Still confused: license question for ongoing podcast use

So it sounds like if I purchase a track from AudioJungle using the regular music license, I can use it for the same podcast over and over as a theme or logo, regardless of how many episodes it’s used for, as long as it is only used for that one ongoing podcast series.

Is that correct?

Kind of. You can use it in a maximum of 52 episodes, or one year (whichever is shorter), as long as it’s part of a connected series. So a weekly podcast on dogs would require one license, and if you have another podcast on farming, you’d need another license.

The podcast needs to be online and free though, for a regular license. If people are paying to listen, or it’s broadcasted over the radio or on TV, then you’d need a different license.

3 Likes

Got it. Thanks so much for the reply!

I have a follow up to this question (ok, actually two questions) regarding using a jingle for a podcast.

Question 1:
Let’s say you use one jingle under a regular license that is online and free 52 times over the course of one year. After the one year is up, does the start of the new year renew the license to be used, or would you need an entirely new license?

Question 2:
What license would be required for an online and free podcast that can be used more than 52 times and for longer than a year?

Forgive my newbie questions. Thank you!

1 Like

I have an similar problem. I purchased two licenses for podcasting and now I like to use spotify as destination for my free podcast.
Spotify says that the music is not “podsafe”, so my podcast will not be listed on spotify.
What has to be done that it is podsafe?

2nd Question: So now after publishing 45 episodes i reach the magic 52. Is it possible to upgrade to the next license with “Up to 1 million audience size”?

yours
Michael

The audience size, and the number of times you can use the audio in a series, are unrelated. You’ll only need a 1m+ license if your audience increases to over 1m. You’ll need another license of the same type if your audience stays the same but you need to use it over 52 times.

Actually there is no audience limits for podcasting. A standard license is always fine.

@Mib4Mio, is the music you used PRO registered? I wonder what Spotify means by the music not being podsafe. Envato used to advertize (maybe still does) their music as being podsafe. I can’t think of anything, other than the music being registered with a PRO, that could have changed this status. In any case, this is a very interesting question, the answer to which, may have some repercussion for us authors.

As for your second question, if you have more than 52 episodes you need to get a new Standard license for the additional episodes.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers.
This article is linked as information about podsafe:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podsafe

I asked the libsyn (Podcast hosting) support too. Maybe they have the answer :slight_smile:

From the Wikipedia information, music licensed from AJ is indeed podsafe, as Envato used to explicitly sate it. This is why I don’t understand why Spotify says it’s not.

If you do get an answer or additional information, it’d be great if you could share it here, so that we all learn something.

Also regarding my prior answer about Standard license, it’s true if the podcasting is being streamed. @SpaceStockFootage was actually right if the podcast is being downloaded and thus considered a “reproduction”.

Here is the very simple answer of the Libsyn support:

"Hello Michael,

As you bought the license, you should be ok. This is more about playing Taylor Swift.

As long as you own the license to play the music in your podcast, you’re fine.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions
Best Regards,

Dave Jackson
Support
Liberated Syndication"

:roll_eyes: