Top Sellers Should Be Based On Revenue NOT Number Of Sales!

+1 of course, been thinking about it from the first day I’m at AJ. And don’t understand WHY it is not so yet. There are guys who sell sounds, and for example there is a guy Sound-Ideas at the top on the second place on AJ who will soon become the first on AJ, but he sells sounds and his revenue is much less then Pinkzebra’s one, I guess. At least it will be very unfair.

Well folks a lot of the comments are being censored. We all just want to understand the law and the logic because the response is:

" we are told by our legal team that under the current pricing model we have, we as in Envato cannot be involved in any way in the price setting of the author items

Therefore, we cannot set a minimum or a maximum price on our marketplace…"

I just want to ask Envato though, hasn’t a minimum price for a piece of music indirectly been set at $5 as it stands now? I do think this is a fair question. Should we not be able to sell for as little as 1 cent if we so chose to sell at that price?

Could Envato not just ask the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission what they can and can not do?

1 Like

Yeah, well, first we get our $4,2 share, which is basically %90 of your work’s value, theeeen we start being strict with the legal stuff.

1 Like

Can we stay on topic, please?

3 Likes

Can we get an official answer for this complain? It’s been years since authors are asking about this problem. More and more low priced items are getting higher position in popular pages, or is it what Envato wants from authors?

1 Like

+1.

@jamesgiroux @BenLeong @KingDog

Still awaiting Envato’s response :blush:

My bad. Thought this was a question about current A/B tests.

@KingDog
Thanks for the response!

So, are we to understand that this is something that will be tested? Excellent!

Sorry I miss understood. I thought you were talking about the ordering of files test that’s ongoing. I have no idea if this will be tested or not.

2 Likes

@KingDog, just a simple question that implies a very simple answer (a Yes or a No) and that’s what authors here are waiting for from the Envato team, I guess:
So, for Envato team it still makes sense, with ADP implemented and many tracks priced at $5, to reward those tracks and their respective authors with increased visibility on the top sellers chart and in search results, based on number of sales instead of generated revenue? It seems is what this topic is all about. Thanks a lot for your time!

As far as I remember we have discussed several ideas in this thread, so doing a little recap here:

1. Sort Top Sellers by revenue, lets just call the Popular files list Trending Stock Music as an example, best selling/trending stock music tracks could be sorted by how much they have earned the last week. Alternatively a mix between sales numbers and revenue, BUT this can complicate things, so it might be the easiest and most bullet proof approach to only sort by revenue.

2. Search engine filter “Best Match” could be sorted by revenue and date published.

3. Remove search by low/high-high/low and replace with Sort music prices <—$20 and $20—>. I have seen this on another stock music site, and the result is that when you search <—$20 a mix between different priced tracks show up. If customers absolutely want a $5 track or any other specific price range, they can search the price slider in the same way as they can do now.

If anything should be edited in this post let me know.

For details about the reasons why we believe these ideas would help customers find high quality tracks and reduce the gaming of the search system dramatically, read this post among others in this thread: Top Sellers Should Be Based On Revenue NOT Number Of Sales!

Dear @steve_lam I’ve heard rumours that you might be our best contact point to forward this information to the right people? :slight_smile: We are requesting this as a experiment for AudioJungle/Music, other markets might not benefit in the same way with these ideas.

Thanks!

3 Likes

+1 Dear Audiojungle Staff! Make the above minimum cost of one track from $20 (Problem will go away)

2 Likes

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

1 Like