Rejected Item Feedback Request

Hi all,

Could I get some feedback on this rejected track? It’d be good to know what to focus on going forward.

Thanks,

Aphanasis

1 Like

Hi Aphanasis,

Really interesting track! There are a couple of things I would change, though.

First, the strings in the intro are panned to the right, which is kinda weird. The other thing is starting at 0:40 you have three melodies in the strings, brass and piccolos fighting for attention. IMHO it sounds a bit messy.

Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for the feedback! You may be right - there is quite a lot going on in that section.

Cheers,

Aphanasis

I think it’s an interesting track but it sounds a bit cluttered. You are probably going for a chaotic, frenzied feeling (like a spy car chase) but even within that feel there can be thematic material - something that the audience can hum. Part of it is also the mix. I think you can decide which part is the “main” line and which is “supporting.” Right now it feels like everyone has an equal voice and it’s contributing to things getting a bit cluttered.

1 Like

Very interesting song. The main problem might be the unbalanced stereo image. The strings on the right are covering all the sounds underneath them. The right channel is way louder than the left one. Try paying more attention to the panning of your samples.

1 Like

Hi both,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for the feedback!

I think you’re right in saying there’s a lot going on and maybe it is a bit too much to follow for the listener, especially given the track’s intended use. As far as the mix is concerned, it’s still my weakest aspect when it comes to preparing tracks, but I’m working on it! This is great feedback, thank you.

As above, mixing is definitely not my strong point, but I’m working on changing that. I did spend quite a long time on panning to try to fit everything into what is a dense arrangement, though it seems not long enough! I think I need to develop my ear for this sort of stuff because I often don’t notice very obvious problems until they’re pointed out to me, so thank you!

I really do appreciate the feedback from you both and it definitely gives me plenty to work and focus on going forward. It’s the first time I’ve done anything with this sort of feel, so it’s all a learning process as much as anything.

Thanks again,

Aphanasis

1 Like

If you want to improve your mixing skills, this video is great - https://youtu.be/cHxMsawJsTc

1 Like

This is great.

Thanks!