This is a Very Important and Urgent Notice for all WordPress developers about WordPress 5.0 update !

Hi

Urgent notice received from my web host company.

I have a very serious announcement for you today that you need to know about if you have any WordPress sites.

If you do not take action now, there is a very good chance that all of your WordPress sites will break in 6 days on November 19, 2018 (likely in the early morning hours USA time that day).

WordPress version 5.0 with the new Gutenberg editor is being released.

In most cases, your hosting account is going to automatically update WordPress to this new version for you.

If you do nothing before that update happens, you may have irreversible damage done to your site.

I have put together a brief guide to help you make sure your sites are protected.

Kind regards
Ken Kruger
Video Web Media Group

3 Likes

First, I think WP will not auto update to 5.0 version. Maybe I am wrong with this, but as I know auto update is working only for “steps” in same version, so like 4.1 -> 4.2 or 4.8 -> 4.9 and so one but it will not be autoupdate on from version 4.x to version 5.0

Second thing, there is a plugin which is created by WP team here - https://wordpress.org/plugins/classic-editor/ and that is the “classic editor” which you are using on version 4.x. So, you can install that plugin and use your theme like until now - with the classic editor until Authors does not update the theme.

In response to replies— about WordPress 5.0 update

Why is it a big deal if my site automatically updates to WP 5.0?

If your site is not prepared for the 5.0 update and it automatically upgrades on it’s own (which most hosting accounts are configured to do), it can potentially cause irreversible damages to your site. The reason why is that version 5 and specifically the Gutenberg editor is going to break a lot of existing themes and plugins that you currently use on your websites.

Once that update happens, if you use a theme or plugins that are not compatible, it can potentially cause all kinds of issues with your site. Once WordPress updates to the Gutenberg editor, you will not be able to undo those changes either, which is why it is critical to take action before this update happens to ensure your sites are safe.

In addition to that, there are new features with Gutenberg that will likely add content to your live website without you doing anything. Nobody likes waking up to see that their live websites have changed on their own, but that is exactly what is going to happen to all WordPress site owners on November 19th if they do not take action immediately.

Website Hosting matters with WordPress 5.0 Coming

Unfortunately, a lot of website hosts are not aware that WP 5.0 and Gutenberg are coming. They’re also not aware that this update can cause irreversible changes and potential damage to all WordPress sites if they are not properly prepared.