Urban Builder theme - have to buy pre-packed plugin

Hi, can somebody explain me why I have to buy Visual Composer if it has been pre-packed in the Urban Builder Theme? After last WP update editing of posts and different other items doesnt work - I suppose it is due of the need to update the plugin VC. As I tried to update this plugin I have been informed I have to buy it.

Hi,

Your question is answered here: https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/213762463-Bundled-Plugins

In short, you do not need to purchase the plugin, author will update it with a theme update.

Thanks!

1 Like

The theme is not more available. How to proceed in such case?

When did you buy it?

Is it definitely gone or could the author have just temporarily taken it down?

It’s gone, looks like it’s been moved to other markets…

I will go on my rant again, this is why I hate bundled premium plugins, customers want updates, authors take their time releasing the plugin updates and the customer doesn’t get much support as they aren’t a customer of the plugin author… you should recommend plugins which work with your theme but not bundle them, will cost buyers more as they will have to buy plugins separately but they get support, get updates.

@charlie4282: it has been removed. But I see, I can buy the theme by other market.
We use the theme since 1,5 year.

Does it mean the author wont support the theme anymore for the customers who bought it via envato and will support only new customers who bought it via other market?

In such case, this is anything but not fair. I think envato should protect the customer, or not?

Or is this a normal case and I have to find another person who will support my theme?

You are not guaranteed support (especially for an 18 month old theme) as Envato do not own the items so it’s upto the creator to offer support on their own terms. As the item has been removed from Envato, you would need to contact the author directly and ask if they are still supporting their purchases through Envato (some authors who move their items do still support their themes).

That’s the risk you take with Themeforest unfortunately, I have bought in excess of 500 items through various accounts and can probably say 20-30 have been removed which is around 5% of the total items so it’s a rare occurence, it’s frustrating but that’s the risk you take buying from an “aggregate supplier” like Envato.

My first port of call would be to try and email / contact the author, ask them what their support procedure is like for the Themeforest purchases, They may well support you and help you get updates or they may just wash their hands of you.

If they won’t support you then you have 3 options:

1. Buy the theme again from the new supplier BUT you may have this same issue in the future
  2. Find someone to work with you on fixing bugs you may be having especially when you update WordPress
  3. Find another theme / have one built for you which follows the same design as you have.Copying the design and making it into a custom theme for your needs would be pretty straight forward but won’t be cheap.
1 Like

That’s outside the support period unfortunately that comes with new items.

I get (have bought more than many) that it’s frustrating when this happens but authors have the right to remove items as/when they choose as envato do not own the copyright.

It’s this business model which allows envato to give so much quality and quantity compared to the competition.

It’s in the terms we all agree to when buying /selling here, and while you could buy the plugin separately and see if that resolves the issue BUT there’s no guarantee that the theme will support the latest version of the plugin so it would be a risk.

@charlie4282, @Gareth_Gillman Thanks, I appreciate your promptness.

To be honest, I am the end user of the theme (somebody created the WP site with this theme for me) and now I understand how “cheap” some “web developers” try to get their projects. I haven’t been informed about all the risks by not paying support. I have studied the Item Support Policy and I am ok with it. I think it is definitely worth paying the extended support… So for me the easiest way is to rebuy the theme by other market and pay for support.

But despite all you have written, i think, Envato should think about a rule which could help the customer clear such confusion. I think its definitely not okay to let themerex delete a theme without saying to 186 customers what they have to do.

The problem is Envato doesn’t own any copyright to the item so they can’t do anything about the author deleting the item, they could in theory tell them to give Envato 30 days notice to delete an item but the item will still be gone. Would be a massive change to the rules so don’t think it would go down too well unfortunately but there needs to be more communication from Envato on stuff like this so customers have the facts (when an item is permanently deleted)

Just for reference you don’t need extended support for a lifetime of updates (assuming a file is not removed) that’s something you get by default

@charlie4282 So it means Envato could change the game rules to stop such unfair practice like this for future. It is easy than, I will sell my items via 2 markets and every 2 years I will change the market on which I am selling particular item. This will bring me multiple sales of particular item to the same customer as they need the updates in future. Is this correct way of thinking? It is a very good business plan but not a fair one…

They couldn’t without completely changing their model which would be very detrimental.

The 6 months support and free lifetime updates while the file is live that’s included is a big improvement and more than people get elsewhere.

Technically you could take a file off here and sell it elsewhere but I think you’d find the reaction would be more detrimental than it may seem from buyers. Plus no other marketplace has the reach or scope of envato and buyers may not even known to look elsewhere so moving may not actually be a good decision.

It’s not ideal but all buyers agree to the way it works when they buy the item. Maybe some other marketplaces have alternative systems when they own the files for sale but in return for that then buyers do not get anywhere near the quality or quantity of files to choose from.

Sorry, I am not good enough in English. So maybe I dont understand your comment fully.

Technically you could take a file off here and sell it elsewhere but I think you’d find the reaction would be more detrimental than it may seem from buyers. Plus no other marketplace has the reach or scope of envato and buyers may not even known to look elsewhere so moving may not actually be a good decision.

You mean, if they (themerex) would make it (change the marketplace where they sell a theme), they would risk the bad reaction from customers? But they (themerex) really do: https://creativemarket.com/ThemeREX/927546-Urban-Builder-Construction-Theme

Why should I buy a theme not directly from an author, if I have no security the theme will be updated, if the author will change the marketplace? Why should I buy by envato, if envato doesnt protect me as a customer and let the author of a theme to change lifetime condition to 1-2 years condition? (After this, if they change marketplace, I have to rebuy the theme).

I tell you this is very bad case authority which should be stopped… otherwise customer may loose their confidence in the marketplace as it is not able to protect their interest.

Just to be clear - I do understand your points.

That said - it is no different anywhere else. If as site owns the file (like other marketplaces) or if they simply host other peoples’ work (like envato), if a file is then removed, the availability to download the file and any future compatibility updates are no longer accessible. My point is that it is the same on just about all marketplaces like this.

What guarantee do you get buying the theme directly from the author? What if they just decide to stop supporting or updating a file? Ignore your emails?

I may be misunderstanding you but I don’t get how this would be any different?

It’s worth noting that the author didn’t just move to the other marketplace - they have been selling the item there since 2015. Also they are an exclusive author so they can’t be selling it in the two places at the same time.

People buying $50 themes (worth thousands) rather than paying an agency etc. must accept that the level of service and guarantees cannot be the same. Especially as having 6 months support and lifetime updates while the file is live for FREE is not a bad deal at all.

Again I do understand where you are coming from but It’s always been this way and I highly doubt it would change because either route of owning the themes or enforcing authors to support items forever would destroy the marketplace and drive both authors and buyers away.

It’s worth noting that the author didn’t just move to the other marketplace - they have been selling the item there since 2015. Also they are an exclusive author so they can’t be selling it in the two places at the same time.

What does it mean he is an exclusive author in this situation? Is he not allowed to sell the same theme on more than one market? What is the advantage of this?

I see on Creative Market a Date: 27 Sep, 2016. I can only suppose this is the date, when ThemeRex started to sell this theme over there. So it means they stopped selling it by envato at the same date (if they are exclusive). Am I correct?