Time to go un-exclusive?

Flumen, time to code a new site mate! You seem to be quite knowledgable. Hummingbird, I still don’t understand you and we’re too far apart anyway, so let’s just stop the exchange. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Haha, I think I prefer decoding over coding…

Ok, let’s be customers for a while…Do you really care if the track you are buying with thousands of sales can only be found in AJ or elsewhere? What’s the difference? You still pay 19$ for this track even it is exclusive or not, You still pay 19$ if it is 0 sales or 2500 sales!
It’s all about are share we get. I prefer 36% and place the same track in all over the world than 50% and refreshing by browser every now and then expecting a new sale that will give me 2$ more.
And let’s face the truth, the way to the top in order to reach 70% of the price it’s waaaay to difficult these days…

1 Like

That’s an interesting point! Even though my so called “bestsellers” all have that main keyword in them (hiphop). But i guess, the amount of sales i made are so funny anyways, it is not relevant to the market. Still, putting that keyword definitely works for me when it comes to hiphop genre and never worked with those ultra hyped “corporate” and “inspiring” ones. Aaah, mystery…

Well, “hiphop” is not in the special list. It’s in the “exact match” list, but since it’s a misspelling not many tracks are called just “hiphop”. That’s why “hiphop *something” will still show up pretty early in the search results for the customers who also happen to misspell it. :smiley:

Compare to “hip hop” or “hip-hop”, which are treated the same, and you get 5 times as many results. :wink:

Using misspelled words is a common strategy and can sometimes work well if enough customers also misspell them.

1 Like

Hello guys, I came from River (graphicriver) to your Jungle… and you know what? We are experienced down time in sales too… this is happen all over the market, for many authors.

I think we should be able to set our own prices by now as we were promised. Come on Envato.

Hi @FlossieWood,

is it a good thing for us authors to set your own prices (under the current conditions)?

Can you explain your thoughts and why you think it would be good deal for us authors?

thx & greets

Well I think, the prices are too low for starters. I know my worth!!! Envato is a platform from which authors can sell their product and therefore it follows we should be able to control the cost of that product. I think there should be a minimum price set for the sake of fairness but apart from that it should be up to the individual.

Oh and there hasn’t been a price increase for a loooooong time.

2 Likes

Hi @Novocaina,

i thought GR has author driven prices activated, Pls correct me if iam wrong.

But can you explain/tell us what happened before and after ADP with GR?

What is your experience? Where your earnings positive influenced by this change?

I know its subjective, but can you share some experiences from your GR collegues with us to get a more bigger picture of the change? What is the current status quo and feeling/mood from you GR authors before and after ADP?

Hi @FlossieWood

thanks for sharing your view with us, cause its very interesting to hear what you think.

Is there a minimum price or not? Sorry i dont know that excactly. If there are no minimum prices, what makes you think that way about ADP? Because client would pay more for your works anyways, or would be more possible that the complete median prices will rise?

Why there hasnt been a price increase for that long time? What do you believe?

Some authors would underprice their works, sell cheap but in high volume. Some countries have a lower cost of living which would make other authors unable to compete with that pricing strategy.

I don’t know why the cost of living has increased for everyone but prices have remained static? Perhaps someone from Envato HQ can answer please @KingDog ?

Flossie, It really is not entirely a cost of living issue. Let’s not forget about price communicating something to a client. If they narrow a search down to 2 or 3 tracks that they really like - 1 is $19, another is $39 and another is $79, We can not always assume they’d go for the $19 track. Sometimes the higher price may make them consider why? As in Why does this artist want $79, and what about the track is so special that the artist is demanding that price? Let price do some communicating and persuading. I really believe that anyone operating on a professional corporate level for a project will not care about an extra $10 $20 or $30 for a license in a project where it is financed by a corporation. I have proven this experiment by selling the usual “corporate sound” for $100 on other markets. Selling for $100 once is just as good as 5 sales on this market. Don’t pay so much attention to sales volume, put more importance on revenue. Oh no! we’re off topic! but it all ties together because people are trying to find ways to increase revenue. We can’t (try to) increase our revenue because we’re treated like egalitarian commodities around here priced at 19.

4 Likes

SteelSound. You are absolutely right! In my other music writing world, one placement of a library track triggered £900 fee. I understand the market is different here but the prices are not right and this system remains very unfair to all authors.

well we all know it’s only the top selling elite authors that can try to persuade management, but I guess they may feel like why should I fix what s not broken…I don’t know. I do know that many of those songs with great vocals are not worth 19. I’d have to believe those authors agree with me deep down. BTW Tim, saw this on the air recently. This is not a $19 base price tune. Those vocals don’t just happen is 3 seconds.

Oh dear :frowning:

If the paperwork was done, he should get some nice royalties…Thank God.

Actually, SteelSound, those aren’t vocals. It’s a plugin. $19 is completely reasonable.

If I haven’t adequately conveyed the intended sarcasm, let me state openly that I am being flippant.

4 Likes

wired meadows - yes we can adjust own prices - this is very helpful because I tested some strategies and for example when I dropped down some prices to ridiculous leve ( for example from 12$ down to 3$) this items sold immediately - and item with price 12$ wasn’t sell for weeks, after reducing price to ridiculous 3$ it sold 14 or 17 times hehehehe

So you have BIG possibilities when you can adjust own prices.

I can make my item 1$ or 1000$ if I want to :slight_smile: There is not much to explain - imagine you can adust very own prices WITHOUT REVIEW - this sounds good , isn’t it ? :slight_smile:

No, it does NOT sound good AT ALL!!! ADP must have a fixed minimum price otherwise the whole market will turn into a real jungle. Markets (and business in general) must have some rules to flourish, otherwise everybody will lose, including customers.