Themeforest as an full time income source? Some number crunching curiosity.

EugeneO said

I do not believe there is anyone alive that can produce a template a day, and documentation, and get it passed the reviewers, and make it good enough to make sufficient income, and offer customer support. The higher income from each WordPress theme makes it much more realistic. One WordPress theme a month averaging 300 sales over a year would provide a decent income. It’s certainly not guaranteed but it’s attainable.

as I said its not probable but it is possible, thats math was at 89k a year which is well above the average web designers get paid in the states(about 28-44k out of college) so even if you cut it to 10 themes a month you’ll be about the average of what’d you’d get paid full-time out of college

Working at that pace, 10 html themes a month, I would just suggest get a job… I think that if you could do one decent one a week, 4 in a month, you would be a rockstar.

1. i make here, after i split the income, in one month as i make at my parttime job in 2 years… so …
  2. you cannot transform this to simple math because there are a lot of factors here. will it sell? will it sell after some time? will the dollar still go down? many more factors… try it and if it qork dont look back!

Im making a framework where all I have to do is design the theme then simply integrate it into my framework which is pretty much a few hours of work.

Don’t do it because of money, do it because of passion

wpCanyonThemes said

Hmmm.

• Minimal salary in Serbia - $200
  • Normal salary in Serbia - $500

Most people i know have the minimal and a few of them have Normal.

• My first month on TF (a month ago) - $800
  • My second month on TF (this one that just ended) - $1650

So this is my full time job and i earn far more then 80% people in Serbia.

That is what makes Themeforest so great…depending on the country you live in, you are able to earn a lot more here than you could with a regular job. And it is a lot more flexible than those jobs that pay $200 or $500.

Of course it is a lot harder for me since I live in the US, and one of the more expensive areas on top of that (Los Angeles, CA). So I would have to sell 4-5x as many templates as wpCanonThemes to make it worth quitting my day job…or I could move to Serbia!

Here are the wages in the US:

• Minimum wage (@$7.50/hr) - $1200/mo
  • Median salary - $4100/mo
  • Median salary where I live - $4700/mo
fillerspace said
wpCanyonThemes said

Hmmm.

• Minimal salary in Serbia - $200
  • Normal salary in Serbia - $500

Most people i know have the minimal and a few of them have Normal.

• My first month on TF (a month ago) - $800
  • My second month on TF (this one that just ended) - $1650

So this is my full time job and i earn far more then 80% people in Serbia.

That is what makes Themeforest so great…depending on the country you live in, you are able to earn a lot more here than you could with a regular job. And it is a lot more flexible than those jobs that pay $200 or $500.

Of course it is a lot harder for me since I live in the US, and one of the more expensive areas on top of that (Los Angeles, CA). So I would have to sell 4-5x as many templates as wpCanonThemes to make it worth quitting my day job…or I could move to Serbia!

Here are the wages in the US:

• Minimum wage (@$7.50/hr) - $1200/mo
  • Median salary - $4100/mo
  • Median salary where I live - $4700/mo

In US you’re better off selling hot dogs then being a developer/designer. :slight_smile:

Yeah, move to Serbia :slight_smile: It’s awesome for whoever likes to watch “Ultimate fighting” sport he’ll love it, it’s the same here just on the street and not organized, every weekend.

Is Serbia in an old war zone?

revaxarts said

+1

Best advice.

themolitor said
revaxarts said

+1

Best advice.

Try paying the mortgage with passion… :wink:

Phoenix said

Is Serbia in an old war zone?

Hmm depends what you mean by old :slight_smile: US bombarded us for few months back in 1999 (or 1998 was a kid don’t remember).

But let’s not get on that subject not sure if it’s allowed :slight_smile:

It’s just a small little country where life expenses aren’t as big as in US for example.

I was just asking to increase my knowledge but then again I could of used wikipedia. :slight_smile:

This can be described as an interesting discussion.
I remain of the opinion that you can get all the calculations you want, but if you do not put it into play, you never know how it is.

GadilDesign said

I remain of the opinion that you can get all the calculations you want, but if you do not put it into play, you never know how it is.

Well put…they say the hardest part of running a marathon is taking the first step. What difference does it make how much money you could be making if you never get around to submitting a theme? So I am hereby committing myself to submit the theme I’m working on by March 31st. You are all witnesses!

GadilDesign said

+1 You could just try it and see if it is profitable.

fillerspace said

Well put…they say the hardest part of running a marathon is taking the first step. What difference does it make how much money you could be making if you never get around to submitting a theme? So I am hereby committing myself to submit the theme I’m working on by March 31st. You are all witnesses!

Right on! I’ll hold you to that! :wink:

JamiGibbs said
fillerspace said

Right on! I’ll hold you to that! :wink:

Thanks, I’ll need it…the first theme I submitted was completed in dec 2009 and submitted jun 2010. It was soft rejected with very specific recommendations, but it was movable type so i didnt bother resubmitting. Procrastination is my worst enemy.

Just to say how easy it is to make a living on here:

If you make 7 sales a day you earn the above the average salary in the UK.

fillerspace said

Try paying the mortgage with passion… :wink:

If you do what you’re passionate about, and work hard, the money will come. Passion should always come first. Being motivated by money will only get you so far.

Phoenix said

Just to say how easy it is to make a living on here:

If you make 7 sales a day you earn the above the average salary in the UK.

When you put it that way, it sounds too easy! 210 sales per month should be doable if you have a handful of solid items and a loyal following. There are a few like kaptinlin who have sold over 500 per month with their first theme, but that is rare. I expect to build up to those kinds of numbers over a period of time.

One thing that I’ve noticed about the themes that have been at the top of the charts is that there is nothing missing from them, if that makes sense. For example, I bought Striking and I thought, “what would I add to this theme to make it better?” and I couldn’t think of anything. Other themes that I’ve bought are missing something, whether it’s video support or a good gallery.

I’m trying to achieve that level of completeness in the theme I’m working on (codename: Topanga), and I even thought of a new feature that I’ve never before seen in a Themeforest theme that I’m sure will become standard.