Upcoming changes to our Performing Rights Organization (P.R.O.) policy on AudioJungle

That’s the same question that i have, I’m from Indonesia and there is not country that i choose…

Hey @Anjey @Najibhusein, we’ll look to get those added to the list. In the meantime you may simply select “I have a P.R.O. affiliation” and choose “Other” from the dropdown list.

Bumping up my old post, I really feel these question should be answered!

I have two questions that still remain unclear to me.

If I go and register all my Audiojungle tracks with my PRO, what happens
to those customers that bought the license before the tracks were PRO registered?
There’s a potential conflict here. Could this lead to problems?

Another question. Will it be mandatory for Audiojungle customers to submit cue sheets
or is it going to be voluntary? Just curious because I know few library sites that allow
PRO registered tracks but it’s up to customers if they want to submit cue sheets.

1 Like

@nahkaorava If I go and register all my Audiojungle tracks with my PRO, what happens
to those customers that bought the license before the tracks were PRO registered?
Nothing would happen to the customer, they bought a royalty free license under the terms of the agreement.

There’s a potential conflict here. Could this lead to problems? Explain to us what the problems could possibly be? A contract is a contract and license terms are license terms.

Another question. Will it be mandatory for Audiojungle customers to submit cue sheets
or is it going to be voluntary? Just curious because I know few library sites that allow
PRO registered tracks but it’s up to customers if they want to submit cue sheets.

Just so everyone knows, it is up to all of us to beat that cue sheet drum non-stop. The education of what cue sheets are, what pros do with them, and how it results in back end PRO royalties has to be a non-stop effort. Don’t expect audio Jungle staff to come to the rescue on this issue. What we need are educated buyers who know what a cue sheet is and how to file them. Not every project results in a “cue sheet”. The majority of what we do here is offer music for a web video and those do not require cue sheets. TV networks and Production companies that produce the TV shows do file cue sheets. So yes. It’s up to all of us collectively to encourage constantly, please credit us on cue sheets (if the track is going on a tv show “for broadcast”) and file them at PROS. Yes it will be very helpful if AJ publishes an article and e-mails every videohive author/ buyer to inform them what a cue sheet is. Part of the problem is that no one knows what they are because no one sees them. Only ASCAP writers and publishers get to see them because ASCAP is the only PRO that displays them in writers accounts. I see them all the time, I see writers from PRS, SOCAN, GEMA, APRA, etc…The libraries that work at exclusively feeding cues to TV shows and networks typically mandate in their contracts that the customer files them in order to have access to the library. The deal goes like this - you can use the music in our library, but you must file a cue shet in exchange for that access -

It is not my impression that we have many TV clients here (at least in the USA). I am not sure about the European customers, or Asian customers… but I do think European writers can speak to this point more clearly.

For a while, it seems like some production Companies and TV networks in Germany were shopping here to obtain cost savings and perhaps avoid the hassle of filing cue sheets…maybe they still do?..Everyone watch this video again and again…, and encourage all customers to watch it. Everyone in video hive needs to watch it…AJ should just send everyone cue sheets and say “please be cool and fill these out if you are putting a track on air in TV network broadcast”. Actually we should include a PDF notice in our download file and a blank Cue sheet to every sale that is made here. Then everyone will know what cue sheets are. We should just say “here is a blank cue sheet and writer/ publisher information for this cue if you intend on broadcasting it, kindly fill it out and e-mail it to cuesheets@bmi.com (for example) and copy me so I have a record of it …If you do not intend on broadcasting my music on air, disregard this notice.”

And remember cue sheets typically are not filled out for TV or radio spots, rather an advertising and promo claim form is filled out. That is OUR responsibility to fill out, not the customer. That’s how it works at BMI, SESAC, and ASCAP…Not sure about Europe…SOCAN does not pay royalties for spots.

http://www.ascap.com/video/watch?video=9B2C6173-B1EB-4CBE-8DB8-EB88D208196B

3 Likes

One other point, the reason why PRO’s want cue sheets from Production Companies and TV Networks and not writers or publishers is to avoid fraud. When the cue sheet comes from the production company, they are a third party and can be more objective when filling them out, they know which cues they used and by which writers. Cue sheets typically are not filled in for corporate explainer videos that get uploaded to YOUTUBE, but hey…why not? maybe they should…Even if we all start earning $2 more dollars for those productions…well there is nothing wrong with that. Lots of “littles” ultimately add up to a lot for music writers. Google/ YOUTUBE, in my opinion is now officially a broadcaster. Our PRO’s need to shake them down for money and actually Europe is taking the lead on that protest. Read here:

2 Likes

Thanks for all this great and detailed info, @SteelSound .
Let’s give it a try…!

