[RESOLVED] Theme installation Fatal error

Greetings everyone, I’d like to start off by saying that I am a noob in every sense of the word so I apologize if I ask any questions that may sound elementary to some of you. I just purchased the Job monster theme from this website and after installing it, I get a fatal error message: Can’t use function return value in write context in…on line 2015. I am now unable to access my wordpress admin page and am not sure how to go about resolving this issue. I appreciate any help with getting this up and running properly.

Thanks

Have you tried to contact the theme author for free support?

I did but haven’t heard anything yet, was just curious if someone on the forum would be able to answer it first lol. I will wait and see what the author says. Thanks for the feedback!

Hi,

to understand your problem we have to enter on your site with the credentials to access to the administration panel. My advice is to wait the answer from the support team who will surely be able to help you on this problem.

Bye

hey guys, so I still haven’t heard back from the authors which is really annoying but I have been advised to go into FileZilla and that has helped. I deleted the theme altogether and the site was back up and running, I then decided to give it another try and I had the same issue come up. I copied the entire php section and the issue is with the line I highlighted. Can anyone see anything out of the ordinary or incorrect on there?

if(!function_exists(‘noo_get_resume_suggest_id’)):
function noo_get_resume_suggest_id(){
$cats = noo_get_suggest_tax(‘job_category’);
$locations = noo_get_suggest_tax(‘job_location’);

$args = array(
        'post_type' => 'noo_resume',
        'post_per_page' => -1,
        'fields' => 'ids',
        'post_status' => 'publish',
    );
    $resumes = new WP_Query($args);

$ids = array();

if (isset($resumes->posts) && is_array($resumes->posts)) {
        foreach ($resumes->posts as $post_id) {
            $job_category = noo_get_post_meta($post_id, '_job_category', '');
            $job_location = noo_get_post_meta($post_id, '_job_location', '');

THIS LINE if (empty(array_intersect((array) $locations, (array)$job_location)) && empty(array_intersect((array)$cats, (array)$job_category))) {
continue;
}
$ids[] = $post_id;
}
}
return $ids;

}

endif;

Why are you editing the php?

Without knowing what state your site is currently in then it is hard to advise in detail but to install a theme from here is usually just a case of using the WP admin and definitely shouldn’t involve modifying php files

I haven’t edited any of the php, I first used FileZilla to delete the theme entirely which worked and allowed me to access the WP admin again. I thought that maybe I had installed it incorrectly (silly I know) but after reinstalling the theme again I came across the same issue and was just curious if someone would be able to spot an error possibly. If the theme is installed then I can’t access my WP admin page so I’m a bit curious as to what I can do at this point.

Is your hosting php versions etc all up to date?

Perhaps this may help this is the entire error message:

Fatal error : Can’t use function return value in write context in /home/startups/public_html/wp-content/themes/noo-jobmonster/framework/functions/noo-utilities.php on line 2015

The reason I posted the PHP was just to see if anyone could spot an error. I have not done any editing at all.

I know that WP is for sure, how would I go about checking my hosting php versions?

It’s a pretty sizeable selling item and well regarded author - I’m pretty sure they will come back to it soon and are best placed to help

I appreciate your feedback, I posted on their forum over 10 hours ago and haven’t had a response. Hopefully it comes soon. Perhaps I’m just being a bit impatient. Thanks again for trying!

Says it can be 1 business day https://themeforest.net/item/jobmonster-job-board-wordpress-theme/10965446/support plus - time zones can confuse matters.

They are a relatively big author and replying fast to comments so it shouldn’t take too long https://themeforest.net/item/jobmonster-job-board-wordpress-theme/10965446/comments

Hi guys,

Charlie, the issue was the use of an old PHP version on my part. After I tried that it ended up working. Thanks again for the help to everyone. I truly appreciate it. The author did finally respond but I had already fixed it by then so all is well that ends well :slight_smile: