Should I Buy A Ukulele?

Would definitely recommend learning guitar first, learn your strings and chords and you’ll then find you already know how to play the uke!

I worked with someone once who had a Kinks style ‘Flying-V’ ukulele!

I’m playing an Ibanez UEW20 on my tracks. It’s a nice Uke. Mostly I record with a microphone because the coin cells for the electric are empty. :slight_smile: Though it’s nice to mix the line and mic signal.

Here is a video of the Uke I found (it’s not me):

DoOrDieAudio said

I worked with someone once who had a Kinks style ‘Flying-V’ ukulele!

That thing is so cool!

||+1128660|UJ-pro said-|| I'm playing an Ibanez UEW20 on my tracks. It's a nice Uke. Mostly I record with a microphone because the coin cells for the electric are empty. :) Though it's nice to mix the line and mic signal.

Wow! I really like that also. So, do you notice a big difference in sound quality in electric models versus pure acoustic? I could almost imagine a sense of overkill in amplifying the Uke.

Am I wrong?

MusicBoxStudios said
||+1128660|UJ-pro said-|| I'm playing an Ibanez UEW20 on my tracks. It's a nice Uke. Mostly I record with a microphone because the coin cells for the electric are empty. :) Though it's nice to mix the line and mic signal.

Wow! I really like that also. So, do you notice a big difference in sound quality in electric models versus pure acoustic? I could almost imagine a sense of overkill in amplifying the Uke.

Am I wrong?

IMO when it comes to guitars, ukes, and pretty much any string instrument acoustic-electrics are more for live playing and convenience, as it’s a MUCH different sound than just micing a straight acoustic instrument-unless that’s the sound you are going for.

MusicBoxStudios said

Am I wrong?

The pick-up signal sounds not so direct and a bit more electronic. When I use my Rode mic it sounds more close and warm.

Before I try to explain the difference just listen to my tracks.

‘Harpulele’ and ‘Corporate Latin Ukulele’ are recorded with the line signal.

‘Happy Corporate Ukulele & Whistle’ and ‘Whistling Of Happiness’ are recorded with mic.

Sometimes it’s mixed with an acoustic guitar but you will here the difference anyway.
Next time I’ll buy new coin cells for the electronic and mix both signals. That’s more flexible and the best way to get a full ranged sound. Better to take out frequences than to not have them at all. :slight_smile:

I bought the UEW20 online for my father right before I became a AJ author. The customer ratings were excellent. I didn’t realise how important this instrument will be here. So the Uke is with me since than.
That means that I don’t know the difference to other pure acoustic Ukuleles.
The last time I hold an acoustic Uke in my hands is 44 years ago. :smiley:

if you get an electric you should get an acoustic with a pickup. buying an electric only will mean you always have to plug in to play and I find that to be very inconvenient.

LeatherwingStudios said

if you get an electric you should get an acoustic with a pickup. buying an electric only will mean you always have to plug in to play and I find that to be very inconvenient.

I don’t really think that the electronic will kill the sound. I mean, when you would buy this Uke without pickup and preamp you wouldn’t really get the difference with this little instrument. I can’t imagine that. So this is only a plus and nice to have when you’ll play it live.

Personally, I’d say that if it is ultimately the guitar you are most interested in, I’d get stuck straight into learning that, and this will also give you the skills to be able to play the ukulele well (it is easy to transfer your knowledge of the guitar to the ukulele, you will have good strumming and fingering techniques in place, and chord shapes will be familiar to you, as shapes that are played on the top four strings of a guitar).

That said, I don’t really think it matters too much, the ukulele is a lovely, fun, instrument to play, and if you start off on that, you will learn techniques which will also make sense if you move on to learn guitar. I’m sure you could be strumming a few chords on the uke within a week, but I’d suggest to learn beyond the three or four basic ones that many people settle on :slight_smile: .

AndySlatter said

Personally, I’d say that if it is ultimately the guitar you are most interested in, I’d get stuck straight into learning that, and this will also give you the skills to be able to play the ukulele well (it is easy to transfer your knowledge of the guitar to the ukulele, you will have good strumming and fingering techniques in place, and chord shapes will be familiar to you, as shapes that are played on the top four strings of a guitar).

That said, I don’t really think it matters too much, the ukulele is a lovely, fun, instrument to play, and if you start off on that, you will learn techniques which will also make sense if you move on to learn guitar. I’m sure you could be strumming a few chords on the uke within a week, but I’d suggest to learn beyond the three or four basic ones that many people settle on :slight_smile: .

+1

Wise words Andy :slight_smile:

||+1128714|UJ-pro said-||
LeatherwingStudios said

I don’t really think that the electronic will kill the sound. I mean, when you would buy this Uke without pickup and preamp you wouldn’t really get the difference with this little instrument. I can’t imagine that. So this is only a plus and nice to have when you’ll play it live.

I was referring to the electric only that was posted a page or two back. with an electric only you get little or no sound unless you are connected. with an acoustic that has a built-in pickup you have the best of both worlds.