StockFootage time review

Cheers dude!

Hey Mark, I agree with the guys here, and I will try to explain why.

I almost finished a project for my client and during the work I used a few main stock-marketplaces, and sorry but videohive was worst place of them. More coolest footage are located on other markets, also other markets have more user-friendly search. I do not mean the search terms, I mean the process itself. Thus, if I want to get cool shots, at first I will go to other markets. The only plus - is the price. Here is my view as a buyer.

Yes, probably, many authors do not upload here cool footage, because here are small prices, but Iā€™m sure, the huge problem also in the process of uploading and reviewing. For example, I have an approved AE project, where Iā€™ve used footage of the space and Iā€™ve decided to upload these footage separately to the Stock Footage section. Guess what I got? There was Hard Reject. Iā€™ve uploaded it again and pointed out that the footage are already on Videohive just in the After Effects section, and only then I got an approve. Since then I not uploaded any footage on Videohive. Now here is my view as an author of footage.

Mark, please understand me correctly - I love Videohive, Iā€™m incredibly grateful to you and appreciate that one day you decided to start this market. But Videohive great place only for After Effects projects (and Apple Motion). Yes, the last time a lot of too similar templates, but anyway, itā€™s one of the best marketplace in the quality-price ratio. But for stock footageā€¦

Thus, I agree with the guys that wrote here. And I hope you and your team will change this situation for the better way.

Well, I first wanted to finish the project for my client, and then make a big topic in the forum, but since I already write this message today, I want to ask - Mark, can we expect in the near future changes of the license conditions on Videohive? I mean the same changes that have been on Audiojungle.

8 Likes

+1 i agree with other guys

5 Likes

44 days?))))
V - Victory

I uploaded 20 videos for this halloween on August 3th then the stockfootage time review was 30 days, on september 15th I realized that the stockfootage time rewiew was 40 days then started to look for an answer. In this forum read that videohive was working to improve this area 35 days later the stockfootage time review is 44 days. The consecuences are:

• mostly of my halloween videos (15) are still waiting
  • the 5 videos that videohive have reviewed were rejected (maybe for new quality standard reasons, I donĀ“t know, I have a very similar videos in my portfolio they work very good)
  • the halloween season (our specialty) ruined
  • we start to upload this videos in others videostock webs
2 Likes

ā€˜Overnight!ā€™. Listen man, you talk just to contradict me, however, let me enlight your mind 'cause you ask for it! First, weā€™re talking about stock footage here, donā€™t forget that and donā€™t throw me all the markets . Stock footage needs diversity because I am very sure that most buyers want diversity for their project. This is one big reason why new items are selling ! If you bring more diversity on the market fast,then you will increase your sales absolutely, because this is a rule of a successful business( look at all the big and famous firms which are selling cars, phones, clothes and everything). Second point, itā€™s absolutely logical that if you bring items fast on the market you will sell them more fast , itā€™s all about time. If I have from tomorrow 500 videos not 79 , I will logically increase my financial income because I have more items for selling and more diversity also, so if my income will increase, then envatoā€™s income will increase.If I have after 3 months 500 videos, then in those 3 months I will clearly lose money like envato will lose also. I understand youā€™re one from their staff and you defend them but Iā€™m sorry to annunce you that I ā€˜donā€™t buy itā€™. They have problems, and they have to resolve them very quickly or theyā€™ll lose contributors. They are already loosing them.

2 Likes

Will it? My point is, are people going to buy more items if there are more itemsā€¦ or will they just buy different items? If you need one shirt, and youā€™re going to buy a shirt from the shopā€¦ if they have a massive range of great shirts, are you automatically going to buy two or three shirts if you only need one? Surely if there are a bunch of new great items then people will just buy the new great itemsā€¦ but at the expense of the old items?

Iā€™m not disagreeing that faster review times would be preferable, but I just feel that your reasoning for why they should be faster might not be all that accurate.

Yes, it will ! As you said: ā€œSurely if there are a bunch of new great items then people will just buy the new great itemsā€ and if this is happening faster then people will buy them faster and envatoā€™s income will increase faster. If I need a shirt and they have a massive range of great shirts, I would buy all of them if I could or at least many , not just oneā€¦ If the store has the same shirts all the time , the store will lose me as a client and many others. Because, most of the clients like me as well, wants new stuff and I repeat: diversity and the fact you bring always something new on the market makes every kind of business to grow. And about the price, envato has the same prices for all the items new or old so, I donā€™t get the point. Please man , donā€™t contradict me just for the sake of contradiction.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not contradicting you for the sake of contradiction, Iā€™m just contradicting you because I think youā€™re wrong! Obviously thereā€™s the possibility that you could be right, but I really donā€™t think you are!

Ok, maybe the shirt analogy wasnā€™t the best one to go for. How about a Wordpress theme for your new blog or business. Youā€™re not going to buy two are you? Youā€™ll just buy one. If thereā€™s a new item on the site then you might go for that one. If there isnā€™t then youā€™ll just go for an existing itemā€¦ itā€™s not like thereā€™s a real lack of choice in any of the categories or any of the marketplaces.