I have filled out my PRO selection in the settings on my page, however, I continually receive emails stating that I have not. I would prefer my portfolio to not be disabled because I did what was asked of me. Furthermore, the link in the email takes me to a Audio Jungle 404 page. Who would I need to speak with to verify my selection is seen and ok?

Hi @Ryokosan

I’ve double checked and your “Ryokosan” account does have the P.R.O. setting filled out correctly, as you say.

However checking against your email address on file you also have another active AudioJungle account that has 2 items in its portfolio, where the P.R.O. setting has not yet been filled out. So this is why you have received the reminder email.

Let me take this moment to emphasize for everyone that you must fill this setting out for any/all AudioJungle accounts you may have individually, and for any account with active AudioJungle items in any category. This includes sound effects authors as well.

Again if you do not have a P.R.O. or don’t know what a P.R.O. is, you can simply select “No P.R.O. Affiliation” and save your setting.

Great answer, lots of info here! Cheers!

Yes you do

1 Like

Wow. I didn’t realize I had two accounts. Thank you for your quick response and help!

Add the ipi!!! It’s the international composer code… If it’s filled in on a broadcaster call sheet, chances are much greater we get some money here in Europe!!!

2 Likes

Ipi and the Composers real name (not account name)!

I’d also love to have an answer for this question. Once we set our accounts to PRO affiliated, should/can we be registering all our existing, previously non-PRO-registered tracks? And if so, won’t that pose a problem for everybody that used them previously in a published work?

Or should we only register new tracks that we release after marking the account as PRO affiliated?

What problem?
The only problem is that the composer might not get paid automatically. Why? Cause call sheets have been left empty in the past…

Some pro organizations like Buma Stemra in Holland (Europe) use fingerprinting technology. They scan all tv and radio broadcasting of the whole year for your tracks and pay you automatically. Even if call sheets were left empty!

So: free money…

Again: our clients/agencys/program-producers will never have to pay. The royalties have already been paid by the broadcaster to the pro organizations (a huge fixed sum of money every year). Only: that money is not going to us now… Clear? :slight_smile:

What if a customer is the same person/company as broadcaster?

Still no difference… Broadcasters (TV and Radio-stations) pay a fixed amount to the P.R.O. organisations every year for use of music in general… So if somebody who works for a broadcaster buys something on AJ, they pay only the 19 dollar…

(the only difference REALLY, what it comes down to is this: the buyer has to take 30 seconds to fill in composer name and used title on a call sheet… THAT IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between PRO and Royalty free use… They can still not fill it in, then the broadcaster (TV station) still pays the same amount to the PRO organisation, only difference is the composer might not get the money (unless the pro organisation uses fingerprinting technology…)

Right? :smiley:

Apparently if you go sign up at your local PRO and register your music, they will match that music with all past usage of those tracks on tv and other media and sort of pay you the royalties that already waits for you for those tracks. I heard my music on US networks couple of years back, wonder if they pick it up. Im going to sign up on Monday folks, you better do it too I guess. Peace

1 Like

I haven’t signed up yet to a PRO company. what happens if a tv company buys your tracks? do they pay film and broadcast licence because it is going to be seen by many people or do they just pay $19?

I think this is a must read for everyone.

As is this:

PRO’s are not exactly an easy issue to navigate and ultimately what we need is a voluntary author/ consultant for each PRO so folks can get the advice they need to try and collect performance royalties when the music is broadcast on TV (or I suppose even radio).

For example, I have a track on this documentary produced in Austria, I have e-mailed the publisher dozens of times, my own pro, even went as far as telling the Austrian production company to remove my track (they have not and have always been apologetic etc…) these episodes have aired hundreds if not thousands of times in the German speaking countries on SKY, and others. 4 years later…Where are my royalties?.. The production company in Austria said Cue Sheets were filed at GEMA. Do any of you German writers have any advice to give me?

For the record, the music was NOT sourced by audio jungle. It was sourced through a UK publisher whom I thought knew what he was doing, but clearly not. Who knows, maybe GEMA holds the royalties for 4 years then pay…I simply do not know… AND…I can even see the cue sheet at my USA PRO and still am wondering why I am not getting paid!

2 Likes