What is a typical track lifecycle on AudioJungle ?

Hey there,

I had an old account (>1 yr) which had just a couple of simple tracks and that was literally asleep, I recently started again using it by uploading a few motivational and happy tracks to test the ground.

When the music was accepted, I carefully monitored what was happening, and made 10 sales in 3 days (with 3-4 tracks). Even if the stats are not very large, I took my calculator and got pretty excited…

Now, it has been about 8 days. The first 3 days 10 sales. then, nothing. Not a peep…

By your experience, what is the lifecycle of music here? Can a track rise again after a good start followed by a long period of silence?

No :sunglasses:

Exceptions:

Track being featured
You uploading a pack with that track
You uploading a new kit with that track
Someone on VideoHive that bought your track makes a bestselling video template with it
Your track, that was bought by a major ad agency now airs on worldwide TV and generates tons of traffic

GOOD LUCK

1 Like

In short, just keep producing :smile:
I think it’s more rewarding than sitting on laurels for too long

Oh just what happened to me…oh no my bad just dreaming!

1 Like

Typical lifecycle of a track on AJ: 3 days. Sound about right. :+1: :joy:

Uploading something new every 3 days should help. External promotion is what you need for more steady sales.

1 Like

3 Days ??? Seriously lol! What is this ?

Do you sometimes have a track posted weeks or months ago that start selling again, even if it just one sale here and there?

Well, it’s work. Ideally, with production music you should create something new every day. At least, it will get you somewhere.
Resurrections do happen, but only with the help of external promotion. Do not rely on the search engine, do not rely on AJ exposure because in the end it’s all on you.

couldn’t agree more with @WorldBeyond. While there are some external factors that could give you a lift, the real onus is on you, and always on you. If we always depended on external factors for our support, we usually end up pretty disappointed, barring certain situations, but that’s for a different forum :smile:

anyway @ER_Music, it’s great to hear that you can ‘come back from the dead’ and sell some tracks, keep that ball rolling!

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome @DaySwirl.

To be honest guys, I don’t see this like a viable model for the author. For AJ and other low priced stock sites, I have to make a separate catalog as there are some ‘incompatibilities’ with other sites. That takes time.

3-4 tracks making 50-100$ and then dying forever while blocking the time I could be working for my other catalogues (Exclusives, NE high end RF)… I have a rent to pay…So I am not sure I will stay here long if there is no way to make the tracks live more than a couple of days once they are posted.

I don’t want to seem arrogant, but from the feedback I get, my music is pretty above average usually, so it seems to me like a real waste… And just imagine if a batch of tracks, 1 week worth of work, is added to the library a Saturday morning…

I may probably give it a few other go s (some tracks are in queue right now) to disprove what I read here, but if after a few month I see the problem persists, basta, I’ll close the account.

It’s tough, and in the end it depends on what your goal is, and what you’d like AJ to mean for you.

Seems to me that if you upload quality music once or twice a week for AT LEAST 6 months to a year, you might see some sales coming from your wake as well as new uploads. I mean, only .2% of AJ’s authors have cracked 5-digit sales numbers, but it doesn’t take 5-digits to get buyers surfing through your back catalog. Most of them have been selling for 2-5 years before seeing major improvements and visibility.

I personally would love to get an income bump from giving a few hours a week, but time will tell. Good luck on figuring out what to do!

1 Like

I’m new here as a composer as well and haven’t added anything yet. I’ve done production music for about 15 years and I’m very sure this isn’t a viable business model for most composers. I only plan to use this for extra income to pay for equipment and software updates and things like that. I suspect that’s the same for many others here since almost no one is using their real name here. Looking over the artists and numbers, I think it’s fairly obvious that you have to have been on board a long time to have consistent income over extended periods based on a following of regular buyers and being a permanent “front page” fixture as a top seller.

I see a lot of people getting excited about reaching a few hundred sales. But, with the average person, that’s probably not sustainable for long based on what I see when I look at their overall numbers on each track they’ve posted. Usually, they get a big boost from one or two songs and few other things sell. Once their hits fade, that’s probably going to be it. At no more than 70% of $19 (which I’m assuming is the usual license purchased) if you’re exclusive, that’s not much money compared to what you can get in the production music world with far fewer licenses and performance royalties. This might not be worth the time, but we’ll see.

The only real winners are the eternal top sellers and AJ. That’s a very short list considering that they are thousands of composers here.

2 Likes

Well analysed @OvationMusic . I tend to agree, and more I think about it, more I believe I will not upload here anymore. I expect it to equate to much trouble and frustration, while at the same time, I manage better elsewhere. Sure I don’t get money as soon as it is posted, but the lifecycle can be anything from 1 to 5 years.

To be truthful, I desired to try here because I recently manage to find a workflow that allowed me to create a full blown track within a day work (8-10h) without making too many compromises on quality.

Thinking about it, I’d better use this new skill with my usual channels!

Still, I will give Envato a chance. I have 5 OK tracks in my portfolio + 2 in queue. If I see no action in the coming 3-6 months on these, I will most probably leave.