What field recorder has the best sheer quality, not a bunch of fancy stuff?

I’m in the market to buy a new recording device and I’m wondering based on people’s experience what the best recording device is in terms of just the sheer noise reduction, dynamic range compression, clipping, just overall accuracy in recording something. I don’t need like some 10 tracks and 50 terabytes of memory and lies about being analog, I just want something that is going to capture exactly what I hear without a lot of noise or distortion.

Hi PixelLoveLLC

Are you looking for a field recorder or an audio interface? If the former is the case,
I’d recommend you to take a look at the Sony PCM-D100

I am doing field recording every day for many years and had several recorders already
(Roland, Marantz, Zoom, Tascam).
For me, the Sony is the best device I’ve had so far. Especially if you look for a straight-forward, gimmick-free and quality based recorder.

Ok, it is expensive, but definitely worth to consider.

(and one more thing: you need to replace the included windscreen, use rode deat cat
instead).

Yes, nice to have (dream, dream, dream… :slight_smile:

But with all due respect, there are people who can not throw in a few thousand dollars (Euros in your case). In addition, one is hampered with a combination of separate parts quite quickly.
Sure, if you have time is not an issue. But Field Recording often is associated with spontaneity.
So while you are still assembling your Schoeps, I am ready to go with the Sony … :slight_smile:

I am considering the D100, but in my research I can’t find the specs that actually prove it’s a superior recorder and that it is worth the money. Maybe it can record a little over 96000Hz but I’m looking for the quality of audio. You can easily have a sound at 44100Hz sound better than a sound at like 2822400Hz with overdrive clipping, noise reduction, compression and ect. After that it would have to be distance but I can just get a parabolic mic for that.
The sample rate isn’t a concern for me since every recorder at least goes up to 96000. I would say the biggest focus is firstly the noise reduction, and then secondly the overdrive threshold like how loud can I record something before distortion occurs.
But thanks for all your help so far though, it’s good information.

How dare you get a single number wrong! You’re dead to me. You’re so dead to me that the director of Walking Dead called to ask if they could cast you as a zombie extra…:slight_smile:

I was indeed a hobbyist before I had my graduation as a sound engineer 20 years ago. Since then I’ve used a lot of different equipment.
But for many years I only keep what I am absolutely convinced of. Not only in terms of sound quality, but also in handling and reliability. I must therefore not legitimize my choice, on the opposite. I can make a recommendation due to longer experience of use. But I agree that Sound Devices + Schoeps is great. If one can afford it.

And if one can afford to have an additional, high quality all-in-one field recorder. I guess I don’t need to mention, that there are also situations where it is difficult to walk around with a boom and cable.
Anyway, I assumed that an all-in-one quality recorder was searched for.
That’s it. But no offence. Peace and cheers.

You know what I’ve noticed is better sound equipment has a higher resistance (ohms) due to the presence of more circuitry correcting the signal to produce an accurate sound. Does anyone have high resistance recorders?