Or a mobile phone. You wouldnā€™t buy two, youā€™d just buy one, so if they were the same price it would make no difference to Apple whether you got an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 7. Yes, they need to bring out the 8 and the 9 and the 10 to keep current, but with hundreds if not thousands of items being released daily, thatā€™s not going to be a problem here.

You could say that people sometimes specifically hold out buying a new phone to get the next modelā€¦ but nobody knows what new items are going to be available on Envato from one week to the next. If you need something, which is usually the case here (client work, launching a site, making something that is time sensitive) then youā€™re just going to buy it now. Itā€™s not like there are trailers and marketing campaigns for upcoming items so you know whatā€™s coming up and can wait.

Thereā€™s another site out there that publishes their stats and in one year they increased the amount of content on the site by 69% and their revenue by 21%. Thereā€™s only one fact that you can draw from that informationā€¦ that a 69% increase in content does not result in a comparable increase in sales. In fact, it may not account for any increase in sales. Without enough information to go on, itā€™s possible (although slightly unlikely) that none of their income came from the additional 69%ā€¦ just that their customer base grew by 21%.

I still canā€™t figure out what youā€™re basing this on! For it to make sense, it sounds like youā€™re insinuating that people are visiting Envato, not finding anything that is vaguely suitable, and deciding to wait for an item that may or may not exist, to be approved and live on the site. At that point, they will then buy the item? So by speeding up the review process, that waiting time will be reduced and Envato will get their money faster.

Surely that relies on the item the person needs being in the queue and waiting for approval. Surely if the item isnā€™t on the site after ten years, then the odds of it happening to be in the review queue currently, are pretty slim?

Thatā€™s the way I see it anyway.

I just leave it here:
Fotolia - 1-2 day, 95% approve
Videoblocks until 6 day, 99% approve
Shutterstock until 6 days, 90% approve
Pond5 1-3week, 90% approve
Dissolve - 1 month, 100% approve
VideoHive about 50days, 15% approve

and what business we talking about?
I have exclusive on VideoHiveā€¦ and what I need to do? I donā€™t want to shoot just for Hive, waiting for 2 month for 80% reject! Or Envato needs for motion graphic only?

But a month passed, and the Envato did not do anything. This is just very frustrating and shows the real indifference to contributors

7 Likes

and about rejectionā€¦
there is a classical case: you submit footage for Hive and it rejected, you submit this footage for Pond5 or Shutter and got the sellā€¦
This says only poor StockFootage curators team. Maybe for motion graphic they are gods, but for video are not

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to read all your huge nuvel story because I donā€™t have time and Iā€™m not in the mood . I have my opinion and you have yours. Goodbye!

1 Like

An excellent idea. We can continue when you do have time and are in the mood, I shall look forward to it. Farewell for now.

And what about poberailo message with stats? What is the reason of so low acceptance rate? VH accept only outstanding footage? No, itā€™s not true. Why the curators reject really good clips? What education do they have? Why the VH is the only stock with such a strange situation and with such questions from the contributors?

4 Likes

My personal thought on this is :

If you look across the board - 2016 Best Sellingā€¦ updated weekly, youā€™ll see that the one and only best selling goods on Envato is Themeforest. The amount of sales it generate is phenomenalā€¦!!!

Letā€™s imagine Envato as shopping mall, you have a department full of cheap affordable priced products (video) that takes up a lot of storage space and you have to sell in a large amount to get $300. Whereas in another department (wordpress) you have high priced products, take up less storage space and only have to sell maybe 10 items or less just to get the same amount of money and this department is selling like hot cake!!! Each department have 5 staffs to maintain the work flow, now ask yourself would it be worth the money to increase staff in the video section?

I too feels the pain from the slow reviewing time but when looking at from Envatoā€™s perspective, I doubt if theyā€™re gonna hire more staff just to approve contents faster. On the other hand, if WP got lagged behind in approval Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™ll double the reviewer faster than you can say WTFā€¦

1 Like

wordpress and video is almost different things! It must be a large variety of customer.
and for wordpress Envato is the one for sell, but for video one of 10+ stocks.

2 Likes

Yeah so basically the review queue will be longer and longer if they donā€™t do anything. Itā€™s already 50 f*****g days. So in about 2 months, what is it gonna be? 70 days? So I can upload something now and ā€œhopefullyā€ get it approved by January. This is silly. Maybe if the price were higher they would make more money, come on $8 ā€¦ seriously?? I do only timelapse videos and between shooting and post-production itā€™s a least 4 or 5 hours per timelapses, so selling it $8 is so wrong on so many levels. Even the multi use licenses are so cheap.

This is the dream we got here, ā€œPlease wait 50 days so we MIGHT approved your video, probably not, so we can sell it $8.ā€ Haha I am done with this.

3 Likes

we know if VH rises price for 49$ itā€™ll dies for month, if will be 79$ - for weekā€¦

!!!

3 Likes

Customers comes here for good quality video for cheap / we (author) sell here because of volume. Iā€™ve tried others and get maybe 1-2 sales / month if Iā€™m lucky. Its tough life here but at least I do get sales almost every day 1-2 at leastā€¦