VST Instruments

Hello guys.
What VST should I use for different instruments?(piano, strings, trumpet etc).
Is there a good choice other than Kontakt?

Is there a good choice other than Kontakt?

No. :grinning:

1 Like

Ample Sound pick-string woodies and SWAM woodwinds look good.

You can download free samples for basically all of the orchestral instruments from here.

Annotation to using these samples

"Thousands of free, downloadable sound samples specially recorded by Philharmonia Orchestra players. These samples are suitable for creating any kind of music, no matter what style. You can select from the list of instruments to access an extensive archive of samples which are free to use in almost any way you wish."
Full license details: “You are free to use these samples as you wish, including releasing them as part of a commercial work. The only restriction is they must not be sold or made available ‘as is’ (i.e. as samples or as a sampler instrument).”
“This work by Philharmonia Orchestra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.”

There are tons of Vst that are very good, you must start with the basics so you can choose between them. Start with Logic Pro they have the best vst to start and then you can compare and decide which is better for you.

But I am on Windows and use Reaper.

so kontakt is the best answer because they have a lot of good VST instead you can use protools there’s a free version so you can decide witch is better but for me kontakt is the best

Hi, Skyny.)

I think Kontakt would be a better choice for these purposes. You can also try UVI Workstation, because they have one of the best pianos on the market from VILabs, and good strings. But Kontakt more versatile in this case.

Good Luck! ))

Windows/Reaper here as well. Kontakt works great and you’ll need it. You can muck around with free stuff for a couple years like I did or just skip all that and go with Kontakt from the start and save yourself the headache!

I think there is a sale going on for Komplete right now actually.

Hi,
An alternative to Kontakt could be Eastwest “Composer Cloud” (many good quality instruments, even if some of them are a bit old by now). They have an annual plan, but also a monthly one (that you can stop anytime and reactivate when you want).

I heard that the old Play engine was a nightmare, but the new one was very stable when I tried that road last year (I’m also on Windows / Reaper).

That said, a full Kontakt (plus third party libraries of your choice) is hard to beat, in my humble opinion. But there are some other alternatives. It depends what you project to do. Do you want an “all in one” vst or separate instruments?

Thanks guys.
Yeah Kontakt is the best. And what you think about IK Multimedia Sampletank 3?

And what do you think about Reason DAW? I own Reason Essentials 2 and liked it but it has no VST support so I moved to Reaper. Is it worth to upgrade to Reason 10?