Time for a New Computer

Thanks for your interest, and the tips @simaudio. At the moment, I’m kinda stuck with W7 because the drivers for my audio interface aren’t compatible with W10. I could probably make do with something cheap with fewer ins and outs, but I don’t want to spend on an inferior unit if I can help it.

I also bought an upgrade to Cubase 10.5. Even though W7 is no longer supported for that version, I read that the only thing not working currently is the video export, which I don’t need. I wasn’t aware of the issue with some 64bit plugins though, so thanks for that info. I’ll look into that.
I am definitely limiting myself by stalwartly refusing to upgrade, but if it is possible to keep the current setup working without spending more on it, It’d be awesome. If not though, yeah, I guess I’ll bite the bullet.

I like the dual-boot idea. I currently dual-boot two copies of W7 so that I can keep my DAW (Cubase 7) system as clean as possible, and then I have a second installation for old games and junk. Perhaps I’ll go for W10 as my second boot option so I can try things on it. I know that eventually, I’m going to have to make the leap completely. I’ll definitely be considering my options over the coming months, since I’m likely to have the time at home to tinker with things because of this horrible virus that’s going around. And for that reason, I’ll be exploring more home-working options, but I would imagine video editing will be my main focus in that department. For that, we have a dedicated Mac. Might as well take the opportunity to try things out though.

1 Like

No problem glad if i can help in anyway :smile: Might be worth just trying the interface to see if it works when you do eventually get a copy of win 10.
The Cubase thing is basically when you install software sometimes it sees 64bit as a 32 bit plug in and adds it to the blacklist in plug in manager. To overcome this you simply reactivate it and what i’ve done is delete the blacklist file from the app data folder which is ok until you rescan for new plug ins. then you have to do it all again. It’s a Cubase thing in Win 10. Never had that problem with win 7 whilst using Cubase 10. It does it with; Massive X, Superior Drummer, Kontakt and some waves stuff. Doesn’t do it for everyone that i’m aware of. Could be a fix for it now but have not investigated recently. All the best in these uncertain times :+1:

1 Like