Software for music

Hi everyone! Can you tell me please, which software do u use for making music for audiojungle? Which software is the best for you?

1 Like

Hi!

Have a look here:

Despite what your platform , Mac OS or windows .
I have Mac OS and I use Logic Pro X . & this is best for me )
What I heard in windows this is cubase .

2 Likes

Hi, I use Cubase Pro 8.5 as my main software , and I use many different plugins for mixing and mastering… (Slate Digital, Waves, Plugin Alliance, Native Instruments, Valhalla DSP, Melda, Soundtoys and others… ) :wink:

For beginners starting out, that makes for a tough decision, doesn’t it?
So to help you guys with the all-too-common problem. For today’s post I’ve made an in-depth guide covering the DAW selection. But before we get to it, let me first answer the one question you’re all probably wondering.

- Freeware versus Paid

1. Are there freeware Digital Audio Workstation’s (DAW) out there? Yep.
  2. Should you use them? No.
    But if you can’t take my word for it, try one out for yourself. Personally, I recommend checking out Audacity, as it’s the most popular free DAW in the galaxy.

- But let’s move further
Poll authors to ask them which DAW they prefer… and you’ll hear a pretty wide range of opinions and in most case it will provoke ‘holywar’. So the main choice is up to you (ALAWAAAYS!!!) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1. Presonus Studio One 3
Long known in the audio industry for making quality hardware at affordable prices… (sometime, it’s true :slight_smile: ) So with the help of several formal developers from Steinberg Cubase. Presonus released the first version of Studio One back in 2009. Since then, it has quickly risen to become a serious competitor of other DAW’s.
Bedroom producers find this DAW particularly appealing, because Studio One Artist, is included free any with their interfaces.

2. Cakewalk SONAR
Cakewalk Sonar has ranked among the top DAW’s for years now & is definitely worthy of mention. But here’s why I don’t care for it:

• These days, virtually every good DAW is cross-compatible on both Windows and Mac;
  • Yet for some reason, Sonar is a Windows only program.
  • PC lovers might not care, yet no one can argue that a HUGE percentage of musicians are Mac users.

And if you EVER plan to collaborate with any of them…Sonar is probably NOT your best option.

BUT:
The X3 and Studio versions are insanely affordable. Sonar uses serial numbers to unlock their software, rather than the complicated USB dongles required by most DAW’s.

3. FL Studio
Or also known as Fruity Loops. A top choice for Hip-Hop, EDM musicians and D-D-D-ee-jays.
It’s a big hit with ‘in-the-box’ producers due to its:

• spreadsheet-like Playlist;
  • flexible Piano roll;
  • extensive automation capabilities;

4. Propellerhead Reason
Much more than just your average DAW. Propellerhead Reason offers one HUGE feature that the others don’t. Reason functions as a suite of virtual instruments than can be used combination with other DAW’s.
With Reason, you can easily collaborate with producers working on virtually any platform.
For those who prefer the look and feel of REAL analog gear. Its visual interface mimics the design of an actual studio rack, even allowing rear access for cable patching.

5. Ableton Live
Live in the fact was originally designed as an instrument for live performances. And while it has since evolved into a complete recording package. Seamless live performing is still one of its primary goals.
This fact is clearly demonstrated, first, with a visual interface that fits entirely on a single laptop screen.
And second, by the MANY 3rd party hardware controllers designed specifically for the software.

6. Steinberg Cubase
The OTHER “old-timer” on this list. The original version of Cubase was released by Steinberg back in 1989, which at the time, was MIDI only. Not long afterward in 1992, they released TWO major advancements to the software. Adding BOTH support for audio, and Windows compatibility.
From that point forward, they continued to refine the technology, contributing several major advancements to the music industry along the way.
Their greatest claim to fame was their introduction of VST plugins in 1996, and VST instruments in 1999, both of which became industry standards for many years after.
And even today, Cubase has managed to somehow remain just as relevant as they have been for the past several decades.

7. Cockos Reaper
The developers from Cockos Incorporated began the process of building Reaper (Rapid Environment for Audio Prototyping and Efficient Recording).
With a unique bootstrapping business model that quickly positioned them as the top “alternative” to the mainstream DAW’s.
With no advertising budget, Reaper was able to build its popularity almost entirely through word-of-mouth from enthusiastic users who loved in the product.
The first big selling point of Reaper is frequent its extremely frequent update releases, which added improvements based on the feedback of users.
The second selling point is its price structure. As of now, there is only one version of Reaper, which can be downloaded for free, and offers full unrestricted use with no time limit.
Their only request, is that after 30 days of using their software…you purchase either a $60 discounted license for private use, or a $225 commercial license if your business is making money.
And yes…I said “request“. Their entire business model is based on the honor system of their customers. Yet somehow, Reaper is still far cheaper than virtually any other DAW on this list.

