ThemeForest Free File nomations: APR-JUN 2018

My theme is selected as Free theme for the month of April but I did not get any emails from Envato about the selection. Did I miss the email @BenLeong ?

Very disappointing.

Both of our themes are made FREE Wordpress Theme. But never receive promotional emails about it, no FREE FILE badge. And since it has been approved as Free, it will never be approved as “Free File of the Month”

I want the badge :frowning:

Hi @bickyg and @thembay. I can provide a bit more information here:

Your items are on the Free WordPress Themes landing page for this month, which can be found here: https://themeforest.net/free/wordpress-themes

There are two main discovery pathways for that page:

• Organic search is the major one, as free wordpress themes is a high-traffic search term that our SEO team have optimised that landing page for. The primary role of that page is in customer acquisition, so your items will often be the first ThemeForest items that a new customer sees.

• The secondary role of that page is in a customer retention. A series of automated emails now go out to new ThemeForest customers after their initial purchase - you’re unlikely to see these as you already have existing accounts. Those emails go out to thousands of new customers during the month, with one email featuring the Free WordPress Themes page directly.

Items from that page can also appear in Market Mail newsletters during the month, where they suit the theme of any given email.

On the customer retention front, we know that a relatively small percentage of customers go on to make a second purchase from ThemeForest (most will buy a theme for their site, and then don’t need to return). However, those that do often buy many more items, and they’ll often purchase again from authors they have previously bought from. The Free Themes page plays a role in that process, increasing the likelihood of new one-time customers in becoming repeat buyers.

Free files on that page use a different system to the Free File of the Month shown on the TF homepage, so it is possible for a file to appear in both places - the main restriction is that no item can be the Free File of the Month more than once.

Regarding badges - the current “Free File of the Month” badge is locked to that system in Envato Market, and we can’t manually assign it for any other types of free item. There’s a new badge on the way that will cover free files used for other purposes (mostly landing pages and email) - I’ll be making sure that all authors featured on the Free Themes landing page will be receiving the new badge as soon as it’s available, as I have a list of all contributing authors.

Hope that helps! Thanks for nominating your items - while you may not see those files directly, they are still being shown to many new and returning customers throughout the month. We’re also looking into other ways to increase the exposure of these items, without harming conversion rates (which is the primary goal of the marketplace home page).

Hi @BenLeong,

Thanks a lot for the full answer. I knew about this because I had sent a ticket request for it.

For the purpose of Free theme, I want to drag customers to my account and buy other themes.

So are our themes still a chance to become “Free File of the Month”?

1 Like

Absolutely - any files nominated in this thread (which also meet the nomination criteria) can potentially be used as the Free File of the Month.

It would be great if we could see some where that how many copies of our theme is downloaded during the month of promotion as Free file :slight_smile:

I can see number of visitors are bumped by 10 times in comparison to regular days.

You must be the author of the file you’re submitting.

1 Like

Count me in.

https://themeforest.net/item/void-minimal-multipurpose-creative-portfolio/21556092

Hello @BenLeong

We would like to give following themes as free to the community.

1 Like