The startup sounds from Windows 95 to Windows Vista, played back at 4000% of their original duration.

Hey guys some time found this on the internet and I have been fascinated. I wonder what technique used to achieve this clean sound without glitches or sound artifacts. Maybe you can shed some light on this before i write the soundcloud author who posted and wait for his response :slight_smile:

Saw this on an article on the CDM site here. The author is apparently using the open-source PaulStretch, (outlined in this interview with the programmer).

1 Like

Thank you Alumo. I had heard about this tool but I’ve never used it. I think it’s very experimental and sometimes used by artists to obtain random experimental results as in this case.
Really cool that you found that interview

I’m actually playing around with it as we speak, with some very interesting, yet quality results. If you’re on a Mac you can download it from here and PC versions found here

4 Likes

Perfect!, I need both of them because I have a pc also a mac.

Recently I was at a tech talk in which the Canadian producer Deadbeat. He told they used a computer only for PaulStretch’s tool that was working all day at the studio. From time to time when he was in the need of some inspiration they put an ear on that computer and listen to the results.

I think that’s a great idea. In fact, I’ve just been playing with a bunch of old 10 second long logos I made for AJ a while ago. The results it’s spitting out are incredible. I’ve just created enough material in 10 minutes for an hour long ambient album!

yeah… too bad it can’t be a vst … :S hopefully someday it will :smiley:

Very cool stuff! Thanks for the links @Alumo!

Maybe as it is opensource we could ask our partner Adigold to create an open source version. Maybe not so difficult who knows

I have tried Mac version but it seems a bunch of files. No .dmg files. And there is a .txt file saying that all these requeriments needed:
This is an experimental program for extreme stretching the audio.
Requirements:
- audiofile library
- libvorbis
- fltk library
- portaudio library
- libmad (for mp3 input)
- mxml library (for saving/loading parameters)
- not required, but you can use the FFTW library

Do i need any other program to make it work?

You need to download the binary, not the source file.

1 Like

Cool! It works!, thank you prestas!

1 Like

Absolutely great thing! Feels like creating a whole Ex Machina OST from a 1 minute piano piece.

2 Likes

Completely agree. And not an instance of Omnisphere or Kontakt to be seen. If anything, it’s a great way to create texturally deep pads and soundscapes from our own material, in an instant and throw these into a sampler. These can then easily be turned into a playable backing pad. Very inspiring. (how I hate that word right now).

Just for demonstration purposes, here’s just one example comparison of one I made earlier from a simple 10 second logo.

https://soundcloud.com/alumomusic/sets/paulstretch-cues/s-OVUfF

I’m pretty sure Brian Eno created the Windows 95 sounds. Stretched out…it still sounds like Brian Eno haha.

Very cool!! I’m going to download it right now :slight_smile:

Listen to Music for Airports and it is definetly this sound

Very cool!

Ooh yeah! :+1:

1 Like