Videohive has stopped (Part 1)

Alex, I fully agree.

1 Like

Great post Wayman! We need some changes! I mentioned in a forum, a long time ago some of problems like you describe in the post but only a few took it serious. The problem is huge now. Let’s make VH great again!

Cheers,
Paulo

1 Like

Also, I think it is another important point - When a buyer downloads an archive with a project, there has to be an official text file (or pdf) of the license agreement. I don’t mind putting this file by myself, just give me an official Envato pdf copy of the license agreement (regular and extended conditions can be inside of one text file). Of course, I can make a pdf document by myself, but it would be better if Envato will provide an official sample.

Also, I think in the header of this license text file have to be something like following words “If a final video received by using this project (or the project itself) you’re going to send to your client, don’t forget to give him this license file, because here were described the necessary conditions that your client will be obliged to observe to use your final video (or the project itself)”. Yes, I know something similar is already exists in the license terms, but it must be in a conspicuous place, because many people just don’t know about it and they are sending a finished video to their clients, and then their clients add this video to ContentID or just begin to consider themselves as rights holders.

4 Likes

BTW today i got a mail from another marketplace where they announce to me their new type of
license especially made for broadcasters and corporations…

Here…still the same.

@MarkBrodhuber I think you would be interested.

Today I created a survey in the social network vk.com. If someone from the team has a page there then I can send the link. The survey was attended by about 100 authors (videohive, audiojungle) and there was the following:

“You are a motion designer and you are making a custom video based on a template from Videohive for your client. In the future, the client has plans to place this video on his YouTube channel (where he has 100 thousand subscribers and his channel has monetization), also he wants to place this video on his open Facebook page and his website so that any person could easily see and watch the video. Tell me, please, what a license should you buy, a regular license, or an extended one?”.

In a result, 46% of them answered incorrectly. They said it needs an Extended license instead of a Regular one. If the authors themselves don’t know how to use the licenses, I can imagine how many buyers make the wrong choice as well.

It may seem that this error in favor of the authors because a buyer can buy an Extended license in the case where he needs buy only a Regular one, but every medal has two sides.

What this survey can tell:

1. There is a serious lack of understanding of how the license should be used.
  2. There must be added more types of licenses because it will help to remove this lack of understanding.

I hope this information was useful for you. I’m sure if you will create your own surveys about this, you will get more accurate data.

3 Likes

Some thoughts regarding licensing for the packs.
I think needed to do a new license for any packages like HUDs, icons, titles etc.
For example, customer buys package with 100 icons, but uses only 30, and with existing licenses he can’t use the rest icons for another project.
So new package license could contains some rules, let’s say buyer can use package for several end products.

1 Like

every item in a pack can be used for one end product, so if he used 30 items, he still can use the other 70 for another project.

The fact that you didn’t know that just proves Waymans point, though :slight_smile:

edit: It looks like the license FAQs have changed recently and the part I was referring to does now state something else. So, I was wrong with my assumption here. Sorry

Maybe I’m wrong. Could you provide link to this rule?
I thought Item is the .aep file

Hello everybody! Bet you haven’t seen this name in a while! :smiley:
Missed you all!

I think Alex nailed it in his post why I personally stopped doing projects for over 3 years now. I did move to VFX Industry but the OG community we had back in the day (7 years ago: @Wayman @felt_tips @elements @steve314 @NickolasM @PauloGalvao @d3luxxxe @Bboykoma @InlifeThrill etc…) was just way more original than the new kids on the block. Everybody was trying to impress each other with something different. Comments were actually genuine! We would talk about our templates.

Today, all I see is people complaining on the forums why their file wasn’t accepted, comments spam fest where hundreds of people with 1 or 2 files comment just so buyers can maybe see their profile picture in the comments and click it. It’s an ad board now.

“The Paralax” effect @felt_tips mentioned. I spent last year in Canada working my ass of and never checked videohive. When I finally came I saw hundreds of Paralax effects that are pretty much the same and prices would go from 15 - 35 for god knows what reason. I tried looking for some amazing files for inspiration but what I ended up doing was remembering all the old school authors and checking out their profile. I’m amazed how much some of you advanced. @Wayman You kept your style man and it’s getting better and better, but unfortunately the amount of copies of your files right now we see here is ridiculous.

I still have no Idea what an “Elite Authors” gets. Can we maybe get a page with Elite Authors only? Honestly if we had that I’d be a daily VH user again, because I like seeing different, quality items from authors who know what they are doing.

