The Sales Monitor 2

Btw, covid-19 made harmful impact on items mostly related to events and any outdoor activities. But with different type of portfolio April (peak of pandemic) was my best month for 6 years here.

4 Likes

Back to those days it was way lesser competition and top bar of quality was much lower. I remember when top projects were simple spinning-zooming typography and all kinds of slideshows))

Every time I catch myself that I should learn something new, should try to create something new, be somewhere on trend, etc.

3 Likes

For some reason, I start to think that majority of our buyers are schoolchildren :slight_smile: Once schools are open, sales drop intensifies.

1 Like

ahahha

This sentence is proof that the decline you see is not happening to everyone.
No need to get staff to explain this, other authors get the sales that you miss. Other authors are thriving, climbing the top author list while you are falling down.

This is not due to pandemic, or anything else market-wide. This is due to single authors portfolio not being in demand anymore.

3 Likes

You should see my graph, itā€™s sliced in a year.
Nothing falls over night.
I spent 10 years analysing Envato Market, maybe i am the only one who try miracles, with 1 and 300 items.
To better understand, if Envato want you to be a Rockstar you can be with a single item, otherwise you can spend your entire life producing items. We play the game for 10 years, and we are still in the game, now itā€™s time for switch players, and produce new talents for next 10 years.
Itā€™s hard to admit but trust me this is the way we go.

Your graph does not fall over night. It is a steady decline since 2017. Sales are going to other items. Other kind of items maybe.

10 years of analyzing the market might have been better used to create and innovate products :confused:

I am falling down in the top author rank but do still earn roughly the same over the last few years. Maybe I am still lucky, while you werenā€™t.

Maybe envato wanted me to succeed and it is not my items that make the difference, but some miraculous guy in envato HQ who ranks me high in the search result.

It is time to change the game Misel. Or else, they will switch players, as you say.

2 Likes

A lot of authors boycotted SS after their imposed (robed) on 1st of june all their users. So they come here. With all their portfolios. Of course that new authors take away some of your exposure too. But referring to my last post. I would say do not worry, wait for few weeks till kids will get used to their new environment in classes. They will find a way, how to get busy after school soon :slight_smile:

The 2017-18 fall down could be due to arrival of MOGRT and growth of Adobe Stock too.

You are thinking 1 year span is too short for a major change, personally I donā€™t think thats too short. If you check the monthly graphs of 2017-18, it may bring even more hard-to-digest info.

@miseld mine looks extremely similar. If I had to guess it would be from Envato Elements deploying in April of 2018 as well as Envato making it easier to upload stock/motion graphic videos and authors now making ridiculous 300+ file templates which all together cuts the entire market down.

2 Likes

What iā€™m trying to say is that every sale from my point of view is somehow controlled.

To better understand here is the example:

Videohive earnings with 20 items 1.3-1.8K per month in 2012

Videohive earnings with 100 items 1.3-2.2K per month in 2017

Videohive earnings with 200 items 1.2K per month in 2018

Videohive + Audiojungle + Envato Elements with 300+ items 1.8-2.2K per mont in 2020

From this example you see that there is no way to pass ~ 2k, no matter how much items you have.

We have over 10 million members and there is still space for a sale, we just need a better approach to offer items and rise shares.

Hello @miseld
I donā€™t think so, no one controls the sales because everything is clear and it is a matter of luck.
You are one of the greaters here and I really admire and respect you here.
Why not you try to produce some thing new in the techniques, quality and quantity with a high rate per days.

1 Like

I will try for sure. I lost time updating some old items, there is still a lot of them that needs to be refreshed. Focusing on oldies you lost time to upgrade your skills and make something differentā€¦ Hard job for us all.
Also i love to make multi platform items, in my case sometimes you are very limited with software options.

3 Likes

Hi! This is one of best posts I have read here. I am in that category; not in demand any more.
Well, hope it is little due to pandemic, any way. Thank you! You have open my eyes. I create stock footage, btw.
Best wishes!

If we take a look at the annual impact reports given out by envato, we can see that the community earnings are not rising for several years. Envato tries to hide that fact by not showing yearly earnings in the graph, but overall cumulative earnings, so you have to take a look at how much growth there is from year to year. You can see, very little difference since 2014. This is overall market earnings, not just videohive. I think videohive does in fact have an increase in revenue while other marketplaces saw a decline (like photodune). But letā€™s just get with the numbers we have here for now:

That they choose this rather abnormal way of showing it (cumulative earnings instead of normal earnings per year graph) is because I guess they knew it would look bad if they had an almst stagnant graph in their report, so they choose a graph that can only go upā€¦

So, almost no growth since 2014 earnings-wise, but my guess is that the number of active authors has very well increased since 2014, by a lot.
Average earnings per author are steadily falling, because there is no growth in sales for 6 years but a growth in authors.
Even though I think that videohiveā€™s growth is better than the overall market growth, I guess average earnings are falling.

So it is harder today to earn a certain amount than it was in 2014, because of more competition and not equally rising customerbase.

In the recent years, weā€™ve seen sales figures that no one dared to dream of in 2014. Over 100 weekly sales in the top authr list? Almost unheard of. over 30K sales on a single item in few years? Never been possible.

It is still possible to earn the same as some years ago,or more, you just have to compete with more authors, author teams etc.

5 Likes

I had huge rollercoaster in earnings during past 6 years, like 3-3.5 times difference and I clearly knew why it had happened. After analyzing market and my actions Iā€™m heading to best year(2020) here so far.

But must note that it might be the best year by combining VH and EE earnings.

1 Like

Ouch! That simply means we can never compare 2012s market potential in 2020. No matter if that was 200 dollars or 2K or 20K. Your comparison is valid only if you have 2 accounts and you have 20 items in one, 300 on another in the same year and both not raising above 2K.

Understandably we can not talk about qualitative part of portfolios and performance but should be careful not loose basic points.

I can at least assure you that it is possible to earn more than 2K per month consistently over several years. I did put constanty work in it, though.

5 Likes

my predication in 2022 you need to make 450 items to keep the 2k per month as the item will be $5 per month

@Creattive
But the most important question how many hours can we work per day, personally I am coding my own scripts to speed up the work, I reached 7 hours per day but I see it not enough because item quality is really important

I do not work more nowadays than when I started, if that is what you were implying.
Maybe I work smarter and more efficiently, but I think I also work less hours so it evens out.

4 Likes