Tests for ThemeForest Search Results Pages

This is a great news, what if you add a search by the last update?

Still doesn’t support retina SS :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Hello,

@jamesgiroux will you change all site size? For example item detail layout size?

Kind regards.

So first you open WordPress category in Envato Elements which causes sudden and massive sale drop to most of Themeforest authors and now you want to help somehow to increase our sale? Well done!

My issues with this layout are:

• It doesn’t highlight ratings enough. The stars are way too small IMHO.
  • In your screenshot you have sales on the right side underneath the price, while the actual live layout has the sales on the left side. Why? I think the number of sales should also be highlighted somehow.
1 Like

What’s the example of image attachment and how it’ll be shown?

2 Likes

At this stage all existing and new images will be displayed on the search results page. We will be resizing and cropping images to fit.

Yes this is what we have found from our interviews with customers.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we’re working on a fix.

Nice pickup - the image in the first post is an indication of what we’re intending the design to be and includes items we’re still designing/testing internally. The plan for the bolding is to highlight any keywords the user has searched for. Customers have told us they want to better understand the relevance of search results.

900x900 is the existing spec for these additional images. We haven’t got final dimensions on how big these will appear on search results yet, but we plan to resize and crop as necessary.

We’re still collecting Key Features from authors and plan to release this to customers in the coming weeks.

We thought so too, so we have increased the size of the stars since the mockup in the first post. The sales will move from the left to the right (and thus make room for the Key Features) in the next test which will go live in the next few weeks.

1 Like

Remember, there are countries that have very low connection speeds. You want high conversion rates, that means fast content delivery. Having huge images can give other results. Retina images can be used in the item description, as for the 590 image, there’s absolutely no sens of having it ultra crisp and sharp. Even a retina image can’t fit a full desktop site in a 590 image. :stuck_out_tongue:

Agree, but it is time to have a retina image on the Item Page > Theme Preview.

1 Like

You can already do that. In the item description Instead of 616 pixels use 1232 pixels width, and double the height. The image will be resized. Voila! :slight_smile:

The preview 590 is great without retina. Faster loading. Everything else, the author can decide how much he wants to weight down his item page.

Thanks for your reply but I was talking about (Item Page > Theme Preview[removed by mod])

I know, my answer still stands as above. Pages by default need to load fast. Therefore, that section should not be retina. There is no purpose in that. In a 590 image, if you’re selling a theme, you can’t fit screenshots that will have any discern-able detailed images, retina or not. That’s why there is an item description. More height, a bit more width, and an open canvas for creativity and information.

That’s a standard that would affect all items on the marketplaces, so you can be certain it’s not going to change in the foreseeable future. (my 2 cents)

PS: I removed your image and link, that can be considered as self advertising! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Only if load speed was the only factor and it’s not really waste of bandwidth either. Retina images are additional sizes served via srcset to only high-dpi screens. The visual difference on a high-dpi / retina screen is pretty clear with the normal images being blurry - not something you want on a market that happens to sell “design”. Since most of the sites have been using retina images for years now, most of the users on the high-dpi screens have their expectations set accordingly.

P.S. Envato Elements is using retina images.

@trent-aus wondering what’s the reason behind the extra focus on price and the de-emphasizing sales count by making it tiny (social proof?).

1 Like

That sounds like a great idea. I’m wondering how many authors would game this and show different images for different screens, not to mention, the fact that there’s extra work when uploading each file.

As I said, I doubt this will ever come to, and it’s impossible to compare Elements to ThemeForest. Different styles.

1 Like

Retina images have been adopted by the web since 2011 so it’s nothing new - it’s a standard practice. The way the tech enables it is the image is uploaded at 2x the size and a retina image is added to srcset - if the screen is high-dpi the browser decides to use the 2x image. 1x version of the image should be auto-generated. And even if two images had to be uploaded, preview image changes are subject to review.

That’s all there’s to it. I don’t see the need to get so riled up over a mere suggestion. Envato has implemented it for Elements so they have the tech know-how.

No one got “riled up” over anything mate. I was simply stating why this isn’t going to happen anytime soon! :wink:

There should be a filter - “Support included” - Yes/No (I mean 6 month support from author)

1 Like

There shouldn’t be any themes without support.

I agree, but unfortunately there is a option not to give support for the theme and customer can’t do anything about this (if they buy items like this). So, maybe “Support included” filter is not a bad idea.

1 Like

Hi,
It s awesome bit I noticed some low sales after this change.
60/70% less sales then before.
Maybe is only at me…

Cheers