OR Invisible limiter.

I try to get the absolute best mix down before I mess with EQ at all. My goal being to not have to use the EQ during mastering. Thoughts?

There you go :).

V

http://cs408526.vk.me/v408526516/7292/e_7wIuayuUE.jpg

Good day. Interested in your subject. About 2 years ago I used such a chain of plugins) I really like FabFilter saturn. Its saturation gives the dynamics of the mix and the overall volume RMS. The same property is the Oxford inflator) Recommend)