UK & USA Individuals W8-BEN Form?

Hello folks, I was wondering if anyone here is in the same situation as myself and could possibly help me fill out my W8-BEN form?

I’m a Self Employed Individual from the UK and need to fill out the IRS W8-BEN form for a customer so they can pay me and also so I don’t have 30% witholding tax applied to my payment.

I don’t have an ITIN which it asks for in Section 5 and have not applied for one. Can I just fill in section 6 instead using my HMRC UK Unique Tax Number in this field instead?

Also, at the beginning of the form it states “Do NOT use this form if: You are a beneficial owner claiming that income is effectively connected with the conduct of trade or business within the U.S. (other than personal services)” What does this mean?.. if someone wants to license a song from me for use in a US Production for release worldwide, should I not be filing out this form?

And finally in Section 10 because it’s music related, is it still Article 12(1), or is that relative to Royalties from Images only?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows how I can contact the IRS by email?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about the rest, but yes, your HMRC tax number is fine.

1 Like

You can use your NI number, instead of a tax ID…

1 Like