Script with sidebar filter and ajax updates ..

Where can I get a script, which has the filters in the sidebar, sliders etc that automatically updates main content with refined results ?

Not sure what they are called. Holiday, Coupon , Directory sites have them …

I think its called Faceted Navigation / Search Filtering with live update for content.

Lind of like this: http://moz.com/blog/building-faceted-navigation-that-doesnt-suck

Some real fancy ones have sliders, check boxes, etc etc to refine your search

Would it just be a normal “advanced search” shopping cart plugin that posted the search query via Ajax every time something in the form changed? And it would strip out the inner results part of the result to replace the existing on page data. Form would still post as normal if javascript was disabled.

dtbaker said

Would it just be a normal “advanced search” shopping cart plugin that posted the search query via Ajax every time something in the form changed? And it would strip out the inner results part of the result to replace the existing on page data. Form would still post as normal if javascript was disabled.

Can I email you direct with website, and more details Dave ?

I need to poll the DB, which is where I really fall down.

I can show you a srcibble of how i envisage it too.

Nearest ( roughest ) version I can find is:

http://eikes.github.io/facetedsearch/

dtbaker said

Yes, essentially.

If you aren’t using a WordPress or Magento or such, I would guess this type of script are usually custom made. Not two databases are the same (unless WP, etc, thats why i said it) so the ajax calls, and specially the PHP behind it, should be different for each case.

If you are using a WP, what are these ‘options’ you are trying to filter? Tags? Categories? A custom taxonomy?

HI WPA

No not using WP.

Its essentially quite a simple system I am after, just as always the most simplest systems, prove to be the most complex to invoke. Its ok I will keep muddling along :slight_smile: thanks

Yeah I dont think a filter script like this would be too hard to make,. it would just need to be custom.

Just create the available filters on the sidebar adding a ‘GROUP BY’ on your sql query, and then just filter using URL variables (and make PHP read those).

http://yoursite.com/search.php?manufacturer=HP&style=laptop

$query = “SELECT * FROM products WHERE manufacturer = '”.$_GET[‘manufacturer’]."’ AND style = ‘".$_GET[‘style’]."’";

Of course, run some sql injection checks there :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok thankyou. < Last resort emailed my php coder son ( which irritates me ) lol, as I try and muddle along. But yup the above is about as complex as it gets.

Like this but no where near as many filters.

Ours would be location , tags, title, and the ubiquitous sort by asc/desc stuff

Australia said

Are you actually building Stinky Jim’s Smile-Time eCommerce Shoppe? Because that sounds like a place where I would like to do all of my shopping.

blimpage said
Australia said

Are you actually building Stinky Jim’s Smile-Time eCommerce Shoppe? Because that sounds like a place where I would like to do all of my shopping.

Shhhh If the Mods notice I am self promoing I’m a Gonner ! lol