Warning of "base64_encode() is not allowed" from Theme-Check plugin

Hi everyone,

When I used Theme-Check plugin to check my theme, it gave me many warnings of base64_encode() like following:

WARNING: Found base64_encode in the file [file name]. base64_encode() 
is not allowed.

And almost file names listed there are from OptionTree plugin that I used for creating the theme options and meta boxes. I also used base64_encode() for my purpose at some parts.

So, I’m not sure what to do to resolve these warnings about base64_encode(). Could you give me any advice?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Disregard this “warning” notice. This notice is not important for theme and wordpress operation. :slight_smile:

Thank you @Codestar. Then I’m going to upload it now.

BTW, please pray for me! :smiley:

Just out of curiosity, did your theme get approved with these warnings? I’m getting ready to submit a theme with these warnings and I would like to know if the reviewer is going to care about it. Thanks!

Do you even understand your own license which you provide with the theme files? It says you can not encrypt your WordPress code because it is Open source.
Encrypting the code is against WordPress license.

UXbarn said

Hi everyone,

When I used Theme-Check plugin to check my theme, it gave me many warnings of base64_encode() like following:

is not allowed.

And almost file names listed there are from OptionTree plugin that I used for creating the theme options and meta boxes. I also used base64_encode() for my purpose at some parts.

So, I’m not sure what to do to resolve these warnings about base64_encode(). Could you give me any advice?

crossroad said

Do you even understand your own license which you provide with the theme files? It says you can not encrypt your WordPress code because it is Open source.

UXbarn said

Hi everyone,

is not allowed.

I can’t speak for the OP, but I’m not encrypting any of the theme code - this is just used for a small part of the framework. It doesn’t hide or obscure any of the theme code or anything like that :slight_smile:

IndustrialThemes said

Just out of curiosity, did your theme get approved with these warnings? I’m getting ready to submit a theme with these warnings and I would like to know if the reviewer is going to care about it. Thanks!

There shouldn’t be any problem with that. My theme uses OT, got all those warnings, but is still up for sale. Focus on all the other errors :slight_smile:

Appreciate the reply!

@IndustrialThemes
Sorry, I just replied to UXbarn’s post and now I realized that it was an old post :slight_smile:

crossroad said

@IndustrialThemes
Sorry, I just replied to UXbarn’s post and now I realized that it was an old post :slight_smile:

No worries! I figured as much :slight_smile:

crossroad said

Whoa, take it easy man… I didn’t encrypt any of my WP codes or files. Theme package already includes every source code and it doesn’t violate the general WP license. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

@IndustrialThemes - That won’t be a problem. :slight_smile:

UXbarn said
crossroad said

Whoa, take it easy man… I didn’t encrypt any of my WP codes or files. Theme package already includes every source code and it doesn’t violate the general WP license. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to respond!

UXbarn, Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound rude. I just said in general.

UXbarn said
crossroad said

crossroad said

UXbarn, Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound rude. I just said in general.

UXbarn said
crossroad said

p.s using base64 to encode parts of code isnt against WordPress’s license which is <a href=http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html">GPL, Open Source is a philosophy not a license

the theme check plugin marks it for the WordPress.org site because generally base64 is used in malicious ways like embedding links in the footers etc…

crossroad said

UXbarn said

Hi everyone,

is not allowed.

Many thanks!