Storytelling with motion graphics learning resources?

I would really appreciate it if any of you here have studied on the subject and know maybe a book or two about the art of storytelling.

Anyway, as a way to improve myself and grow in the world of film i am searching for anything that can improve my way of thinking about storytelling in film, motion graphics, writing and so on.

The older i get the more i regret i never studied in arts :slight_smile:

The Writer’s Journey by Christopher Vogler, and then Joseph Campbell’s Hero with a Thousand Faces (which Vogler’s book is based on).

Fascinating themes based on the ‘monomyth’, the idea that all storytelling, throughout the ages and across the globe, has common character types and structural elements. George Lucas was a big fan of Joseph Campbell and the original Star Wars trilogy played out his ideas with great effect!

This then lead myself onto Carl Jung who believed that we inherit all story telling elements from our ancestors and that we all hold an unconsciousness collective of character ‘types’ and religious symbology in our minds.

Enough to get you going…

EnchantedStudios said

Enough to get you going…

It sure is ! :slight_smile: Thanks.

In the meanwhile i found ‘‘Save the Cat’’ by Blake Snyder and ‘‘Master Shots’’ by Christopher Kenworthy which i will definitely check out with ‘‘The Writer’s Journey’’. There are so many good books to read, if anyone has a personal favorite on the subject i would love to know what that is and why :slight_smile:

From a film point of view, Robert McKee’s Story is a good one. It’s rather opinionated and absolute (and for that reason parodied by Charlie Kaufman in the excellent Adaptation, but worth a read too.

I think from a motion graphics point of view, it’s interesting to watch films with a critical eye and watch how the camera is used to tell stories in single shots or short sequences of shots.

For storytelling in motiongraphics this link shows you the basics in a funny and interessting way
http://vimeo.com/7440725.
For animation itself the book “the animator’s survival kit” form richard williams is a very important book. doesnt matter if you animate 2D or 3D charakter or objects. this book goes from the basics to the high art of animation.

AndrejE said

For storytelling in motiongraphics this link shows you the basics in a funny and interessting way
http://vimeo.com/7440725.
For animation itself the book “the animator’s survival kit” form richard williams is a very important book. doesnt matter if you animate 2D or 3D charakter or objects. this book goes from the basics to the high art of animation.

Thanks for that one! Really enjoyed watching it :)

hi :slight_smile: