Vim?

During the PHP Fundamentals training, the terminal was used. I tried typing into the windows cmd window the commands, but none of it worked. I think I need to install someething (vim?) to be able to use those commands. Could you point me to the right place to find out what is needed for me to use the terminal as is done in that tutorial?

Usually, Terminal using only on Linux or Mac OS.
On Windows, you got Command Line but it’s not useful with PHP.
You can learning PHP without any command, because you will need only: Web Server(XAMP, Vertrigo…) and Web browsers(Chrome, Firefox, IE…) and Notepad.
So, you can using Notepad on Windows instead using Vim.
The best FREE IDE on windows that I like is Notepad++, it’s will be better Notepad on Windows.
Try research more and hope you enjoy!

OK. Thanks for this information. The command-line vim entries were used in the tutorial to access .htaccess functions and to add permissions. There must be a way to do this same thing on a Windows machine. Do you know how?

For example, in the PHP Fundamentals tutorial by Jeffrey Way, there is a section called the Obigatory Blog, it is 5 episodes long. In the last (5th) episode, near the end of the video, it is shown how to use Apache functions and the .htaccess feature, to lock down a directory. A password keyword was used. How would this be done on a Windows machine?

Thank you presstheme and everyone else. Obviously, I’m not well versed. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be taking these tutorials. Thanks again.

By default “.htaccess” is hidden and lock file. Show maybe in video tutorial showed VIM because they need to change this file with “Super user” permission (Command line: su vim .htaccess, and then typing Password to access it).

On Windows,

• You can Stop Apache and edit it. You can not modify it while Apache running.
  • Right click mouse and choose open with Admin permission.
    OR
  • Clone/Copy “.htaccess” file to other name without “.” character, example: “.htaccess” => “htaccess.txt”.
    And then delete “.htacces” file or move it to other folder.
    Now you can easy modify “htaccess.txt” with Notepad. Finally, restore name again “.htaccess”!
    I hope it help you!
1 Like

Thanks. I will try this.