8. Apple Logic Pro X
Back in 2002, a small company known as Emagic built the first version of Logic. Which must have looked promising to Apple (bitten apple) :slight_smile: . Because they bought it soon afterward.
And it turned out to be a great investment, because since then Logic has grown to become one of the top DAW’s in the world. No surprise, it is the only DAW on this list NOT compatible with Windows.
And while PC users might complain, Mac users can rejoice. And here’s why:
By keeping it a “Mac only” platform, Logic users are assured that virtually any audio interface compatible with Mac OSX will work with Logic as well. And since these days Macs or so damn popular with musicians.
Audio interface makers know that OSX compatibility is a MUST. Ultimately this means a TON of interface options for the end users.
For the latest version of Logic Pro X, you need to visit the App Store and purchase the digital download.
Up last on the list, the king of all DAW’s…

9. Avid Pro Tools
In this day and age, Pro Tools has practically become a household name.
Because for many years now:

• It has been the industry standard in music recording.
  • Everyone uses it…in pro studios, and home studios alike.
  • And that alone, is a strong argument why you might want to use it as well.
    Be aware though, that Pro Tools also has more haters than any of the DAW’s on this list (and some of them may even have valid points).
    But all this really means is that no DAW is perfect, and each one has both its stronger and weaker points.
    So is Pro Tools right for everyone? Of course not. But if you’re a complete beginner, and you really have no idea what to start with, I’d strongly recommend it as a good default option.
    Currently, there are 3 versions of Pro Tools available:
    Pro Tools First – the beginner version, which is totally free, and can be downloaded here.
    Pro Tools 12 – the intermediate version, which comes included with either the Pro Tools Duet, Quartet, and Eleven Rack interfaces, and is also sold separately for use with 3rd-party interfaces.
    Pro Tools HD 12 – the professional version, which comes included as part of an HD Core System.
    I recommend starting with Pro Tools 12 if you can afford it. And if not, use Pro Tools First instead.

P.S. Have a good luck in your beginnings! :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I use Reaper, as Georgio described above, and think it’s great

2 Likes

I use the Logic Pro X and it’s a best one for me. :slight_smile:

Thank you for answers! :slight_smile:

I use Presonus Studio One 3 Excellent DAW!

2 Likes

Hey! I use Studio One 3, its a great DAW. The best thing about this one compared to other DAW’s is the workflow, it’s very fast and time efficient. For me, when i go to make a track, I want to get going right away with no nonsense, thats what Studio One is great for :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to load milions of plugins with low cpu get Reaper!

2 Likes

It is not true :wink: http://www.cakewalk.com/June-2016#SONAR4Mac

1 Like

Try LMMS - is free https://lmms.io/ . You can add vst to increase the quality

But You should listen @GeorgioRoss advice

2 Likes

@MaxKoMusic Maybe i’m not in humor right now, but what in my reply was not true?

P.S. Don’t make me free PR campaign ! :slight_smile: I’m not Trump!

P.P.S. @sodasi_web thank you buddy :wink:

Honestly, I think most people will just use whatever DAW they started with. For me it’s Sonar, although I do think the UI is pretty good, especially compared to some of the Apple DAWS. If I were just starting out, I would lean towards a DAW that supports VST. Having programmed and used the various plugin formats, I can say it’s by far the easiest to develop for, which is why you see an overwhelming amount of VST plugins as compared to AU or AAX, and that includes plenty of free, perfectly functional plugins. As an individual composer or producer, I think you want to try and take advantage whenever you can, and unless you plan on working in the industry, or with other producers, I would tend to shy away from something like Protools - a recognizable name or brand does not necessarily equal a better product, IMO. Great DAW for recording, but a bedroom producer, especially someone trying to pump out many tracks quickly, is going to necessarily rely a lot on virtual instruments, sample libraries, and plugins.

All the DAWS basically function the same way - they all process floating or double floating point numbers in an array, accept midi and audio input/output, allow you to edit multiple tracks, process midi data, ect - it really just comes down to what user interface you like, and again, the supported plugin format(s).

As far as discussing individual plugins, that’s a whole different huge topic.

1 Like

I’d recommend Studio One 3. :slight_smile: But actually any of them will be good as long as you know how to use it. Good luck!

2 Likes

Nowadays I use Logic Pro X, but I used to use Cubase 8

1 Like

how many people have many opinions. you try to open a Pandora’s box. :sunglasses: Carefully … Just do need to try. how to tame and use that. not in the programs and in the case of direct hands of the user.

2 Likes

Ableton 4ever :slight_smile:

1 Like