Unison Plugin?

Most people will have come across a “unison” effect in different synthesizers. But, is there an isolated plugin for that effect?

Yes - nearly, but there are different ways to generate or simulate that kind of effect. You can try a chorus, very short delays, a pitch shifter that detunes the signal just about one or two cents, a plugin that does automatic double tracking (ADT) or a combination of it all.

A good free ADT-Plugin is ADT from vacuumsound: http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html

If you want to get closer to the density of the unison-mode try Übermod from ValhallaDSP: http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallaubermod

Übermod has some presets that emulate the ensemble-effect of some classic synthesizers and string machines. This might come very close to what you are looking for. To emulate a synth with 8 voices in unisone mode you need a modulation effect with 8 different delay lines or taps. Übermod has up to 32 taps to build complex chorus-, flanger- and ensemble-effects.

What no effect can emulate is the unison of 2,4,8 or more real analogue oscillators. If you want that sound for an analogue source like vocal or guitar, you have to record it 2,4,8 or more times. With an effect that is fed with a single source you’ll always get phasing issues - you’ll get the width and detuning effect, but not the extra punch of the unison-mode.

Eventide offers a free channel plugin which has a signal processing stage called micro shift with a widening parameter. I haven’t tried my self but sounds promising.

Also there is a dedicated micro shift plug in from soundtoys you might check this out.

Thank you for ADT, I’m looking for that.

lemega said

Yes - nearly, but there are different ways to generate or simulate that kind of effect. You can try a chorus, very short delays, a pitch shifter that detunes

Well the problem is none of that completely does what unison does. A good unison sound is unique to any other individual effect already mentioned.

SiliconWorldAD said
lemega said

Yes - nearly, but there are different ways to generate or simulate that kind of effect. You can try a chorus, very short delays, a pitch shifter that detunes

Well the problem is none of that completely does what unison does. A good unison sound is unique to any other individual effect already mentioned.

Have you tried the Übermod-Demo?

Is it a plugin that isn’t its own synthesizer that I can easily apply a unison effect to a specific channel with?

It’s an effect plugin. No synth.