SVG images/Icons instead of PNG.

Hi every One, Happy Winter.

I am about to upload new theme on themeforest, I thought to use SVG images intead of standerd formats like JPEG, GIF, or PNG. But I am bit confused. can I use SVG images on my theme? Please suggest.

Hello, theoretically–yes, but in fact you must provide a fallback. I used svgs in one of my works for TF but with png fallback. It turned to be a double work actually.

Maybe things changed since then but I am almost sure that still not all the hostings and all the browsers support svg. When I made that my work, GoDaddy did not support svg, Explorer naturally too.
Even if GoDaddy now supports it (I did not check) other hosting companies may not. And you cannot know where people will host their websites. Hence, svg is still “dangerous”, you must provide a fallback.

Skypar said

Hi every One, Happy Winter.

I am about to upload new theme on themeforest, I thought to use SVG images intead of standerd formats like JPEG, GIF, or PNG. But I am bit confused. can I use SVG images on my theme? Please suggest.

SVG is really cool because it is the future technology and future of png. And absolutely when comes the question of retina ready themes. They look very cool on Retina ready display. But yes there is a but... It is the future so still many browsers do not support it as well as many hosting providers. So you must implement a second option whenever SVG is not supported. But I will recommend why not using FonAwesome icons? They are pixel perfect and retina ready and yes there are many many FontAwesome alternatives...

I want to use this plugin on one of my themes; http://lazylinepainter.info

Unfortunately, this is impossible for now :slight_smile: