Samsung Vs Sony LED TV

Samsung! of course…

Thanks a lot everyone.After reading the suggestions here.I guess i will go for samsung :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot again

I’ve arrived late(as usual) but I just wanted to put in my 3 cents worth. Ran a satellite/digital tv/tv antenna company before I learned to code and in my experience with hundreds and hundreds of different TV’s is that Samsung was most popular, easy to use, good overall quality, and they last. However, I recently upgraded and got a Samsung LED smart TV, and it’s great i love it. BUT I have to say that the LG & Sony LED TV’s are not bad at all. I went in to buy only a Samsung, and it ended up being between a Samsung, Sony, and LG LED’s.

If I hadn’t had such poor experiences with LG, and Sony TV’s, then I probably would’ve gone for the LG.

Hope you’re enjoying your new Samsung :slight_smile:

Yeah I have a 42" Samsung and the picture is so nice for playing games or watching bluray movies. But go with Sony for the Playstation 3, for sure!

Always trust Samsung, have 3 on my desk + one for TV: Never had any problems

Sony is probably a better brand than Samsung but that does not mean Samsung TV is worse than a Sony TV. It’s more about technology, panels, preferences, viewing conditions, etc. But personally I would suggest any LED with “local dimming” tech which currently really shines in Sony and Sharp TVs. This is the top tier until cheaper OLED comes to the market in a few years.

If you want a cinema-like experience with a very tight budget, get a $1200 projector if you can manage the drawbacks like viewing conditions etc.

Another option is a plasma (Samsung for example) which are very good TVs for their price, but has another set of drawbacks. Just a note, all TVs and their technologies have different drawbacks so it just comes down picking your poison. Pick the one you will be most comfortable with.

+1 to “Sony is a better brand”, but I’d prolly also go with Samsung.

i like both brands of tvs but right on im happy with my sharp 40 inch flat screen tv

Samsung

I own a 42" Samsung, SmartTV + 3D. Is a great TV, full of features and great if you also own other Samsung devices (mobile + tablet for me), as the communication between them is awesome.

But i would say that Sony and Philipps TVs gives a better image quality (at least the ones i saw when purchased), films looks more subtle (don’t know how to say), even less sharp, but more like cinema. Something FullHD on films turns image into kind-of-video experience, and is more obvious on Samsung Leds, maybe because of the brightness/contrast behaviour. I tried to change TV settings, but still i think Sony beats on quality.

This said, i would buy Samsung again, for the features and connectivity.

pezflash said

I own a 42" Samsung, SmartTV + 3D. Is a great TV, full of features and great if you also own other Samsung devices (mobile + tablet for me), as the communication between them is awesome.

But i would say that Sony and Philipps TVs gives a better image quality (at least the ones i saw when purchased), films looks more subtle (don’t know how to say), even less sharp, but more like cinema. Something FullHD on films turns image into kind-of-video experience, and is more obvious on Samsung Leds, maybe because of the brightness/contrast behaviour. I tried to change TV settings, but still i think Sony beats on quality.

This said, i would buy Samsung again, for the features and connectivity.

You probably want to turn off CMR/AMP if you dislike that soap opera effect. Which model do you have?

^ Yeah, i played with the Clear motion rate, even tried to add some blur on movies but i didn’t reach a desired image style (maybe is better to talk about “style” and not quality). Anyway, some friends told me that it takes some time to get used to FullHD (this was my first HD TV), now i think i’m more used but still prefer the old classic “blurry” movie texture. Guess it has to do also with age and romanticism… :slight_smile:

Is like seeing “Casablanca” on FullHD TVs, even when the film is still the old one (not remastered) i prefer not to see Bogart really sharpened… doesn’t match so well with the smoky ambient and his lazy soul :slight_smile:

pezflash said

^ Yeah, i played with the Clear motion rate, even tried to add some blur on movies but i didn’t reach a desired image style (maybe is better to talk about “style” and not quality). Anyway, some friends told me that it takes some time to get used to FullHD (this was my first HD TV), now i think i’m more used but still prefer the old classic “blurry” movie texture. Guess it has to do also with age and romanticism… :slight_smile:

Is like seeing “Casablanca” on FullHD TVs, even when the film is still the old one (not remastered) i prefer not to see Bogart really sharpened… doesn’t match so well with the smoky ambient and his lazy soul :slight_smile:

Knowing which model you have could help. I could then have a look at some settings online. On my TV (Sony), I can adjust backlight, brightness, contrast, sharpness, gamma and white balance separately. Then of course all those motionflows, black correctors and other gimmicks which are not really needed for a smooth cinema picture you are after. I watch TV in the dark so I have my settings low on everything which results in a more natural picture. I prefer more natural picture with just a little bit of “pop” for blu-rays, darker shadows than original and a warm yellowish white - considering the TV I have now of course, if I had an OLED or something, I might like it differently.

Sony is pretty good but in my opinion, you should buy a Samsung… Its cheap and has a lot of features (including 3d :stuck_out_tongue: ). My family bought a samsung LED tv, not 3d but its kinda big :grin:

I have both.

Samsung all the way.

Sony does not read subtitles. Sony does not play video from your computer unless you encode it with some specific parameters. You cannot install custom apps and the list goes on and on.

SONY!

Samsung is much better than Sony.

freshface said

Knowing which model you have could help. (…)

Sorry, missed to answer. UE46D6000

Samsung has best picture quality.

pezflash said
freshface said

Knowing which model you have could help. (…)

Sorry, missed to answer. UE46D6000

Picture mode: Movie
Backlight: 10 (should be changed during day/night as needed)
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 20
Color: 48
Tint: 50/50

Advanced
Black tone: off
Dynamic contrast: off
Shadow detail: +2
Gamma: 1
Color space: Auto
White balance: off or (0,0,0,0,0 and -1 for B bias, if the picture has a too much of a blue tint around whites in darker scenes)
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: off
Motion lighting: off
Led motion plus: off

Picture options:
Color tone: warm 2
Digital noise filter: off
Mpeg noise filter: off
HDMI Black level: low
Film mode: auto 2 (or simply off, or auto 1 for 720/1080i content)
Auto/LED/anything motion plus: off (or Custom with Blur reduction: 10 and Judder reduction: 0)

System
Eco sensor: off

^ Try these. I suggest some familiar 1080p movie, completely dark room and at least 15 minutes watching after dialing in these new settings before playing with them further. Let me know your thoughts if you do to try them.