Sennheiser Hd 598 vs AKG K240 Studio for mixing?

If you are going to do your mixes on headphones you will need a pair of open back headphones. Don’t get the closed ones. ATH Mx are good but they are closed and therefore not suitable for mixing. I your price range everything is the same…more or less. Save up and buy hd600 or AKG Q701. Both are great!

+1 for the AKG K240 Studio - ive been using these for mixing for years and they are ace - they are CRYSTAL clear (I was a Sennheiser/AKG/Beyerdynamic dealer for many years so ive tried them all) all but the top-end Sennheisers just didn’t sound right to me

Anyone used the Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla? (about £900) you probably need the matching pre-amp (over £1000) - I used to use them at lunchtimes in the demo room as I could never afford that but they are extremely clear. I also rate the Beyerdynamic DT range though they are very nice

I own beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250ohm for some time now and I cant’s say I could do mixing using them (without studio monitors), they tell quite a different story than my monitor speakers. But I think they are great for spotting the before-unseen troubles and for changing the perspective in the mixing process.

I use Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 ohm version) and it’s more useful than 250 ohm version and compatible more than enough with all audio interfaces.

Earlier i used AKG 271 MKII until they began to be done in China. I’ve got the chinese version and quality has considerably worsened.

That is very interesting, I really hope AKG arn’t cheaping out on anything in their current models or ill be switching to whichever of the Beyer DT range I can afford when my K240s break

Sorry for being a bit off topic. Are these ATH M50x the Band is using?

Thanks!

As for me, AKG K240 Studio is the best headphones for mixing. They have an even (flat) frequency response. You can wear them all day without a headache. And they are not expensive.

Yep :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks mate! I have to try them. I’m still using my very old Sennheiser HD 250 linear II and I’m VERY happy with it. But I’d like to have a second headphone.

1 Like

I use AKG 702’s and we are very happy together.

Don’t use headphones. They give you a false stereo image (no leaking from one channel into the other) and also you will end up deaf.
Do you think you are mixing at a healthy volume? Do the following test. Listen to music in a laptop for a couple of hours, like mixing. Then stop, and be in silence for a while through dinner. Once in bed, listen to the song again with the volume as it was when you finished.

Heard about tinnitus? Not nice. Read about it, it will be good for your future.

1 Like

Thanks for your hint though I don’t see any problem with using headphones as it is a must in a studio when you’re recording acoustical instruments or vocals. I’m sure that most of us are using speakers mainly and just have a double check with their headphones. Anyway you always have to be careful with the volume, especially in a long term, no matter if you’re using speakers or headphones.

I’m more surprised about the loud music when I enter my car in the morning :grin::sunglasses:

I have tinnitus already. it sucks big time, when I first got it I literally just wanted to shoot myself, but my kids is what kept me going, no joke. But now I am used to it, more or less. The pressure from headphones makes my tinnitus worse.

1 Like

For sure, used for a short period of time it’s unavoidable when overdubbing. But I was talking more about mixing, prolongued periods. With speakers at least you can control easily a fix volume. With headphones is more dangerous IMHO.

I feel your pain. It’s the elephant in the room. It should be warned a lot more in the industry for newcomers, or just in general, to anybody, just like they warn in cigarettes about cancer. I just can’t help but to tell little teenagers on public transport when I see they using them at overwhelming volumes. With all the background noise of a city, you need to have them really loud to actually hear anything. As I said, you only realize how loud they are until you play them after a period of silence in a quiet environment.