Upcoming changes to our Performing Rights Organization (P.R.O.) policy on AudioJungle

If you choose ‘‘No P.R.O’’ your portfolio not deleted but I wonder what’s the disadvantage of choosing No P.R.O?

Thank you Hyperprod!

Thank you. Do you mean reducing the level of sales? Or something else?

OK, someone help me understand the following scenario:

Let’s say an author is a member of a PRO. In the last 5 years they uploaded 100 tracks to AJ which they never registered with their PRO, to conform with the royalty-free spirit of the marketplace.

After providing the PRO affiliation in the settings, they have all of their tracks (wrongly) marked as „PRO-tracks“, basically forcing the author into registering the tracks with their PRO.

Question: Wouldn’t that create potential conflicts with customers who already bought the tracks under the „royalty-free“ premise and might well find out that in certain scenarios royalties need to be paid indeed?

Thousands of PRO composers, musicians and producers from other libraries uploading their music to AudioJungle in 3, 2, 1…

It still is royalty free music per definition. broadcasters have paid the broadcast royalties all along. The difference is that the money is now going to be passed on to the authors.

1 Like

This is great news! Audio Jungle has been making all of the right moves lately. Now you just need ID verification and you guys will be tied for my favorite RF site on the net!

True. I think this is why they are making the change. They realize that they’ve been screwing the authors all along.

but maybe I can sellect NOT pro afiliated because I dont register audiojungle item there but other type of music and songs, or this is wrong ?

I don’t get this, how is this music still royalty free music when broadcaster pay royalty now for it ? could please explain a lil bit more, thank you

“Royalty-free” was never intended to mean “free from PERFORMANCE (PRO/broadcast) royalties”. It was meant to mean “free from NEEDLE-DROP royalties” which was standard in the old days but very impractical in the internet age.

There is another term: “Performance Royalty-Free” which means no PRO affiliation.

5 Likes

It’s just the way it is.

For example I’m exclusive author and I’m earning 10.64 $ for 19$. If I choose No P.R.O is this change I mean?
Best Regards.

As I wrote above, “royalty-free” means free from needle-drop royalties, NOT free from performance/broadcast/aka PRO royalties.

No change in percentage.

It doesn’t change anything right away but if your track gets used in a commercial that is aired a lot it could mean thousands of extra $$$ for that single sale over a couple of years.

Think about it. Is it fair if a track gets used for a blockbuster motion picture (and the producers buy YOUR track that enhances that film) and you make nothing from that in the back-end? They will be rolling in the dough for years to come from royalties. And since your track enhanced the production, it only helped them get more royalties. Meanwhile you just sit there thinking what might have been.

Thanks Bro

@Hyperprod @flumen

Thanks guys, but bear with me for a sec:

For example, let’s take a German company, say Audi, which made an image movie for themselves, including an AJ track, and they use on their website (or a trade fair) - if the track is registered with a PRO, say GEMA, they (—> the company) will have to pay royalties for that. If it isn’t, they won’t, and if the GEMA comes asking they ususally will show the GEMA a declaration that the track not registered with a PRO, signed by the original author.

So, if Audi bought the track as royalty-free and are forced to pay GEMA royalties on it five years later because the track has been registered in the meantime there is a conflict.

That’s what I am asking about. Unless I am missing something,

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

If you are uneducated about PROs now is the time to start reading and researching. There is so much unclaimed money out there …you have no idea.

A while back I had to remove a song that a company wanted to license but also required to fill a cue sheet. After some negotiating I removed the song from AJ and it was used for a TV campaign in Europe that lasted a few months. Just for information purposes so that you understand, the use ended up bringing in PRO money that was more than I make in two months on AudioJungle, TOTAL!

Now not every use is like this understand of course, but there are a lot of cases just like this happening. Where our music is being broadcast all over the place by substantial companies who are completely clear on filling out CS and the money is just sitting there because it has been unclaimed.

Just like with AdRev, the key here is education and our willingness and ability to help buyers make the transition. For the VAST majority of buyers this will not affect them in any way whatsoever.

This is probably the most significant advance in the marketplace since I’ve been here in my opinion. Thank you to Eric, and the authors and those behind the scenes who have been working extremely hard to make this happen. For me, this will literally change my life, in a good way.

Thank you AudioJungle for doing the right thing and implementing this. There are some things to work out still, but there always are with policy change. My request right now is simply for a field for Publisher info where publisher and writer are not the same and crucial identifiers for writers (IPI etc).

16 Likes