Rejected - feedback anyone?

Anybody with feedback about this piece of music, please chime in. Thanks.

4 Likes

Stephen,
I write orchestral music too, I think perhaps my last 5 tracks were rejected here, including a track that has sold hundreds of times elsewhere, so don’t feel too bad! If I had to critique your track, I would say the staccato strings at the beginning are a tad robotic sounding, and there is some weird tremolo thing going on around 0:52 - sounds like wow and flutter from a tape machine or something - but really, not sure if AudioJungle approves this kind of music anymore…I know they don’t approve my music anymore! Otherwise, nice piece!
Adam

Hey Stephen,
for me this is a really nice piece of orchestral music, but with a little restrictions.
First: @adammonroe is right with his criticism regarding the staccato strings at the beginning and the flutter at position 00:52. All other parts are really well orchestrated. There is a good tension.
I have some further points. From position 00:05 to 00:23 do you use Flugelhorns there? It’s sounding a bit weak - I don’t know if this was intended by you. Can you try french horns instead with a bit more expression (I mean more resonating). There is a really hard change at 00:23. From 00:00 to 00:23 it sounds a bit boring but then, at 00:23, it sounds great, varied and virtouos. I dont know, how to express it…it sound like two different pieces of music, From start to 00:23 from a beginner and from 00:23 to end like a professional composer.
Overall your sound is a little weak and dull. I guess, the samples you used come “out of the box” without any mastering. Your composition is great and wide, but the sound doen’t transport that impression. For commercial use - our customers belong to this target group - the most of them expecting a more bombastic sound. This has nothing to do with the real world and how an orchestra sounds at a stage. There are a lot of composers who defined this kind of sound as a common standard (Hans Zimmer, Steve Jablonsky, Harry Gregson-Williams). So you need to mastering you music, For a wider sound, I would also add a reverb.
There are a lot of things, you can do, to tweak your music for commercial use.
I will send you a PM. And sorry for my bad english.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback Adam. This was a live track using real people on real instruments, but it was several years ago and I no longer have the original reel. That glitch at 0:52 is (unfortunately) where the 2nd F Horn player missed his partial. That’s what happens when we let humans into the mix, so I knew this one was a long shot anyway. As you can tell, I like real humans playing real instruments, playing in a big orchestra. I wish I could make those Vienna Symphonic Library digital samples sound real but I haven’t yet cracked that code.

best,

ps. I’d love to hear some of your orchestral music.

1 Like

Hello again. That opening theme is doubled with Trumpet and F Horn. I think the weakness in sound might be due to the original mix, which I don’t have any way of changing at this point. But in the live performance it was big and powerful.

BTW - the longer concert version of this piece (performed by the La Mirada Symphony) was the music that got me into ASCAP. WooHoo!

I very much appreciate your feedback.

best,

1 Like