Rude reviewing

Just want to tell you my latest experience:
I worked hard on a track (like most of us do), asked for suggestions in the forums upfront, and uploaded (several versions and formats).
Got a soft reject saturday with this message:

*Thanks for your submission.

‘Drop and Flow’ isn’t quite ready for AudioJungle. But don’t fret, we’d love to see you resubmit after making the changes outlined by the reviewer below. When you’re ready, you can upload your changes here
Here is the comment from your Envato Quality team reviewer:

The end of this track is too sudden and abrupt, without seamlessly looping back to the beginning. This diminishes commercial utility in professional application settings.

If you can address these issues, by either producing a defined and natural sounding end or by making the track loop seamlessly, use the edit link to attach updated files and we can consider it again.
(in case you want to make a loop: .wav format is best for loops, because .mp3 format is known to not loop properly)
Also: Looks like something went wrong at the very end of the “with effect” version. Mabye there was a rendering/export issue?"

So I adressed these issues. Made a seamless loop and made sure there was no rendering/export issue ! And resubmitted.
Now I get a reject anyway with this message:

Thank you for your submission. We have completed our review of “Drop and Flow” and unfortunately we found it isn’t at the quality standard required to move forward, and you won’t be able to re-submit this item again.
Here is the comment from your Envato Quality team reviewer:

Thank you for resubmitting this track. Unfortunately it was only able to be fully auditioned once you have made all the technical corrections, and after a full team review it was determined that too many aspects of the arrangement and/or production do not meet the general commercial utility standard required to be accepted. For this reason we won’t be able to approve this submission, regrettably."

The track was certainly fully auditioned the first time, because the reviewer said there was maybe an export issue at the end of the last version. So I think this kind of reviewing is simply rude!

Hello @Hummingbird-musicwor. In my experience, I think you have received more time and consideration from reviewers than most do these days. It is less common to get a soft-reject and specific instructions about re-submitting your work. A lot of authors might view that as a luxury, compared to the hard-rejection, which many receive as the first email following their submissions.

Take it in stride and keep working. If this particular track was that close to being accepted, I’m sure you have other tracks that will make the cut. Good luck!

4 Likes

@promosapien, I understand your comment. Had lots of hard rejects as well as approvals. But this is about putting me to work. Me delivering exactly that. And then rejecting it with some other sweeping argument that the piece has supposedly other problems. Whilst the track really was fully reviewed the first time. How can you ever meet requirements when the rules are changed during the process? This is not a Joke and I’m really gutted by this kind of treatment.

Hey there. I understand that it isn’t pleasant to have work rejected. I don’t think your situation is a joke, either. However, the reviewing staff listens to thousands upon thousands of tracks every week. It isn’t a perfect science and subjectivity is involved. No two people see, hear or value a piece of art exactly the same way.

I’ve submitted stuff that I was very happy with, and that I couldn’t wait to add to my AJ portfolio - and had it rejected. It can be disappointing, but at the end of the day, all of us have to rise to a pretty high level in order to make anything in the royalty-free media business. If a rejection or two, or a bad reviewing experience comes along, it’s just part of the process - and it means that there’s more work to be done.

I’d be willing to bet that some pretty talented composers have worked their way through a few rejections, moved past them, and had significant success in spite of those rejections.

Don’t let one bad reviewing experience “gut you.” You believe in yourself, which is why the rejection stings. In all of this, the most important thing is that you believe in yourself and your work. Make more of it, make something even better. You’ll barely remember this review down the road.

Wishing you all the best @Hummingbird-musicwor!

8 Likes