Support system sucks

themeforest

I have a request for making the support system better. I don’t typically need support, so the 6 months of support you get from a product like a Wordpress theme goes unused. I have one WP theme in particular that I’ve been using for well over a year now, only to find a problem with it that I need support for. I’m not going to pay the cost of the whole theme again just to get an answer to one question from the theme author. That’s ridiculous.

I understand that the support has expired, but why can’t there be a way to ask questions about a theme that other customers can answer? This could actually take the burden of answering every question off the creator, who can then focus more on making the themes better. Just a thought.

1. use these forums
  2. some authors have their own forums for customer help e.g. Avada does
  3. ask on one of the many Facebook groups to do with WP questions
  4. There are loads of sites to ask WP questions e.g. wordpress.stackexhanges.com, wpquestions.com etc

Not sure but the support price should be approx 30%-50% of the theme price.
In theory, you’re not going to pay the full amount. To prevent these issues, while you’re purchasing the theme, you should extend the support much more better price

Because, for you using a theme for a hole year, it means it is well functioning and it help you earn money your self.
Authors need to earn also, to keep developing those amazing new features you guys get.

Do not cry for 20 - 30$. Pay them and say a big Thank you, for what they do for you. It is how Karma works.

You can always use item comments or contact form on author’s profile page and it is up to the author if he will help you or not.

Sorry but this would not work as there are too many people out there (no disrespect to anyone specifically) who feel that buying a theme and changing some images, text and maybe even a font family somehow makes them an overnight developer.

What happens if the advice is wrong and something breaks the site? Who is responsible? Who will fix it?

• envato won’t want people to have a bad experience, or worse still be blamed.

• authors will not want to give up control or risk a buyer’s site using their theme break.

Of course there are buyers who are experts and could potentially help. There are author teams big enough to have forums and communities and even monitor these BUT the idea of opening up potential problems based on uncontrolled or unknown individuals is very dangerous.

Some good points, but I’m not going to pay $50 to extend support for 6 months just to get one question answer regarding the theme. If I can’t figure it out and I have to pay that much, my likeliest response is going to be paying for a different theme altogether. Oh well.

Go pay for a different theme then.
Things in life does not come free.

I can be clever, too: not all things in life are worth paying for. You are on a free forum right now, in fact.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t have to pay for support. But some things are ridiculous. Imagine buying a car that came with 6 months of free mechanical work. A year later you realize you can’t find the fuse box and it isn’t in the manual. You look everywhere. No luck. So you go to the dealer and you’re like, “Hey, I just need to find the fuse box, can you just tell me where it is?”

The dealer replies, “No, you have to pay me $50 for that information.”

Disappointed, you turn to the others in the lobby at the dealership and say, “Hey, can anyone tell me where the fuse box is?”

Only to have the dealer say, “You can’t do that here. You can’t ask other people. You have to pay. Nothing in life is free, buddy.”

That would be ridiculous. All I’m saying is there should be a way to ask other people simple questions without having to pony up another $50 for something that doesn’t warrant the full price of the theme.

If you don’t want to pay for support, then unfortunately you have to find your way on your own. Supporting expired customers is not allowed according to Envato guidelines.

If the author supports you, then other customers will also start expecting the same. Then, the whole support guidelines will look meaningless.

Being on a free forum doesn’t provide you the support you’re asking for, I think.

It’s not good example.I’m pretty sure that the car didn’t cost ~50$. Also what you’re buying here is not a physical material.

Still, on your example, consider it works this way:If you’re buying a car from a dealer, dealer doesn’t have to teach you how to drive. It’s your responsibility that you need to learn before. He could offer you to find someone to teach you how to drive but it’s not going to be free just because of you have bought a car.

Nope, if I had to make the example like my situation, then instead of $50 for the simple answer from the dealer, I’d be paying the price of the car. That’s even worse. I’m not asking to learn to drive. I’m not asking for free support from the theme creator. I’m asking for a way to ask other users simple questions regarding the theme. There is no way to do that. I’m suggesting that there be a way to do that. Every other software enables you to ask questions of other users and also gives you the option of paying for official support. Have you ever used Magento? You can ask all day in their forums for free. Or you can also get paid support. I don’t understand why this is a difficult concept to grasp.

I gave you ideas on where to ask, there are tons of places setup for questions like yours, Envato won’t setup another support place as it will take a lot to moderate, and why reinvent the wheel.

If it’s a fairly general “where’s the fusebox-type” question, these forums are a good place to start. There are lots of smart people here who can and do share their knowledge out of the goodness of their hearts…

The challenge is ultimately one of volume. Most support related questions are small. But one author will have many customers. These kinds of questions can (and do) stack up very very quickly. The support cost and policy exists to make sure that our authors can properly resource the reply to these questions and provide customers with a service level of support.

If it’s a piece of information that was promised as part of the purchase, then that’s entirely fair enough. But although some questions might seem quick and easy for an author to answer, I think it’s well worth remembering that what you’re really paying for is expertise.

There’s a little story about this that I enjoy:

After many years at a big company, one of the key Engineers retired. A few weeks later the company’s Big Machine broke down.

Try as he might, the Manager couldn’t get the machine to work again so the company called in the retired Engineer as an independent consultant. The Engineer agrees. He walks into the factory, takes one look at the Big Machine, grabs a small hammer and whacks the machine once whereupon the machine miraculously springs back to life again. He leaves and the staff of the company returns to work.

The next day Manager receives a bill from the Engineer for $5,000. The manager is furious at the price and refuses to pay. The Engineer assures him that the price is more than fair. Manager retorts that if is genuinely a fair price the Engineer won’t mind itemising the hugely expensive bill. The Engineer agrees and produces the following:

Hammer: $5
Knowing precisely where to hit the machine with hammer: $4995

I believe that would explain everything :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the story. The Hammer and the Engineer :slight_smile:

The best story for someone want fair :smiley:

Envato should already have enough data to estimate whether support packages after initial purchase are actually bought and in what percentage compared to product sales, so can we hear this data?