Tuts+ Learning Challenge Feb 2019 - pledges and goals

Welcome to our learning challenge thread! This topic is aimed at helping you to achieve your goals, sharing any Tuts+ courses or tutorials that you’d like to explore, and hopefully getting some peer support to help you finish what you started.

How can I get involved?

Easy! :slight_smile:

Simply post in this thread, letting the world know what you’re planning to focus on. Introduce yourself too, if you’d like to - but the goal is the most important part. There’s a lot of power in simply putting your goals out in public - “This month, I’d like to finally learn how to set up my own website.”

Then, post some updates as you go, either in this thread, or elsewhere in the Courses & Tutorials area. We’ll start a few discussions around broad topics like Code or Design & Illustration, but you’re also welcome to create your own if you wish. Share details of which course or tutorial you’re working on, and how you’re finding it. If you get stuck or run low on motivation, tell us that too! Everyone can use a boost sometimes, and we’d like to help you get through it.

What’s in it for me?

First and foremost, this is a way of staying accountable to yourself: set yourself a goal about what you’d like to learn, and get the support of your peers to see it through. You’ll get to finally start (and hopefully finish) that project you’ve intended to do for ages.

Also, at the end of February, we’ll pick some of our favourite contributions during the month, and we’ll send those people an Envato Awesome Community T-shirt in the mail :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ll start :smiley:

I work on the Envato Forums, which you’re reading right now! Our forum software produces many different reports on how our community is running, but there’s also a way to build custom reports if you have the technical skills to do so.

So, my pledge is this: I’d like to learn enough SQL to be able to build some custom reports, and tinker with some of the pre-built ones that we already have. I’m going to try doing that by starting with this course, and seeing where it takes me…

I’ve briefly looked at a few different tutorials in the past, but haven’t stuck with them long enough to really understand the topic. So, my goal this month is to get a proper grounding in the basics - enough to start building queries on my own.

8 Likes

Hi, I am Alice. I am a master student doing Digital Communication and culture at The University of Sydney. I don’t have much work experience. I hope to work with flexible hours so I think being a freelancer is a suitable job for me in the future. I choose Freelance Bootcamp course.t might be helpful for me to form a systematic concept of the freelance market and see if I fit it.

My goal is to: gain some practical tactics for a freelancer, including finding clients, charging, and self-marketing. I had a quick look at its length and content table, it contains 14 lessons and takes 1.9 hours in total. I think I can master all the skills mentioned in the course in the following weeks.

5 Likes

Hi there,

My name is Clotilde and I am a master student in Digital Communication and Culture at the University of Sydney. I am now enrolled in the unit of study MECO 6942 (Mangement of Social Media Communities).

I am not tech savvy at all, but i would like to overcome my fears about that and start by creating a blog on WordPress. So i found this first tuts:

I am not sure that I have tried to insert my tuts as you have done on this message, guys, so you can appreciate my tech level ;))

I need your help for not feeling too stupid and succeed this first step!

I will try after that WP & Elementor, if i have time.

It will be tomorrow for you whan I am going to have the lecture (I am working from France).

4 Likes

Oh yes, it has worked (for the insertion of my tuts) !

1 Like

The one I have seen first was this one:

But I will see this one in a second step if it is possible for me.

3 Likes

Heya everyone!

I’ve decided to take this month to add JavaScript programming to my skills with CSS and HTML. It seems like they go well together to make up the holy trinity of website building. Hopefully by the end of the month I’ll have the skills to create a Hello World printout that will shock and amaze the world!

I have my eye on these Tuts+ courses:

Let’s get hacking! :computer:

3 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I am working on my assignment every night and busy on full-time working in retail.

The first goal in 2019 as well as celebrating Chinese New Year is to learn how to post , how to reply, how to moderate the community and pick up what Ben asked me to do quickly. I am working hard to catch up everything that you threw to me. It has been really difficult because I really hate using laptop and I am not a high-tech person so it is hard for beginner to learn new things but I promise I will try my best.

So, my pledge is this: I’d like to learn adobe Indesign to be able to build some pretty magazines or flyers which are useful for my next semester’s course and I believe it also benefits for my future career. Therefore, my basic goal for this month is at least get basic idea of how to use very basic tool of Adobe Indesign.

And , by the way, happy Chinese New Year to everyone, and wish you have the best Pig Year 2019:blush::blush::blush::blush:

4 Likes

you can do it Clo, I knew both of us are not high tech but we can try our best to learn something new !!!how excited !:blush::blush::blush::blush:

2 Likes

Hello everyone!
This month, I want to get a start on creating my own website/ blog using Wordpress, so a couple courses I’m looking at are
https://code.tutsplus.com/courses/create-content-in-wordpress-with-posts-and-pages
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/courses/a-beginners-guide-to-using-wordpress
I also want to improve on my photography skills so am also doing this course also https://photography.tutsplus.com/courses/design-fundamentals-for-photographers
I’ll be working on this project through next few weeks so hope to keep you guys updated. I haven’t decided the topic area which I want to base my blog on yet but possible options I have so far include: “food reviews from amateur cook”, “what I learned”, “short reflections of the week”, “living on uni budget” etc… However, if you guys have ideas, feel free to comment or message and please me know. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

my god , it is really hard to manipulate on the laptop. I still prefer using computer.

@MiaLiyingLiao Good choice! InDesign is great for anything involving a lot of text. It’s easily my favourite program from the Adobe suite :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ben, it is not easy at all…but I tried m y best and I have no choice ,I had a subject about in design next semester so have to learn this skill:joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Hey Ben, is there anything you need from us to help this learning goal stick? :slight_smile:

Maybe you guys can swap notes! You’ll get it @MiaLiyingLiao, just practice :smiley:

1 Like

Hey @voldey, that’s awesome! Love that you’re challenging yourself with two courses. Is there anything we can do to support you?

You can do it @MiaLiyingLiao! And Happy New Year to you… Pig is my favourite animal so I hope it brings good luck :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::pig:

1 Like

Cannot wait to see this shocking Hello World printout @KingDog! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You’ll ace it.

1 Like

You can do it @CloSyd2019 - it’s easy once you get in there! Can’t wait to see your site. X

1 Like