Refunds - a new can of worms!

Received first refund request with reason theme is not working :). I’ve used some of your words as such to get through it quickly before getting emotional :laughing: Thanks. I hope that’s fine.

Why do buyers even have the option to claim a refund when envato has already checked the items to make sure they work correctly ? doesn’t make any sense to me.

Not all items are compatible with other items / hosting environment / etc. Though buyers tend to abuse this and trying get stuff free.

PS: This topic was long dead btw.

I look at your post and have sympathy with you as authors. You have to get a balance between judgements. I think Envato has the edge to lean toward legal answers. I bought a product with a shopkeeper theme from 7uptheme on Envato Market. When I wished to buy I was only looking for the shopkeeper theme and I was directed to Envato Website. I have all tutorials and relevant installation material downloaded. Then directly under the SHOPKEEPER banner I saw the NEC +banner with its description. It said it varied from a shopkeeper theme by having a better reporting system for accountants. I made the mistake of reading “the shopkeeper theme” and took it for granted that this was a better product from the shopkeeper team. Im an accountant and could not find the references relating to reports in the theme. At this time I only had a buying code and not a key to use the theme. I never requested a key. I immediately requested a refund and the day after actually bought the shopkeeper theme. You see. Shopkeeper forced me to ask a key to launch, after I installed the theme but before I could work with it on my site, which i did and got with it a one year license. NEC never gave me a key and I do therefore not have access to the product unless it is just for uploading and looking. I think that at the time you request a key you pass the point where you can request a refund because you then have the right to use the product for that year. Because consumer protection is there for a cooling off period, which means I can make a mistake by buying it, Envato should produce an option on the purchaser to take a 14 key under review or something similar. If you have reviewed the product for 14 days the Author should have a key generated which has to be requested by the purchaser. Until that key is requested the client must have the right to redeem his funds. When he request that key there would be no further discussion of a refund. I have written programs and know that it is fairly easy to generate all these keys. I do it all the time in Visual Studio.

how i see refund may not be same for everyone but if someone ask me refund for a stupid reason whatever stars they gonna give me 1 or 5 i do not really care actually i know my product is working good and i will never be on my knee for a 5 star and never asked also for 5 star. Be proud of what you are doing and star mean nothing for most of buyers i see some product with a lot of low rating that sold every day still.

Do you really, really believe Envato can check every possible option? Some time ago I purchased an educational theme. Before making order, I even asked if theme can be used for mathematics website. The answer was “of course”. Purchased the theme, built a website. Several weeks later started adding math content using LaTeX language (with proper plugins installed, of course). Surprise surprise, over 50% of LaTeX forumulas were not displayed properly because of the way theme adds and outputs content to/from database.

So yes, I requested for refund, had some fight, but won it (because I was able to quickly prove theme has problems with mathematics-based content, while switching to another theme solved the issue instantly)