Uniqueness or the number?

I have recently started on audiojungle, and now realized that you can work in two ways: 1. To write a lot of tracks (in this case, the quality suffers) 2. Write unique tracks with interesting sounds and unusual arrangements, but oriented for advertising. What do you think is the faster path can result in high sales?

I’m no audio expert, but I’d always advise to aim for quality. The way I see it, if a track is half as good as another track, then that doesn’t mean it will get half as many sales… so you can just make twice as many tracks to make up for it. It’s more likely that you won’t get any sales instead, as more often than not, when the price is the same… people will always go for the higher quality option.

Obviously that’s not exactly a science, audio beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and variety is the spice of life etc etc… but I think you’re always going to be better spending X days on one track, rather than the same amount of time on two.

1 Like

Both. Really…

3 Likes

Well yeah, good point! Don’t spend a year on one track… it might get hard rejected!

It’s good to train both, quality and quantity at the same time, it’s very possible, but if we take the word “unique” more seriously then you can make quite a lot with few tracks, but that does not matter over here, many other things are in play as we all know.

nice to write interesting music, but most often something unique is difficult to sell, me as a writer it is very difficult to write something that I was not interested, and as a consequence on such tracks low sales… it’s hard to imagine how you can make unique music in a large number, obviously you just need to come up with your style :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I first learned about envato, I was told that the portal that welcomes the quality and uniqueness of the tracks that audiojungle second or third trendsetter in the world of advertising music, but practice shows that the buyer is not very appreciate the uniqueness of the tracks, rather he needs something ordinary but quality, and it’s a little frustrating:)

In many cases even quality no matters.
What i can suggest and wish the most is LUCK!
So good luck!

1 Like

Uniqueness? No. Look at the best selling music on the radio. Look at popular YouTube channels. Look at what television shows are successful. Especially look at Hollywood and the film industry and how many profitable movies are just reboots and rehashes of something that came before. Uniqueness? Not in the this world anymore, not if your goal is financial success. Familiarity should be your goal, followed by branding, and then, maybe quality. Very far down the line you might consider uniqueness. Uniqueness just confuses (and perhaps) even scares people these days…:confused:

3 Likes

Interesting perspective and quite accurate if not a tad cynical. But, I agree.

I understand that any unique products attract less interest from the buyer, than something normal. But the main plus of uniqueness - the absence of competitors, and it can cause high sales. Isn’t it? In any market there are many examples, such as Apple in mobile and computers or SOAD in music

Sure, uniqueness is great if you have the capital needed to promote your product in a saturated market, or if you are in an emerging market that isn’t already saturated.

The main problem with a market like Envato is that, depending on the level of uniqueness we are talking about, it can be near impossible to even get a track approved for sale and placed on the market in the first place. Thus a market like Envato values uniqueness less than an unrestricted or freer market might. Commercial viability is valued over originality. Perhaps they take it a bit too far, because you get both buyers and authors complaining from time to time about the homogeneous, stagnant nature of the market, but that’s how they have chosen to cultivate their market. And in the end, they aren’t really wrong.

In the greater sense, innovation drives growth in any market, but in recent years cultural and artistic markets (like music and film) have seen an increased thrust towards self-management. The term composer is slowly being replaced by the term producer, and even terms like ghost producer, as music becomes more and more heavily commodified. The explanation is simple: for various reasons, the revenues of the recording industry are collapsing/shrinking and thus their willingness to produce risky (or unique) products is dissipating. The film industry is following a similar trajectory, wherein they are becoming more risk averse, and thus banking more and more heavily on familiar names and brands. The internet seems like a good candidate or tool to reverse this trend and allow people to produce unique and successful music, but unfortunately, consolidation and the growth of businesses on the internet tend to happen at an accelerated pace, and the average person seems unwilling, unable, or else without the means to self-promote something they truly believe in, but it can be done.

But if you want to make unique music, I think you should make unique music. However, I think if you do this for long enough on this particular market, you will find one of two things happen; either you will consciously or subconsciously start making your music sound more commercial and like everything else, or you will have less and less of a desire to submit music here, because of poor sales. For what it’s worth, that’s been my experience, Yours may be entirely different.

If the goal is to achieve high sales, I think you should neither focus on quantity or uniqueness, but rather, consistency, and put some time into marketing and promotion outside of this site, and SEO within this site. The only way to be successful in business is to spend a lot of time on marketing, and Envato won’t do it for you. At best, they might feature your track, maybe, if you are extremely lucky, but even that isn’t a guarantee of sales on this site. You can have the best product in the world, but if no one can find it, no one is going to buy it.

3 Likes

Interesting thoughts, bro. In General I agree, uniqueness is a thorny path, in fact, such crazy and awesome bands like SOAD a lot, but gained worldwide fame only this band. I find it very difficult psychologically to write music I don’t like, although I can do it, but I am deeply convinced that when you do something that you don’t like it, then nothing good will come of it. And I don’T like corporate,epic, and other tracks that are similar to each other as 2 drops of water. You can do unique, interesting but formatted music, C2C is a great example, or Lady Gaga, just need to find myself, but it’s just the hardest

If you’re just starting out I actually don’t think you want to be “too” unique because then no one will find you in the search engine until you’ve already produced like 20 songs, or, if they did find you then you’d have to be lucky.

There’s no real fast track with AJ itself, you’d have to promote outside of AJ and already have a reputation to get sales fast. While working on marketing, what I would do is music that’s slighty unique but really high quality because you want to be distinctive in a genre that people search for often, then over time you can branch out and try to capture niche markets as the culmination of your audio draws more traffic. A lot of new authors I see usually rise up using this method where the songs they make are high quality, somewhat unique but not to the point where it’s uncommon.

Corporate and ukulele.

IMO, much more important than avant-garde creative ideas are relevance, usability and sound quality. If you have all that, plus you add something of your own that stands out as unique but still works to strengthen the original concept of the track, then you’re good :sunglasses:

Speed comes with practice, and you’ll need it to make a dollar and a cent, but I wouldn’t recommend deliberately trying make a weak track. Do your best and be as efficient as possible. The rest is marketing.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Ditto, stock music can be a bit rough in that regard.

Hi, I’ve wrote “Unique”(ish) sounding tracks and despite having 50 in my library, at the end of my first year, it has resulted in a mere 82 licences being sold. I should also add that although I’m relatively new to Audio Jungle, I’ve got nearly 30 years experience writing music for film/tv etc.
This library, and more importantly it’s customers, tend to favour a certain few types of music - a look at the top sellers will reveal what they are .
There was a new writer featured by Envato a few months ago who had achieved 1000 sales from just 5 tracks in his first year. His 5 tracks had the same titling, sounds, production and chord sequences/flavours as the best sellers.
So … what would I suggest ?
My belief is that each track can almost be like a lottery ticket; you never know what is going to make peoples ears prick up.
The reality, however, is you will probably be more likely to get instant results on here if you choose tiles like “Inspire” “Epic” “Happy” “Upbeat” and copy sounds and composition of the best selling tracks in each category of those titles for your own compositions…plagiarism appears to be an accepted part of stock music. The reason I use the word “probably” is because many authors have already done that and the market is saturated . I did think this when I joined Audio Jungle a year ago and despite saturation I’m the one with 83 sales of 50 uniquely titled and sounding tracks a year later…

1 Like