Render problems. Please Help!

Have 4 Mov files with a combined total of 1.4gb placed on seperate layers in AE CS4
Each file contains one of four scenes from an AE project i purchased

Render preview on all 4 files combined works fine and is very fast.

However QT movies does not want to or seem to start when i press render.
(all seem to get is ’ AE not Responding and AE then seems to freeze’)

All four files were rendered seprately using the same render method… QT.
Tried rendering just one scene instead and same thing happens.

Did try rendering a video done previous for another project and that works!

Just dont get it! Never come across this problem before even with big mov file sizes.

Can someone please give me any advice, would be grateful…

x

Can you tell us the pixel dimensions of the movies, the compression format, frame rate.

Also a screen shot of your render settings and output modules.

If it’s CS4, it’s probably a RAM thing.

-f.

Why not try to export as JPEG/PNG or TGA sequence?

Managed to resolve the problem now, but thankyou for your help and replies.

You can lock this thread now if you wish, Mr Moderator.

x

What was the problem / Solution, Jay? It would be great to add how you solved it to the thread. You never know there may be some others out there with a similar problem.

-f.

I agree with Felt, give us solution.

The initial problem still stands.
However to get around the problem, i resulted to using ‘export’ using QT settings instead of add to render queue instead.

The render was quite fast and the quality of the final output was perfect.

Did try and add that mov file to render queue with mp3 audio. This time, it worked perfectly too.

Still unable to understand why this problem arose in the first place.

It’s important to be quite precise about the steps you’ve been through. Export is a rather confusing term, because there’s actually an Export option under the file menu, which is something different to creating a movie using the Render Queue. In general, you should create movies from After Effects using the Render Queue.

When you press Render, if your render fails, then there will usually be an error log created, telling you what went wrong. “Failed” and the frame at which the render failed will also be visible in the Render Queue item. You can also set a render to write a per frame log file when you render.

When renders fail in CS4, it’s usually due to a RAM issue… an image that’s simply too big for CS4’s rather limited 32 bit memory buffer, for instance.

There are other reasons that renders fail, such as being unable to read a frame or similar, but RAM issues have got to be the number one reason.

Did the render fail on the first frame, or did it render a bit, then bomb out?

The solution to getting this to work properly probably lies in adjusting your Render Settings or swapping a very large piece of media for a smaller version.

Adjusting the settings in the Memory and Multiprocesssing settings under Preferences may also help.

-f.

I had the same problem using some stock MOV elements. AE would simply freeze when I hit render. I looked around a bit and found out that the QT isn’t really compatible with Windows, even the latest version has some annoying quirks. Anyway, turning multiprocessing off fixed the problem, render was slower but it did the job.

felt_tips said

It’s important to be quite precise about the steps you’ve been through. Export is a rather confusing term, because there’s actually an Export option under the file menu, which is something different to creating a movie using the Render Queue. In general, you should create movies from After Effects using the Render Queue.

When you press Render, if your render fails, then there will usually be an error log created, telling you what went wrong. “Failed” and the frame at which the render failed will also be visible in the Render Queue item. You can also set a render to write a per frame log file when you render.

When renders fail in CS4, it’s usually due to a RAM issue… an image that’s simply too big for CS4’s rather limited 32 bit memory buffer, for instance.

There are other reasons that renders fail, such as being unable to read a frame or similar, but RAM issues have got to be the number one reason.

Did the render fail on the first frame, or did it render a bit, then bomb out?

The solution to getting this to work properly probably lies in adjusting your Render Settings or swapping a very large piece of media for a smaller version.

Adjusting the settings in the Memory and Multiprocesssing settings under Preferences may also help.

-f.

Thankyou for your advice Felt.
Did resort to using EXPORT under the file menu in the end as AE froze when render was started via add to render queue.
Not one frame was rendered, so therefore no error was reported unfortunately.

Can only assume too that it was a ram issue, especially on my humble 32bit computer.

x