The best DAW for film scoring?

Logic X for me with varies third party plugins. I’ve given pro tools and reaper a go but I always return to logic. I just like it! Does everything I want it to!

1 Like

IMHO Cubase/Nuendo and Protools where the most stable. Ableton had problems with some video codecs, sometimes the client sent me some rough compressed videos and Ableton collapesed because of the codecs. Never happened with the other DAWs. Happy scoring @AudioTrend

1 Like

Logic hands down, comes with loads of content.

2 Likes

Cubase or Logic. But I use Reaper. love it

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I’m still using a macbook pro with Tiger so I won’t be able to switch to 11 right now lol. It’s holding up, but it’s slowly on it’s way out. I’ll invite you to my macbook’s funeral. That will be a day full of tears for sure. I’m going to need all the support I can get :smile:

2 Likes

StudioOne 3

3 Likes

Thank you very much for valuable information guys! Going to try demo versions of all these programs.

Tried:

- FL Studio Video Player 2 Beta - my rating is 7/10.

1. Bad thing is that player stops to play the video after a several seconds or recording. Workaround is a function called “Dump score log to selected pattern” from “Tools” menu.
  2. Player often closes when I click to open an another plugin. “Detached” is on. Don’t know how to fix it.

- Studio One 3 Video Player - my rating is currently undefined.
It doesn’t play mp4. Probably the most common video format. Tried wmv, also doesn’t play. Uploaded .avi - plays, but no video. What am I doing wrong guys?

Check here and similar videos !

1 Like

You’re not using Logic Pro X, AudioTrend. That’s the problem :wink:

1 Like

I would be glad to use it, Jamie, but Windows won’t allow me to do it :unamused:

Probably I should think about purchasing Mac, but it will be in the future :blush: Thank you for advice! :+1:

Try to instal Apple Quick Time. When I was a PC user it solved a problem. Also be sure that you’re using up-to-date video codecs.

2 Likes

Oh thank you! Will try :blush:

I prefer to use Ableton. Convenient and fast. :wink:

The best DAW for film scoring is the one you are most familiar with. I hope everyone realises that there is no one “perfect DAW” for the job. Most DAWs can do all the things you want them to, but in different ways. There is no better - just different. :wink:

4 Likes

There’s basically not much matter in which DAW working. It’s more of a personal preference. What are those simply does best. I personally use Cubase 8 and I am very satisfied. But when I want to record the idea quickly, you can even use FL Studio, where MIDI editing very fast. :wink:

FL Studio is hands down my favourite for MIDI editing. The piano roll is a masterpiece.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with you. But this topic is about which DAW is the most convenient and thought-out for making a soundtrack for video/film. FL studio have some serious bugs in its video player, so it is harder to work with it. But I like FL studio and I’m most familiar with it. So, not all DAWs are good for this purpose…

Hi everyone! No one mentioned Digital Performer…
I think, CUBASE and DP gonna win the battle, then goes Logic and Abletone
As for FL Studio, it has the most powerful MIDI editing tool, but there is no scoring tool which is a big drawback for film scoring. I actually using FL Studio it’s easy and fast, but I don’t like such thing as PATTERNS, it’s very wierd feature…
I don;t like Cubase interface…
Now I am going to try Digital Performer, many film composers use this DAW (for example, Michael Patti). But, they say that it has a very poor MIDI editing tool

I wonder how many other people use FL Studio for score/rock/pop/corpo music :slight_smile: I think that’s quite unique!

1 Like

A lot people using Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer. I used Logic for long time and it good for some short viral video. Best Audio Editor for Video and Film is Protools!^^