What is the real definition of Soft Rejection?

As per Envato help center article: https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/204067134-Rejected-Items#what

When an item is Soft Rejected it means that our Quality Team have assessed that the item is almost ready to go up for sale on Envato Market, however the item still needs a couple of small changes before it can be accepted.

But recently, I’ve seen a trend of soft-rejections stating very standard messages such as:

Significant improvements need to be made before being resubmitted. Your item does not provide the necessary design quality to compete in the marketplace at this time…

I believe above stated definition and such standard messages are contrary to each other. Why is so?

Hey there
To tell you the truth i have no idea now on this matter. I mean i see themes that are great and get rejections the you see themes from elite authors that are mediocre and they get approved.

Our theme got 5 soft rejects and it was reviewed by 5 different reviewers they all said different things. Its very hard to figure out what each person wants and to me its all about personal likes and preference. Also there is a bit of politics as well i think.

Cheers

Lester