Switch to Single Resolution for Photos

Hi, @kdubdent
Don’t you (not “you” for sure, the ones who “responsible”, ) still think that the decision was wrong, after all those messages from customers?

1 Like

They made it clear they weren’t interested in keeping those customers. So having those customers be mad and leave will most likely not change their mind.

2 Likes

I too am a long time customer who only used Photodune exclusively because of the affordable small images that were available for the web. You definitely don’t have the best selection of photos, so why else in the world would we come here? For the price! Duh! Very disappointing. Off to find a new place to get photos.
Who has suggestions on where to get our photos now? Are there other stock photo websites that have small photos for reasonable prices?

2 Likes

Wow, this is a really tragedy. This decision, I feel, will push web designers to find other solutions. I had no problem paying for hi-res photo when I needed them. However, majority of my work is on the web and there is no justification in me paying for the full-res file when the web demands completely the opposite. I understand that this kind of pricing may be reasonable in other categories like “themes”, given that themes are inherently a web product. However, the graphic world stands separate from the web world since it has both applications: print and web. Again, applying this model to the photo and graphic space makes absolutely no sense.

Photodune has been my go-to stock photo site for a while, but this changes things.

2 Likes

Which website is that? Peace, Photodune.

1 Like

Hey @ThePresentationDesig

We’re really sorry to have had to have disappointed you this change and to see you go. I think this experience has taught us a great deal here about how we can better communicate with our customers moving forward.

We also agree with some of the points you’ve raised, and are actually working towards them. We are indeed creating a subscription models for photography, and we’re also going to be working to address your point about a better search experience as we believe this is essential. You can read more about the roadmap here.

Is anyone from Photodune actually reading this feedback? If so, I am still waiting to hear how I can get a refund on my current credit. I sure others would also like an answer to this.

1 Like

Hi @eveandadam, apologies for missing your question about this. Please contact the Help team if you have enquiries about credits on your account.

Thank you.

Of course, I had already tried to find where to contact the help team but couldn’t manage to find an email anywhere on the help or the contact page.

Since an email wasn’t provided in your response either, I had another look and finally located a link to a request form. Here it is for anyone else who may want it: https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=37840

1 Like

Search needs to be remade on the entire market… current search is a disaster.

I really hope subscription model is going to be rational.
To be honest I really thought that recent posts will tip the scale on returning the old pricing model at least for the time a new solution is figured out.

Goodbye Photodune!

The ONE selling point for me, to buy here and not on other plattforms, or use free pictures from pixabay and co are, i can support good photographers and buy a picture with exactly the size i want, for a fair price. I don’t must buy 30 Megapixel images, for a small website or a flyer.

Now i must buy a big image, that i don’t need. On other side… now i use free images again, or buy it from big stock markets, not anymore from photodune. It’s now the same price, but big markets have better lincences, more pictures and great service. Photodune was for me the perfect partner, for fair price, small size images, with option to buy better resolutions only when i need. Now it’s the same like other stock markets, but not better.

Update totally sucks. I hope the sells going back to zero for this absurd decision.

3 Likes

Bad news to me :confused: Usually bought photos of the appropriate size mostly on extended license. Until now…

1 Like

i dont think you really thought this through and i dont think
you understand what photodune customers need/want.

i give you a small example :

a big part of all the images you see on themeforest came from photodune.
webdevelopers bought 10-20 images from photodune to showcase their templates.

envato benefited in 3 ways from this system :

1. developers bought your images
  2. people who bought the templates and wanted them to look like the
    advertised templates bought the images (cause they are not included in the template)
  3. photodune had alot of free promotion because developers
    advertised their themes/templates (with photodune images) on social media and so on

the same goes for graphicriver (photoshop plugins,poster,flyer,…)

with your new pricing system you made images 700-900% more expensive. which means
that all content creators who dont need high resolution images wont buy photodune
items anymore. this means you will not only lose them as customers - you will also
lose people who bought themeforest/graphicriver items …

i even think this could have an impact on themeforest sales. if you check the comment
sections - one of the most asked question is : “where do i get the images ?” and if they
cant get the images or they are too expensive - some people wont buy the template then.

a normal html template on themforest costs around 15-25$ - with 10 images from
photodune it was 10-20$ extra. now its 70-90$ extra.thats absurd.
and no one who only needs a few low resolution images for a template will make a subscription.

you should ask yourself a very simple question : if your favourite internet provider, restaurant,sport club,
or whatever would raise the price from one day to another by 700-900% and would tell you “we are only
offering the highest quality now”- what would you do ?

i guess we all know the answer. and all the negative feedback in this thread shows it.

like i said in my last post. its your decision. i used google. found another provider within 2 minutes
and made a new account there to buy my images because there i can buy the resolutions i need without
a subscription. my problem is solved.

i would like to become a photodune buyer again if you bring back the old pricing system
(because i would not have to manage different accounts then). but after your answers i dont see this
coming.

so good luck with your subscription model - i am out. bye bye photodune.

4 Likes

Based on the size and implication of the changes, I’d like to think that they have thought it through, and it is us who have not thought through their reasoning sufficiently. I’m imagining work groups, market research, project manager’s, lots and lots of data, meetings, planning, forecasting etc etc.

That’s a lot more in-depth than me reading the announcement, digesting it, thinking about it for a bit and then thinking it might not be the best idea. But if they’ve utilised all of the above and come to the conclusion that it might actually be the best idea… then who am I to argue!

I have been a Photodune customer since 2011 and can only comment the move to high res only photos is completely bonkers.

95% of the time I only need web res photos for my websites so why would I want to sit and wait while I download megabytes of extra file size that I do not need? It is a waste of my time and valuable bandwidth.

I’m also surprised about the lack of an email to tell me this was going to happen - not very professional at all!

How do I go about getting a refund of my pre-deposited funds?

2 Likes

Actually no, they missed this audience… I can assure you they did. Verified :stuck_out_tongue:

Unbelievable.

2 Likes

Weekly top sellers say it all https://photodune.net/page/top_sellers

4 Likes

Holy moly, funny and sad at the same time

1 Like

By the way, friends ; just letting you know…
The popular items’ section for photodune was always the same (such low sales - A screenshot from October-2 Week Ending)

(surely this doesn’t remove the fact that how “they” irresponsibly carried all those actions.)

1 Like