Updated WordPress Requirements

themeforest
codecanyon
elements
envato-hosted

I agree. But if they also include the design check first, there will be “two flies with one shot” :slight_smile:

Unfortunately design rules few years ago and now are very different. Previously they accepted only very modern and stunning designs (and usually you have hard reject for design before). Now all rejects related to code, and very basic and copy/paste designs are accepted, that leads to very low quality themes (that was made in 1 week), that released 10 times per day for WordPress and break visibility for high quality themes where we spent year for development.

Hi envato, Please make a global purchase code verification script so everyone can integrate it easily.

why ?

Went through the new requirements and my two suggestions:

1. Move meta box warning from REQUIRED to INFO, as even the message states that using them for designs is a valid use case. Many themes use metaboxes to allow styling of individual pages and moving functionality meta boxes out of themes was already a requirement long ago.

2. Why forcing visual elements such as Logo, Custom Header and Custom Background move to customizer? While it is great to have a consistent experience across all WP themes, many & many themes use their own options framework that customers are happy with, so why move (or duplicate) few visual options to customizer while leaving out others. If other theme options framework is used, let authors use it for all their options, instead of making it even more inconsistent.

Hope these points can be considered :slight_smile:

Feedback for the Envato Theme Check:

1. REQUIRED: The theme uses the register_post_type() function, which is plugin-territory functionality.
  • The Check do not show the source of this error.
  • It would be very helpful for theme authors if they knew the source of the register_post_type().
  • In this case it comes from my nested third party plugin.
  1. WARNING: The theme uses the add_shortcode() function. Custom post-content shortcodes are plugin-territory functionality.
  • It would be very helpful for theme authors if they knew the source of the add_shortcode().
  • In this case it comes from my nested third party plugin.
  1. WARNING: The theme is using #wpadminbar. Hiding the admin bar is not allowed.
  • Yes I’m using #wpadminbar in my style.css file to show my sticky menu 32px from the top if the admin bar is displayed.
  • I do not hide this admin bar!
  • Your WARNING is wrong!
  1. WARNING: Found echo $ in the file …/widgets/social.php. Possible data validation issues found. All dynamic data must be correctly escaped for the context where it is rendered.
  • It make sense to escape this wordpress widget variables? I can’t escape this, because this variables have html values like <h3> for the widget title.

• Please exclude this WARNINGS for WordPress widget variables.

Line 27: echo $before_widget;
    Line 30: echo $before_title . $title . $after_title;
    Line 57: echo $after_widget;

register_sidebar( array(
        'name' => __( 'Main Sidebar', 'twentyeleven' ),
        'id' => 'sidebar-1',
        'before_widget' => '<aside id="%1$s" class="widget %2$s">',
        'after_widget' => "</aside>",
        'before_title' => '<h3 class="widget-title">',
        'after_title' => '</h3>',
    ) );

1. I have so many WARNING/REQUIRED notices about my nested ACF Pro plugin.
  • It’s not a theme thing, it comes from this third party plugin.
  • IMPORTANT: Please add the ACF Pro plugin to your exclude list like the TGMPA plugin.
  1. WARNING: Found a translation function that is missing a text-domain.
  • It would be very helpful for theme authors if they knew the source of the missing textdomain.

I cannot agree with this. I don’t think it’s rightful to sell themes that support WooCommerce only to version 2.6 and say that they should continue selling and “meet the requirements”. This isn’t “latest plugins”. Also I cannot agree that a theme that was last updated in 2016 works with latest WordPress version and plugins. You have 12 months to think what you want to do with those themes, but I will be more than happy if such “outdated” themes will no longer be available in the market.
If you cannot handle that many themes and meet the new requirements, cut some of their numbers. If you “don’t have the money to release updates” then clearly those themes are of no help to you. You can inform your existing customers that you will stop the support of those item - existing customers might have a support for one more year. This is also the period that Envato gives us.

Thanks this is a good idea! We keep this themes to provide support and plugins updates for our existing customers, and do not make them angry (because we have a LOT of very old customers, who still prolong support - they expect plugins updates and small fixes, that we still provide - 90% of them does not need WC 3.x support - they have custom build websites, that they can’t update to WC 3.x.). We does not have new sales from this themes and unfortunately can’t cover further complex re-development (like WC 3.x support) for this themes (we release plugins updates, and security related bug fixes).

My theme is 2 years old and already follows these requirements :slight_smile:

I am working on new theme currently which already introduce importer and plugin downloader using Envato API I just want let Envato knows I am happy to share these code with you so it become handy for theme developers to adapt these new requirements http://take.ms/kvQPy

Also to let you know there is themes currently which are hosted by you are using these code which I can prove on private.

Talking about consistency and user’s expectations (same tools on different themes) there should be a global tool from Envato for Purchase Code verification (quoting @bdthemes).

Unfortunately lot of customers with one purchase code should activate multiple installations, if Envato Token will be deprecated. Only a purchase code verification doesn’t prevent multiple installations.

You should implement a tool on Envato site (account page) where every user can associate 1 purchase to 1 domain. This is the same method implemented by lot of popular plugin out there (obviously it’s something that every author can develop on his own but there will be hundreds of different procedures).

Any theme should have the same registration screen connected to Envato for the purchase code and domain verification.

Wrapping: the purchase code should be first associated to a single domain on Envato site then verified inside the theme.

You can save your customers domain on your server with their purchase code for further check.

Are we allowed to check if a purchase code is already in use on another domain before to store (and unlock) it? The main reason of a purchase verification is prevent multiple installations with the same license.

Can I have an official answer from Envato about this?

I think this is allowed only if you give the user clear message that his domain and purchase code will be stored… I hope to hear from Envato about this too.

Of course, there is a checkbox with a clear message.

As told above we can do this (and we just do this) but there should be a master tool from Envato to manage purchase code and activation domain on the Envato user account page, not revert this back to any authors. It seems obviously and more compliant with Envato copyright policy.

What form do we use to declare compliance and trigger a re-review of a subset of our portfolio?

ok this is great, all our items meet all these conditions. How do we ensure that we’re on the list so that we do get the benefit that is mentioned in the search.

Thank you very much

Great Change! Best of Luck to all Authors :slight_smile: would be great if envato provide a global purchase code verification script for all authors.

There should be a library/code for Purchase verifying, if you want “consistent experience for customers”