What if my developer misuses the template i purchased ?

Hello there, this is my first time on theme forest, and i wanted to know something. Say i purchased a theme and handed it over to a developer for modification. Later the developer uses it for another project of his without my knowledge. How is this situation dealt with by Envato?.
Will, that harm me somehow?

Hi,

That product is licenced to you. Say, if a gun is registered to you and some one else kills some one with that gun ? Or a Car is licenced to you and accident by other person kills some one and run away ? Those are very common misuses.

Well, you are directly liable man.

Why on earth would you work with someone who poses that risk?

If they have your p/code etc. then they could register the license elsewhere whereby rendering unusuable by you and rpeventign access to updates etc.

Hi

Each theme purchase come with individual license. For your purchase you will get a license (purchase code). For security you should not share purchase code to anyone. You should register the theme using the purchase code to get Autoupdate features and also important for getting theme Author support. And many cases without theme registration with purchase code theme will not work as it should. So, if you register the theme with your purchase code then your developer will no tbe able to register it again with your purchase code and wil not be able to use the theme with full functionality. Because purchase code is unique for each purchase. In case your developer use your purchase code for another project(very less probability) instead of your project/website then you should contact the theme Auhtor and let them know. Theme Author will assist you to deregister the purchase code and register for your website but in this case you must have to be orginial purchaser and have to purchase code.

Thanks

@mgscoder , So how does that work? i keep the code with me and hand over the template to the developer to modify? So can he work on it without the license code?

and if i don’t share the code, in that case, whatever he does with the template outside of my knowledge is not my responsibility right?

Also are purchase codes tied to domain name or something ? Cause i dont want that. Using a regular license i could create a single product freeware that can be downloaded by others.

@charlie4282 , well you never know everyone well enough. If you hire a developer remotely how can you be too sure if he kleeps a digital copy of the software with him or not.

You can’t redistribute items “as is” so this would never be allowed

What i mean is i created a freeware product. Now cant my users download and use it ? It isnt “as is”. It has been adapted to work with a backend.

It depends on how the item works - items cannot be used in any application allowing an end user to customise a digital or physical product to their specific needs, such as an “on demand”, “made to order” or “build it yourself” application.

But yes to answer your other question - the item is regitsered to one domain

Hmm thanks for the response. i think themeforest license info isnt clear. So my end product does not come under “on demand”, “made to order” or “build it yourself” application. It might be a simple ui for a backend that is free. It is a single product. So anyone can download and use it on their server. If license does not allow that then i guess i should look for open source alternatives.

In my opinion this would fall into “any application allowing an end user to customise a digital or physical product to their specific needs

But if in doubt ask support https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks i will do that.