Secrets of high-quality sound! Plug-ins and Reverb you used!

Hey @keso yup fabfilter L is my fav for limiter right now, easy to use and lot’s of good presets, another good stuff is C2 , ProMB and pro Q2. :slight_smile:

For Reverb Valhalla Room and Shimmer is one of the best I think, Less CPU Cap and Easy to use.

Another vote for Recording Revolution.

It’s true plugins don’t make all the difference - HOWEVER - a few are worth the trouble!

I love, but actually find that I also need Altiverb as a convolution verb. Good IRs and Altiverb leads to excellent sounds. For orchestral halls it’s a must. @soundgridmedia I’ve heard Valhalla Room is one of the best algorithmic verbs. I’d like to try it out.

I’m also a huge fan of Cytomic’s The Glue. This is an absolutely KILLER compressor that is cheaper than all the other stuff out there modeled after hardware compressors and probably just as good if not better. It works beautifully and transparently. Still have a lot to do with this one.

Other than that I stick to mostly stock FX plugins and careful manual automation!

thanks @soundgridmedia, I’m gonna try this things out :smile:

Valhalla reverb is doing some amazing things right now, I’m a big fan.

You can get away with most stock daw plugs (and I use a bunch of them in logic), depending on the style you’re doing, but the hq ones just sound…better. Slate and uad are my favs as they just do things the stock ones can’t.

2 Likes

For Rock and heavy pieces !
Drum layers - c6 sidechain waves
guitars(real recorded) - sometimes ez mix sometimes waves and pro tools 11 eq!
Reverbs - true verb mani M reverb and lexicon
H compressor
bass guitar - ez mix classic california 15
for delays only waves H delay!
then you play in your mix with eqs until you have a solid mix !

1 Like

Yup altiverb is way better and more expensive too but it designed for high end PC i suppose too demanding for a single plugins,
IR-1 what i’m using right now and sometimes i’m using LAConvolver (Free) but after i discover Valhalla even it’s not a convolution reverb i’m still using it in every composition it does not have a fancy UI and look like a toy but i like it :smiley:

I’m never use Cytomic’s The Glue , from video demo it’s sounds great.

@Keso Your welcome :smiley:

1 Like

secret of high quality sound is big experience ))
plugins - any, freeware or host plugs. slate vmr is very good.
reverb - valhalla dsp stuff is cheap and very good.

3 Likes

Thanks, friends! Valhalla reverb really cool! =)

Anyone using a maximizer like the Sonnox Oxford Inflator? I’ve heard very good things about it and seems to help a lot when the mix volume is lower than the tracks on the marketplaces. I’d love to hear about it!

Otherwise, I’ve bought a plugin for the first time yesterday : Waves Renaissance Bass. I struggled to get clean deep punch and I must say this one is pretty amazing. I’ve applied it on some mixes I’ve not submitted yet, very satisfied with the result!

Somewhat related and very useful to me has been using an impulse response of the Auratone speaker loaded into my reverb. I don’t think all reverbs have this option but I am using Reverence on Cubase to do this. It is as useful to me as mixing is in mono from time to time and is good for getting levels correct. Obviously not as good as having an Auratone but gives another perspective for mixing.
I tried to load to IR file with this post but only allows jpegs etc. Try searching for Auratone_48kHz

For any kinds of music I prefer to use ArtsAcoustic reverb. It has a lot of presets and it’s easy to tune.

i would recommend the API 2500 from waves, also the trans-x
and yeah, the experience is a big plus, best!

TC Electronic Plugin - M30 Reverb & M40 Studio Reverb (free) Excellent sound. Software simulation built into my DAW TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6. Good quality.

Whatzup !
Happy New Year!
Glad you posted this. I was thinking of jumping from Apogee to UAD’s, Universal Audio Apollo 8 Thunderbolt Audio Interface with Quad Processing interphase. UAD’s analog sound, is it really that good ??
Thanks Buddy!

Hey man, happy new year to you, too! Here’s my two cents. I LOVE the Apollo. The DA converters sound identical to my apogee. However, I have held on to my old apogee AD8000 because I still think the AD converters sound slightly better, a little warmer and rounder. Now, I do mean SLIGHTLY. We are not talking a huge difference. If I had to choose one unit it would definitely be the Apollo, no question. I also own an Apollo twin that I take on the road which is amazing because the ability to track through the plugs (like neve, 1176, etc) with no latency is incredible. Also, imho they are simply the best (along with the Steven slate stuff) plugins on the market. Their emulations sound way better than the corresponding waves to my ear. Bear in mind, they ain’t cheap, so amassing a lot of them will be pricey. Lastly, the only other portable thing I own is the apogee one iOS, which I just used to cut a ton of vocals on vacation…so if it were me I would hang on to both brands. That probably didn’t help much, did it, hehe? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Valhalla Reverb does good job, I suggest you to try it :wink:

2 Likes