Search engine on Audiojungle is NOT inspiring anymore!

Yes, that IS a boat load of views.Unless the 100 non-unique views are the author checking his own track :laughing: But 135 is still very respectable.

nothing is bad… :slight_smile:

Approved on 9 December 2015

Approved on 25 November 2015

I have lots of tracks like these. Search engine is not inspiring me at least.

Wasn’t it always like that, with the page views? Due to the amount of uploads it is mathematically impossible to always have older tracks within the first several pages in search.

If there would be detailed quick result-narrowing tag-based search - then maybe…

I can say that, sales were not always like this. No page views, no sales. It’s getting harder and harder.

4 Likes

Same here, I don’t know if it has been the changes on the search algorithm within audiojungle or searches in general but I have now probed a big drop in sales.
The only hope I have is that the latest clients were big companies, so that gives me some hope for better days.
I stopped been exclusive and I’m already selling in other places but now I’m sure I made a right decision.

I’m very very very beginner here (I have 1 item for sale), but I don’t like idea of naming most my future tracks Epic Bla bla bla at all. And I think there is one easy solution to the titles case. It’s just my own opinion, so, please, don’t throw tomatoes at me :slight_smile:
So.

1st step: Make only description and tags relevant for search, BUT with one exception - Title will be relevant only for perfect matches. For example, if you are searching for “Japanese summer”, and there are tracks with exactly same title you’ll see them first in the list, then all other with such words in description and tags. And it would be cool to have little tips saying “Exact match”, “Tags match”, “Description match” :grimacing:

2nd step: :smiling_imp: Make a list of all that tasty words epic, upbeat, happy, inspiring, hybrid, cinematic, trailer etc etc and automatically DON’T allow authors to submit their items or edits IF their title consist only from this words and conjunctions, articles or other non-meaningful ones.

3rd step: Make authors rename their older items to match new rules.:smile_cat:

1 Like

Hi BlackW1nd,

this was suggested many times though it’s still a great idea.

And items older than 1 year with 0 sales should be removed to keep track of the jungle.

2 Likes

+1. I had also invented the names for the tracks, and then I realized that the search by tags is not working and just started to call by type “Epic” and “Inspiring”.

+1

Couldn’t agree more. Keyword and description based searches would make it easier both for buyers and authors.

The more I think about it the more I feel that making search engine working entirely on the basis of the tags and description would make most sense (i.e. take the title out of the equation altogether). After all, how much use is it to customers to be able to search for specific track titles when so many of them have the same name? You still have the issue of the appropriate default order and how much ‘newness’ should be factor but it would be much simply to consider the issues without everything always being skewed by the track title.

I would have thought that this would be a very easy change to make technically so why not give it a go and see what happens? it could always be changed back if it gets a bad response from the customers.

Ideally, it would be good to have the ability to search by specific fields (or combinations of fields) like ‘Author name’ and ‘Track title’ but that’s a much more fundamental change on a technical level I suspect.

@PaulGraves you’re totally right but other authors have brought it up repeatedly and to no avail. So there must be other factors, that are to Envato’s benefit, to keep it as it is unfortunately.

1 Like

I guess that it’s the case (and probably reasonable) that Envato will judge the success of the SE algorithm on the basis of what happens to total sales. But I do wonder whether there’s been an assumption that it’s an absolute requirement that customers must be able to search for a specific title that has got in the way experimenting with a different approach. I’d previously taken the need for a title search as read myself, but have come to see it more as a ‘nice to have’ feature. There are very few tracks these days that have a totally unique title, and the older big selling ones that do seem to be safely established on a permanent basis in the top sellers page and are easy to find. Maybe a message to buyers encouraging them to bookmark any tracks they are interested in might be rather more effective (especially given the preview file name problem) :slight_smile:

Wish there was an update from AJ if they plan on doing anything about the search algorithm .

Audiojungle is all about exposure.

Truth is that you can upload as much as you want, If the search engine doesn’t work in your favour, you’re out. I’ve seen great musicians and authors here struggling while copycats got past 1000 sales in one year. Is this survival of the fittest? What makes a successful musician or Audiojungle Author? Talent and Creativity? Can you compare both? I don’t know. What I know tough is that during these changes in the last couple of months I’ve had periods where my older items seem to start to sell again and also periods where only new items got sales. Sadly, the last one seems to be the current situation.

1 Like

I just searched “Classical, Beauty” for a client to do a youtube video project to promote this site:

We listened to 3 tracks against VO and the client bought this one:

I’d have to say that for this session this morning where we recorded a 1:20 VO, searched music, mixed it to VO, etc…all done in 1 hour…The audio Jungle search engine worked. I did not use my own track for the project because my classical piece was not long enough. Perspective changes when you behave as a customer. I was happy to buy one of Miranda’s tracks for my customer’s project. bottom line, Miranda’s track worked…and it worked quickly…search worked…and worked quickly. Here is more irony. when we searched “classical, beauty” as the keywords…my track came up first!..but we used Miranda’s because it worked better. The “music search” process took 7 minutes.

Customers need to make decisions fast and I learned this from this mornings experience. Time is money…they don’t have all day to listen to 40 tracks…we auditioned a few and made a decision. In total we listened to probably 8 bars of 8 tracks …no, no, that’s ok…not that one…ooo…I like that…lets try it against VO…"I like it, let’s use it…click buy, mix in, done ship final mix to client. That is just what happened 30 minutes ago…Track titles should still be lowered (in importance/ weighting) big time…from search…and clients should be required to type in 3 to 5 keywords for the best and most random results.

now…30 minutes later…from a different computer…when I search “beauty, classical” my track nor Miranda’s is nowhere to be found…

6 Likes

No wonder that sales seem so often to come in short bursts and then stop. I’d assumed it was just random buyer behaviours but if the search results order keeps changing it does seem to support the theory that some kind of rotational system is in play.

But who knows really! :slight_smile:

While many Authors here think the rotation theory is horseplay, I actually think it’s possible that such thing exists. A rotation to switch priority between authors once or 3 times a month would motivate Authors to keep uploading.

1 Like

Great story from another point of view. Thank you for sharing it.

A bit more to my “Story”…Today I was a recording studio selling the service of recording and editing VO. After we recorded I said “You know…this video will be quite dull without music” …Client agreed. i said do you need a track mixed in and what do you envision. They first wanted “Classical”…I said OK who? Beethoven? Mozart? Bach…they said lets try Bach…We put a piece on…No one was thrilled with what we heard against VO.

I said “why not consider a more modern day piece…one that will grab the listeners attention…do we really want to hear another &%^$ing piece by Bach?”…So I said to my engineer search “Beauty, Classical”…My clients were not sitting in the studio, but standing and needing a task done! Time is money. We bought the first page presented and did not browse much. again Time is money. So if you don’t show up in search on page 1, you will most likely not be bought!

I would have searched around a bit more, but my client was…well…needing to work fast, mix fast, get on with his day…get the video done and soon uploaded to YOUTUBE. So yes, today was an interesting first hand experience of client behavior as it relates to licensing music for small business projects for YOUTUBE promotion of a business.

Anyway…buy some French watercolors here if you like them:

http://www.labrige.com/gallery

Don’t worry Staff…It’s not my art, nor my business…I encouraged them to sell the digital versions on photodune too. They were interested in that concept. Hallmark offered to buy the entire catalog of digital images 10 years ago, but the artist turned it down!

1 Like