"Set Feature Image" with URL (Wordpress)

I’m trying to find a way to set a featured image by URL and not Upload it to the server, do you guys know a way to do this? a plugin or so? i know thats bets to have the image on the server because loads fast and there is not need the image gets broken but in my case i need to save space, so i need to use featured image with URL… Please help! :wink:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/function-to-set-the-featured-imagethumbnail

That should help.

Thanks man i will have a look at it, i was thinking smth more simple, i guess there must be a plugin if not someone should do it and publish it here, i think is usefull! :wink:

I don’t think there’s a plugin for it, mainly because it is a slightly strange request. Most WP sites that use the featured image (which is the same image as the thumbnail) use the built-in media uploader to set the image.

Besides, the ‘featured image’ functionality already allows you to set it from a URL?

If you go to post>add new and then click on the ‘featured image’ link, you can then select the ‘From URL’ tab at the top of the popover window…

iamfriendly said

I don’t think there’s a plugin for it, mainly because it is a slightly strange request. Most WP sites that use the featured image (which is the same image as the thumbnail) use the built-in media uploader to set the image.

Besides, the ‘featured image’ functionality already allows you to set it from a URL?

If you go to post>add new and then click on the ‘featured image’ link, you can then select the ‘From URL’ tab at the top of the popover window…

HEY THANKS, i know that it is as an option to place it from URL but you cannot set it as featured image you only can insert it to the post, i use featured image for the thumbnail of the post… and i dont want to upload so many pictures on my server mainly because it is a site for inspiration and most of the stuff are founded on the internet, each post is a single image with lightbox so i dont want to upload those all in my server just for the thumbnail, if you know waht i mean… anyways i will see if i can find a way, im sure there is…

Thanks again!

To bring back to life an old thread!

I’ve developed this plugin: http://epicplugins.com/external-url-link-to-featured-images/

which should do what you need.

Had put this functionality in my Auto Post Thumbnail plugin but removed it because it caused more problems than solving it. Instead now I get the image from the remote server locally and then set it as featured image. Not the same but seamless for the end user.

sanisoft, can you let me know how you do it step-by-step. sorry i’m quite new in WP. i can’t upload too many pics on server, so i wanted to use photobucket.com as source of images. as is it any way to use remote image as featured image in WP? i will be very thankful for your help.