P.S.
As everybody else said, I will be forever grateful to Videohive. I finished an amazing college because of it and ended up in the VFX industry, but i’m extremely sad that there is nothing I can do on Videohive right now… Because I truly miss the old community. For the past 3 months I’ve been working a on an interesting Toolkit and I just uploaded it. After 3 long years… (because chances of your new logo intro selling like crazy like before are close to 0% and I simply don’t want to create a Paralax effect to get buried in the sea of Paralax templates).

And one more thing Videohive, Quality over Quantity. As an author that number on the top of the page that says > 400.000 makes me scared. Because If i look down at current 40 newest templates I can barely find a good file…

Woah, it felt great to talk to you all again!!! :smiley:

8 Likes

Really great topic! And I agree with everything that @Wayman said. This market should react on problems and don’t close the eyes.
BUT it’s a stock. A lot of items, cheap price. If we compare motion design industry with restaurant business, Videohive would be like McDonald’s. No one makes high demands on McDonald’s. If you see garbage on a table, if you wait your order too long, or there is no sauce that you ask for. The same thing with Videohive. You create your burger and leave it. That’s how we all should treat to our work that we upload on videohive. But if we treat our items like culinary art… just don’t put it in McDonald’s, it’s wrong place for it. For your arts create you own restaurant. Or do custom made work.
I just want to say, that we should take it easy. Personally, videohive for me is a playground, good place where I can earn money from my experiments. And so happening that income from videohive is 90% of all my earnings. Double benefit! I learn, and I make money. And I think a lot of authors will condemn me if I say “I don’t care what happens with my item after I uploaded it”. But it’s true (in most cases).

3 Likes

Hi, maybe I’m actually wrong here. I was referring to this part of the FAQs, but the wording seemed to have changed: https://videohive.net/licenses/faq#item-packs-a

This is what it says now:

Each item within the “pack/bundle” (multiple existing marketplace items grouped together and sold as a new unique item) essentially gets its own license. Meaning each item can be used on a maximum of one end product.

I remember it without the part in Parenthesis.
To me, a pack of 70 HUD elements was a pack of 70 items and therefor can be used for one end product each. Now, with the new wording, it means “one videohive offer” equals to one item.

So looks like you were right actually, but I don’t think this is in the interest of anyone. Many packs, for example a pack of logo animations, make no sense with this rule.

I think you’re still right… the part in parenthesis just clarifies what a bundle is, it doesn’t detract from the rule that each item within a bundle gets its own license as an individual item. So you can use one bundled item per end product if you want to… or all bundled items in one end product, if that better suits your needs.

yes it doesn’t detract from the rule that you buy a license for each item, but it does define what a “bundle” or “pack” is and that is not what the item packs we are talking about are.
It states that a bundle/pack is a combination of existing marketplace items, but on videohive this is not allowed to do: as an author you cannot upload something in a pack as well as a single item.

On audiojungle, for instance, you can upload single solo sounds and also create a pack out of those.

So right now, the part in the faq I was referring to in my initial post doesn’t apply to videohive packs anymore. It would make sense if they still do, though.

Ah, right. I see what you’re saying! Yeah, does look like that’s the case now I see what you mean. I can understand it to a certain extent, but it’s a bit unfair if you buy a pack of 200 animated icons, use one of them, then you have to buy another license if you also want to use just one more icon in a different video.

I totally agree with you, it should not be like this. Just another reason to ask for changes…

Exactly, this is what I meant.

Wayman, you rightly raised the question! Too many problems…

I use to upload some motion graphics video file on flashden with Marc, Brian, and couple of people more, then Marc told us that a Brand new site would be created for motion graphics and AE template and VH started.
At this time they create a great site, and they put fully energy in order to grow up the site, Marc, was very active, and the community has been Wonderfull for so many years.
Then we had the guys from the site Rendered merged into VH, and number of authors grow up but has been still manageable.
In the same time Envato create more sites, and this put some of the head managers to an higher level with more thing to think about, more site to manage, check, moderate…In the last years, number of author and file has been really high.We had a difference from the past were there was one author behind a file, now you have people with 3/4 artists producing big templates and milions of cheap similar files.
Envato still creating new sites, and it s look like they like to create new sites bring them to work , and in some way forget about it.
I may be wrong cause I m not so active on the site and the forum (witch I don’t like)
It s normal and good that there is more stuff on the site, but I feel a little of abandonment in updating the site features.
Plenty things have changed , other no.
Has always peace and love

1 Like

Thanx Wayman!
Every word of your communique is absolutly right! I don’t see a point to make cool and original templates. Why? Your 2 weeks creation will be forgotten after one day under amazing quantity same templates. And licenses grading, and terms…
It so sad but you are right.

absolutely agree Wayman , @MarkBrodhuber please add “Requests” feature for clients, with this, clients can tell us what type of template they wants.