Refund - Account hacked?

I got a refund request with the following comment:

Hello,
My account was hacked and I had NEVER given out my password.
If you have access to your logs which you would then you’ll know that I’m currently in Japan; I’ve just deleted my credit card and changed my password.

Someone logged in and paid for items that wasn’t me.

Please help me to get my refund for these items (I will submit separately)

Now, I would give a refund no questions asked after I received this but there are some things that dont match here…

1. the refund request was sent 1 minute after the purchase (which is unlikely if the account was hacked)
  2. I see that the item was downloaded, but he doesn’t mention that

Anyone received similar refund requests?
I wanna give him refund, but I’m afraid that the product will come up on those nulled/warez sites. What shall I do?

Hello, the same has just happened to me. with the same identical message. I did not even answer because I immediately imagined it was a scam.

1 Like

doesn’t say anything for “hacked accounts”, could we get someone from moderators to clear this up?

Sounds suspicious, but regardless - if their account was ‘hacked’ that is nothing to do with you.

I would explain this and tell them that they would need to take it up with envato.

At the same time, I would also send a ticket to envato and make them aware of the situation, your concerns and the buyer’s ID.

3 Likes

Same just happened with me too.

Client and message are also same as yours !!!

What should I do now?

1 Like

I’ll listen to @charlie4282 for this, sounds wise.
thanks for such a quick reply

1 Like

me too…

Let envato know and either ignore them or tell them to get in touch with envato.

Aside from the fact that it is beginning to clearly sound like BS, it is actually the right thing to do even if it were genuine as hacked accounts are far beyond author’s remit, and it gives them no recourse.

@charlie4282 I declined the refund request with the following comment:

Hi Edward, sorry to hear that,
I’m sorry but I must decline your refund request for the following reasons:

1. Refund request was sent just a few minutes after the purchase (which is unlikely if the account was hacked)
  2. I see that the item was downloaded, but you don’t mention that, and I’m afraid that the item may appear on various warez sites.

If you have any proof that could backup the fact that your account was hacked, please contact envato support and they will review your information.

Also, please read this article on refunds: https://codecanyon.net/page/customer_refund_policy#not-refundable

But envato gave him refund anyway, what???

@charlie4282 I declined the refund request with the following comment:

Hi Edward, sorry to hear that,

I’m sorry but I must decline your refund request for the following reasons:

Refund request was sent just a few minutes after the purchase (which is unlikely if the account was hacked)

I see that the item was downloaded, but you don’t mention that, and I’m afraid that the item may appear on various warez sites.

If you have any proof that could backup the fact that your account was hacked, please contact envato support and they will review your information.

Also, please read this article on refunds: https://codecanyon.net/page/customer_refund_policy#not-refundable

Thanks.

As a MOD I can’t see the exact messages envato shared but I would definitely contact support explaining your concerns (definitely include the fact the request came only 1 min after purchase etc.) and that other authors are getting the same messages from the same people.

1 Like

I am having same problem with same message. I created another topic. Hope envato will review mine too.

Hello,
If you have access to your logs which you would then you’ll know that I’m currently in Japan; I’ve just deleted my credit card and changed my password.

Someone bought and requested a refund as his account was hacked. Same tone of message as this post Refund - Account hacked?. It is unlikely that it seemed legit. This could be their way to post the downloaded item at the author’s expense.

I will not approve the refund request unless proven and supported, or Envato intervenes of the right process. It is saddened to have such experience, to be hacked, but it is much of a despair if deceitful actions are tolerated.

Hello,

A member of envato market ordered my item of $30. About 30 minutes later, the same account requested for a refund that the item was bought by another person. In his statement, he said the person hacked his envato account and used his credit card to order it.

Now, I have 4 problems with this.
First, envato authority already refunded the money to him without my consent.
Secondly, The item has been downloaded successfully [ removed by mod, let’s not advertise more than needed ]
Thirdly, the said account seems to be deactivated now.
Lastly, how was it possible for his envato account to get compromised, because I believe this site is safe.

I don’t think I believe his story enough. Please help look into this as I’m a new author here. This seems strange to me and also presses a bad impression already after just 2 sales :).

Regards.

Is there a problem with hacked accounts on envato and why?

I didnt’ get that

I’ve combined multiple threads into one so that envato gauge how many people are experiencing this.

I’ve also invited envato staff but I am sure that their advice will be to contact support with the details of the request including item ID’s, buyer profiles etc.

As per above (this is not an official answer) - hacked accounts are not the author’s responsibility or job to address and as such any problems around this allegedly happening should only ever be raised with envato themselves.

I will decline it but envato already approve he’s refund request. :frowning:

1 Like

WOW! so am not the only one experiencing this! shit! This is a fraudulent act! and wont be accepted. I as an author just lost to both sides…1. my money, 2 my script (which might probably end up on warez sites) :frowning:

Also, I hate the fact that envato is refunding the payment without the author’s consent!

1 Like

They did samething to me…

1 Like